who's gonna win 2010 olympic | Golden Skate

who's gonna win 2010 olympic

who's gonna win 2010 olympics part one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
now that 2010 is coming up in the next two years, i think it's safe to make predictions cuz spontaneous improvements won't happen cuz of the CoP system. it enforces it, but so far, no one is making it happen.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
all of the starting posts are the same but the polls are different. part one (this one) are the ladies, part two are the mens, part three are the pairs and part four are the ice dances. feel free to vote and post stuff on ur opinions.

krenseby

Final Flight
My prediction: Yukari Nakano

Yakuri is just blossoming now.... She has been in 5th for two years and will be ready to make the podium by 2009. She will reach her peak at about 2010 and come from behind to beat Asada, Ando, and Kim.

Remember, statistics show that no lady won the Olympics after two world titles. For that reason, I am very sure that neither Mao, Yu-Na, or Ando will win.

Ironically, Kimmie has better chances than all of them! She's got only one World title so far.

gio

Medalist
IMO, for the Ladies I think it is still too early to predict. The situation in the Ladies field is really uncertain now. We have three Japanese ladies and one Korean that have the potential. Kimmie can erase the gap between her and the mentioned Asian skaters in the next few years. We have to remember that in 2010 Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu will be eligible. And I'm not counting Russia out, because Maria Butyrskaya became a champion after disastrous seasons, when she wasn't able even to qualify. Elene Gedevanishvili has the potential too. Same with Caro.

For the podium the candidates are Mao, Yu Na, Miki, Yukari, Kimmie, Caroline, Mirai, Caro, Elene and an ipothethical Russian skater.

Last edited:
Remember, statistics show that no lady won the Olympics after two world titles.
Actually, that has happened quite a few times.

1908 Madge Syers (1906 & 1907 world champion)
1924 Herma Szabo (1922, 23)
1932 Sonja Henie (1928, 29, 30, 31)
1936 Sonja Henie (1932, 33, 34, 35)
1956 Tenley Albright (1953, 55)
1960 Carol Heiss (1956, 57, 58, 59)
1964 Sjoukje Dikstra (1962, 63)
1968 Peggy Feming (1966, 67)
1988 Katarina Witt (1984, 85, 87)

pista04

On the Ice
Shots

My gut is telling me that Kim will have an Okay short, and it will put her in third with Nagasu and Zhang (US Juniors right now, amazing) in 1st and 2nd. Kim will blow them away in the long, and it'll get her the gold. For some strange reason, my gut is telling me Asada wont be there.

Or, Ando or Meissner can take it. But, I voted Kim.

krenseby

Final Flight
Actually, that has happened quite a few times.

1908 Madge Syers (1906 & 1907 world champion)
1924 Herma Szabo (1922, 23)
1932 Sonja Henie (1928, 29, 30, 31)
1936 Sonja Henie (1932, 33, 34, 35)
1956 Tenley Albright (1953, 55)
1960 Carol Heiss (1956, 57, 58, 59)
1964 Sjoukje Dikstra (1962, 63)
1968 Peggy Feming (1966, 67)
1988 Katarina Witt (1984, 85, 87)

Mathman, I was referring to this decade and the last one. For those decades, the statistic held true. No lady was the Olympics after having won two Worlds medals.

Oh yes, quite true then.

But at least one of Asada and Kim are safe, since they can't both win two world championships in the next two years. :)

krenseby

Final Flight
Oh yes, quite true then.

But at least one of Asada and Kim are safe, since they can't both win two world championships in the next two years. :)

Keep in mind that the statistic refers to any medal not a gold medal in particular. Kim and Asada already both have one world medal. If both medal again next year, the statistics predict that neitehr will win Olympic Gold ;-)

With all that in mind, it's kinda possible that Kimmie will be kept off the podium for the next two years to remeerge strong during the Olympics and take the Gold!

Keep in mind that the statistic refers to any medal not a gold medal in particular.
That's actually quite a remarkable statistic. You would think that an Olympic champion could at least manage a couple of bronzes in the four years leading up to their triumph.

In the old days it seems like it was more common for one person to be the acknowledged best skater (or at least the best-connected), so that there is a clear favorite going into the Olympics, backed up by a couple of World Championships. Maybe figures had something to do with it, or maybe it's just that there are more athletes these days that are capable of jumping up and delivering the goods against a tough field.

But I think the main thing responsible for the recent anomaly is that Michelle Kwan won world medals in nine consecutive years :clap: , but couldn't grab that Olympic gold that ought to have gone with it. :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the Cop is going to change things, though. It's now easier than ever to take a sort of "up and down ride" to the top. Look at Arakawa, the 9th place finisher at 05 worlds who bounced back to take the OGM the next year! Ando, who finished 15th at the Olympics to come back and win the worlds next year! However, I think the trend will hold that whoever wins 2010 Gold will have stood on the world podium at some point in the four years leading up to the competition. So based solely on that we have:

Miki Ando
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Kimmie Meissner (2006)

So, no matter what kind of path they take between now and Vancouver, history is certainly giving them a legitimate shot :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
and what is Alyssa doing on that poll? with all those on there with potential...(I guess I shouldn't necessarily laugh, though- since 2010 is still a long ways down the road).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I don't think the winner has skated in a senior WC yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah, I didn't get it at first...:laugh: I was thinking of Kostner but then saw the Marai part...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
It will be a skater who is unknown to us at present. She will be a 16 year old when she wins, tho! :agree:

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I would have Zhang and Nagasu as options for sure before Czisny, and probably before Cohen(if she returns)or the erratic Kostner.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I vote for Kwan, Cohen and Slutskaya.

Dee