What rule changes would you like to see next season? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

What rule changes would you like to see next season?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personally, I thought it should have been declared a joint win.

I don't like tie-breakers in things where somebody's score is reached through combining a number of scores. Having tie-breaks makes the results inherently biased towards one part of the score, which is not fair. Because although one person may have scored higher in that part than the other person, to get a tied overall score it means that they also scored lower than the other person in another part.

No, let them both have the glory! Share the love!
The tiebreaker geared towards the free program implies two things :
1) it's making sure that in the case of a tied overall score, the winner is the skater who did best in the longer portion of the competition...
2) if's making sure as well, that in the case of a tied overall score, the winner is the one who did best in the last segment of the competition.

I think it makes a lot of sense for figure skating.

I did mention swimming in my answer above... but see, the point here is that they race at the same time and finish at the same time... pretty hard to find a tie-breaker :)

Weight lifting has the worst tie-breakers ever :) athletes are pretty much obligated to take a heavier load if someone else before them has succeeded it...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes yes yes, please! Do you have insight about why pattern was discontinued?
I am missing the pattern dance, after watching the RDs for some seasons now I finally started to recognise some patterns! It was indeed a great way to compare each team.

Not sure why they took it out, I heard something about keeping the sport interesting, but don't quote me on that!

yesterday

Record Breaker
I did mention swimming in my answer above... but see, the point here is that they race at the same time and finish at the same time... pretty hard to find a tie-breaker :)
You could always use the faster time from the round before.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You could always use the faster time from the round before.
That would be against the essence of the qualifying rules.
To qualify for a lane in the finals, a swimmer must achieve one of the best 8 times. The times will be then only used to determinate which lane will be assigned to the swimmer. Times from previous races/heats are wiped out. It's even part of the strategy to try securing a lane without committing a gigantic effort in order to have optimal chances to being fast (and rested) in the finals.

yesterday

Record Breaker
That would be against the essence of the qualifying rules.
To qualify for a lane in the finals, a swimmer must achieve one of the best 8 times. The times will be then only used to determinate which lane will be assigned to the swimmer. Times from previous races/heats are wiped out. It's even part of the strategy to try securing a lane without committing a gigantic effort in order to have optimal chances to being fast (and rested) in the finals.
Well it's done in other sports :shrug:

RUKen

Rinkside
After the men's result at Russian Nats I would like them to have ties.

Two skaters scored the exact same points over all, but only one got the gold, how is that fair?
This also occurred at the 2008 US National Championships. Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek each finished with 244.77 points, but Lysacek's free skate score was higher, so he was named the champion. I can still remember the look on Johnny's face when he saw that he had the same score but was listed in second place (Evan had skated earlier). I'm not sure if he knew the tiebreaker rule.