Canada - US Relations | Golden Skate

Canada - US Relations

L

Ladskater

Canada - US Relations

Not meaning to get political here - It just really upsets me that Canada and the US had to come to "blows" over this darn war in Iraq. Darn that Sadam. It's too bad our leaders have to behave like children and can't "live and let live." Now our relations with the US are somewhat strained. George Bush cancelled his trip to Ottawa in May because he is upset with us. Oh brother!

PS - I am not one for controversial topics - so keep your comments light.

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

Re: Canada - US Relations

Let's play a game: Guess which word the more "patriotic" Americans will use in place of "Canadian". (Like "French" and "Freedom") I vote for "Christian". It starts with C, ends with -ian, and is almost the same length as "Canadian".

Next step: Fat cats in Washington changing their menu to serve Christian bacon.

Christian Day
Christian goose
Christian whiskey

"Drink Christian Dry!"

L

Ladskater

Swapping Christian for Canadian is not so bad - We are mostly Christian in this neck of the woods.

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

I think Canada/US relations are fine. I wonder sometimes about Mexico? BTW, the Mexican skaters were not as bad as one thinks. Both the Lady and Man were given lowest marks which they did not deserve. I sometimes think the judges have already placed the way low tier skaters before the competition. But you know how cynical I get.

Joe

V

Verbalgirl77

I'm hoping the Flyers - Maple Leafs playoff will help draw us closer together.

I mean, I hope we kick some Toronto butt :) but I hope we get a nice, long enjoyable series for both sides.

Verbalgirl
(Philly Fan - who is not at all bitter about the '93 World Series :) )

B

BronzeisGolden02

Mutual Respect

Well, I'm not all that concerned with how certain government officials view each other. They are neighbors and eventually will be forced to play nice and get along. But, as for the general view of the populaces, I think we've always felt a common bond and a closeness and this small spat really doesn't change that. Let government officials call each other petty names, etc., the general populations of both our countries seem to have no problems with one another. Imagine it...we common people are more apt to act like reasonable adults than our government officials!

K

Kzarah

Mutual Respect

The war has added strain to my already strained relationship with my brother-in-law. I call him grand draggon and will not spend holidays with he and his wife. They hate the French, Canadians and are constantly making remarks about just how they feel. I am Roman Catholic also, need I say more.
Joesitz
This is off the topic of Mutual Respect but, how were the Mexican skaters. How advanced were their jumps and spins.
Daniel and Little Lulu

L

Ladskater

BronzeisGolden02 :

I think you are right! Canadians as a whole want to heal the gap between us and our US neighbours. We still believe in our undefended border and want to keep it that way.

Ladskater

Y

Yankees Suck 01

I've seen cases of Canadians burning the US Flag in articles and I have also seen cases of Canadians having pro US rallies in support of the war.
It seems like a mixed bag.