Edea overture: Is my blade too long? | Golden Skate

Edea overture: Is my blade too long?

jeeyulovesskating

Spectator
Hello, I’m new to this forum, and I’m a 15 yr old figure skater in Korea. I’ve trained in Canada for about 2 years, and for another 1 year in Korea.

We don't have many rinks as in Canada here, but one is very close to my house so I go there sometimes to relieve some ‘academic pain’(yk like due to studying).

I got edea overtures with a size of 250, and I have aspire 9 1/2 blades mounted on it. I used to have Jacksons back in Canada, and although I have skated with my edeas for about 20 hours, it still doesn't give me the comfortable feeling that I had with my Jacksons.

Now that I think back, when I got my edeas about 1 month ago, my technician told my that there were no blades with the size that edea recommended(like in the official website). And because the technician’s shop is far from where I live and it's hard to go back there, I just decided to get the aspire 9 1/2 mounted on my 250 overtures. The technician told me that there would be no problems on skating with them, but it's not 😭 and I think it's because I told him that I was no longer getting lessons in Korea, so I think he only thought that I was just skating through(like the normal ppl with rental skates) on public sessions. Well that's true, but still it isn't comfortable and I still do some tricks on the ice when there are few ppl skating in the rink.

Oh and I have problems with spinning is it because of the 8” rocker?

So I'm wondering, if this is due to the size mistake? Like the blade is too big for my edeas... Thank you for reading this and I hope for some good advice 🥹

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Don't panic, your blades aren't too big for your boots - unless some weird has happened and the base plate literally sticks out from under the sole/heel at either end. Edea recommend 9.25" or 9.5" for boot size 250.

Which blades did you have before on your Jacksons? If you had a better blade, then the Aspire will feel sticky and like a major step backwards.

Problems spinning are very common on the Aspire blades as they have a very flat rocker and my advice to you would be to upgrade to either a Coronation Ace or MK Professional, both of which have a lovely 7' rocker and are lovely intermediate blades, which will do wonders for your spinning. You could choose either 9.25" or 9.50". Measure the sole of the boot before you decide. Blades should be fitted flush with the toe of the boot but the heel is a matter of choice; some people like the blade flush with the back of the heel, others prefer it 0.25" in from the edge. Totally personal preference. I believe the MK Professional has a slightly longer heel, so you may want to take that into consideration when choosing.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

It sounds like these are the blades off your Jackson skates? If so, it is likely the boot not the blade that you are feeling. What model Jackson did you have? Perhaps you had more support in that boot or it fit your foot better?

Best of luck. I hope with time you will get more comfortable in your current skates. Public sessions limit what you can do, but in a way are great because they force one to do lots and lots of edges and turns! How are all eight of your 3-turns doing? Counters? Rockers? Loops? Twizzles?

Hwaiting! (for your studies :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm thinking it's your boot not your blade. If you liked and felt comfortable in your Jackson's, Edea is not going to feel secure enough for you due to the different way they are intended and made compared to secure ankle fit of Jacksons.

jeeyulovesskating

Spectator

Don't panic, your blades aren't too big for your boots - unless some weird has happened and the base plate literally sticks out from under the sole/heel at either end. Edea recommend 9.25" or 9.5" for boot size 250.

Which blades did you have before on your Jacksons? If you had a better blade, then the Aspire will feel sticky and like a major step backwards.

Problems spinning are very common on the Aspire blades as they have a very flat rocker and my advice to you would be to upgrade to either a Coronation Ace or MK Professional, both of which have a lovely 7' rocker and are lovely intermediate blades, which will do wonders for your spinning. You could choose either 9.25" or 9.50". Measure the sole of the boot before you decide. Blades should be fitted flush with the toe of the boot but the heel is a matter of choice; some people like the blade flush with the back of the heel, others prefer it 0.25" in from the edge. Totally personal preference. I believe the MK Professional has a slightly longer heel, so you may want to take that into consideration when choosing.
I think I had mark ivs…? I’m not sure
By the way, coronations aces and the mk professionals are too expensive(im still a student and I dont think my parents will buy me these blades)… could you recommend other 7ft rocker blades?

jeeyulovesskating

Spectator
I'm thinking it's your boot not your blade. If you liked and felt comfortable in your Jackson's, Edea is not going to feel secure enough for you due to the different way they are intended and made compared to secure ankle fit of Jacksons.
Oh I didn’t know that! Are edeas less stiffer than Jacksons?

jeeyulovesskating

Spectator
Hi,

It sounds like these are the blades off your Jackson skates? If so, it is likely the boot not the blade that you are feeling. What model Jackson did you have? Perhaps you had more support in that boot or it fit your foot better?

Best of luck. I hope with time you will get more comfortable in your current skates. Public sessions limit what you can do, but in a way are great because they force one to do lots and lots of edges and turns! How are all eight of your 3-turns doing? Counters? Rockers? Loops? Twizzles?

Hwaiting! (for your studies :)
Thank you 🙏☺️

I’m not quite sure, but I think I had the 1790 model. I feel like it’s harder to come to a stop on my new skates, and also harder to do crossovers and stuff… I think i feel more unstable in edeas, but it’s quite strange because my feet dont hurt and I think i got used to the edea heels

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh I didn’t know that! Are edeas less stiffer than Jacksons?
All boots have boots that are softer and some that are stiffer, and then the top elite boots that are very stiff.
Edea have their own kind of design where the ankles are NOT stiff like other brands. Many (including myself do not like this feeling and way of fit). Also, a 45 in a Jackson is not the same 45 in an edea.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think I had mark ivs…? I’m not sure
By the way, coronations aces and the mk professionals are too expensive(im still a student and I dont think my parents will buy me these blades)… could you recommend other 7ft rocker blades?
Some people seem to like Legacy 7s. I suspect they like the look. I can only recommend Coronation Ace and MK Pros, though.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi jeeyulovesskating,

I don't think there is a big difference between the Aspire and Mark IV blades -- they are both Jackson introductory blades. It is more likely that you just need to keep skating and try to find again, the sweet spot on the blade. Different heel height will mean you need to re-adust some for sure.

There also could have been a change in the sharpening. I'm surprised, but many skaters don't know what radius of hollow they skate on -- but it makes a big difference in how a blades interacts with the ice! For example, if you now have a much deeper edge (say 7/16" versus a more shallow 5/8") then stopping will be more critical and in general the blades will be more "grippy". So it is good to find out what you have now, and maybe it is possible to contact your previous sharpener and ask what he used to give you. Also, did they sharpen the blade after you bought it? If it still has the factory sharpening job, most of those are awful and pretty much un-skateable!

Can you do figure loops? Those are very good for finding the sweetspot on the blade.

Keep on skating :)

Chevalier

Rinkside
All boots have boots that are softer and some that are stiffer, and then the top elite boots that are very stiff.
Edea have their own kind of design where the ankles are NOT stiff like other brands. Many (including myself do not like this feeling and way of fit). Also, a 45 in a Jackson is not the same 45 in an edea.
Just wonder what makes many hate the edea's loose feel -
The sense of on the edge of getting ankle sprains/ the heel lifting off the shoe very often?
Or is it something else?

Those who stayed in Edea loved it so much (most people at my rink), while some can't stand it at all...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Personal preference. And some of the more "old school" amongst us prefer to have greater control over our edges. I tried them and didn't like them.
This exactly @Chevalier! I need to feel like my ankles are "locked in" there and secure for the 3-3's I do, etc. I also don't want more ankle issues and edea does not allow for my ankles to feel safe and like they won't get reinjured.

Not the main reasons, but also I don't find edea to be an aestheticly pleasing boot.

Alicea

Spectator

Hello, I am here because I really need assistance with blade sizing as well. I am switching from Riedell to Edea. I was recommended a boot size 250 for a snug fit or a 255 if I want a bit of wiggle room, however I want to use my old 9.5 inch blades. They told me I cannot on 250, I will not fit, however it will work on a size 255! And another US shop I emailed told me 9.5 inch blades will not fit on ANY Edea boots a 255 only fit 9.75 blade. However, I am curious after reading here a 9.5 could fit on both sizes... because I do like my boots really tight fitting. I don't know much about Edea and I asked girls in Edeas but they don't know much either. Just for reference no figure skates or blades are sold in my country except for beginner children skates-everything needs to be imported (Africa problems). So I need to be sure before spending so much money. If someone can find it in their heart to help me here, it is appreciated!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hello, I am here because I really need assistance with blade sizing as well. I am switching from Riedell to Edea. I was recommended a boot size 250 for a snug fit or a 255 if I want a bit of wiggle room, however I want to use my old 9.5 inch blades. They told me I cannot on 250, I will not fit, however it will work on a size 255! And another US shop I emailed told me 9.5 inch blades will not fit on ANY Edea boots a 255 only fit 9.75 blade. However, I am curious after reading here a 9.5 could fit on both sizes... because I do like my boots really tight fitting. I don't know much about Edea and I asked girls in Edeas but they don't know much either. Just for reference no figure skates or blades are sold in my country except for beginner children skates-everything needs to be imported (Africa problems). So I need to be sure before spending so much money. If someone can find it in their heart to help me here, it is appreciated!

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not a skate tech, so someone more knowledgeable than me might have a better answer for you!

Edea’s blade sizing chart recommends a 9.25” blade for the 250 and a 9.75” blade for the 255 - so, regardless of which size you pick, your 9.5” blade will only be 0.25” shorter or longer than the recommended length.

Personally - I wear the men’s Jackson Debut, which I upgraded to from the GAM Concept. Prior to getting new boots, I had gotten an amazing deal on an unused pair of MK Professional blades that were the right size for the Concepts (10.5”), but too short for the Debut (which called for a 10.25” blade). My tech said there wouldn’t be much (if any) impact on my skating with using a blade that was only 0.25” too long. In my case, the only thing I need to watch for is that the heel plates stick out a couple millimeters past the end of the sole, which my tech said could make it easier for moisture to get into the sole (they’re leather/cork soles) if I’m not meticulous about drying them after skating. To me, that’s a pretty small price to pay for not having to buy new blades! :)

Anyway - the point is, I think your current blades will be fine for either size.