Blades of Glory.... thoughts? | Golden Skate

Blades of Glory.... thoughts?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I remeber i thread about this movie a few weeks ago.... a few posters said that they planned to see it. I wanted to know if anyone has seen it yet and what your thoughts were? As bad as expected? as good? funny?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well I did not see the movie it but there was a short clip on one of the entertainment t.v. shows. It showed Sasha (I believe she is wearing her RJ red costume ) with a group of other lady skaters at the boards and Will (Chaz Michael) is on center ice and he throws hls dance belt towards the ladies-Sasha catches it and sniffs it yells I love you Chaz.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I saw it today. I liked it. it was very cute. I think one would have to be a serious prude to really find offense anywhere in this movie. It was sort of a feel good movie. It wasn't incredibly funny but, I did LOL a few times.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Loved the inside jokes......watch for the names of the pair teams when the score board comes up! Will Farrell reminds me of bad boy Christopher Bowman - only not as cute. Sure there were the usual Will Farrell sex /rude jokes - but hey, its Will Farrell. :laugh:

The theatre was packed - and there can't be that many figure skaters in one spot. I was surprised at the number of older teen age guys - sans girls - there to watch the movie. They obviously came for the Will Ferrell factor!

If you don't catch it at the theatre, watch it a few times on DVD. I think it could turn into one of those cult-type movies that you need to watch over and over to get all the jokes.

Antilles

Medalist
I thought it was hilarious. Their routine at Nationals had me laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It was certainly silly, but very enjoyable. Lots of men there, so I agree they must have been attracted by Will Ferrell and his zany sense of humour.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I loved it (except for the lame love-story part but I think that was an attempt to make sure the audience didn't think Jon Heder's character was gay...). Very funny. The best thing is that the audience when I saw it - Friday night - seemed to be filled with a lot of high school age kids, boys mainly and couples on dates - which means not your usual skating demographic. I think it will definitely help the sport, it's just too bad they didn't release it sooner in the season to possibly get a few more tv viewers who might have tuned in after having their interest piqued by the film.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
It was just alright. I think it would have been better to use stunt doubles rather than CGI for the solo jumps and spins at the beginning of the movie. They were like "look a Triple Axle from Chaz!" but it was just a double?

Funnily enough, the film is getting pretty decent reviews for the type of movie that it is!

~Z

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I too wish they had used actual skating instead of CGI effects BUT the fact that they had to use CGI to recreate some of the tricks might reinforce in the minds of some how difficult they are to pull off.

I loved it (except for the lame love-story part but I think that was an attempt to make sure the audience didn't think Jon Heder's character was gay...).
Yeah, ITA but they did make the coach and the choreographer gay, did anyone else catch the stained glass window....? And b/c those 2 characters (the coach and choreographer) were the only sane (yet gay) people in the movie I kinda think in a way the movie was very gay friendly.

Jhar55

Medalist
Well just got back form seeing the movie, and it was ok guess just knowing that all that corny stuff would never happen in the real skating world did make it kind of boring.
When it first started the Chas character made me think of Michael Wise because of the choice of music no so much they way he acted. Jimmy was Johnny Weir down to the glove on the costume expect for the dove coming out we all know that wouldn't happen. Oh! and they used the old 6.0 system
I didn't think the coach was portrayed as being gay, the choreographer yes but so what. The evil brother / sister was not real funny but they had to have some kind of drama.
My thought on Sasha wearing her Romeo/ Juliet costume, was no you didn't just catch a dirty jock strap how sick.:laugh:
Anyway its worth the price of the early show, ($5.50) only saw one person with 2 small children walk out and the theather was about 1/4 full. When it comes out on DVD it will be worth waiting till it's on the 9.97 sale rack at Wal-Mart.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2007/3/bladesofglory

Y'all read that and you'll see it. It was subtle but there. I think they deliberately made it subtle for a reason: the article explains further why.

What, you didn't know that there were any gay characters in this movie? What, you've actually seen the movie and still didn't realize that there were gay characters? Funny, that — here's a movie about an industry that refuses to fully acknowledge the sexuality of some of its greatest champions, and it makes the deliberate point of pulling the same trick.

enlight78

Medalist
It was very funny. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I didn't think I'll be laughing the whole time. I didn't care for talledega nights or anchorman( not funny at all. Just riddiculus.) I thought this might be more of the same. It was worth the $7.00 but not as good as Elf. Best chase scene ever.

discoduck

On the Ice
I thought it was hysterical! Will Farrell's character reminded me of a cross between Michael Weiss and John Baldwin for some reason.:laugh: It's not classic cinema but it is very funny. Oh and Sasha was priceless in it!

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Went last night. Some very funny sections and they (Ferrel and Herder) are very funny. Sasha was awesome and she had on her dress from the LP at Olympics! Our family had a good laugh!

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Yeah, ITA but they did make the coach and the choreographer gay, did anyone else catch the stained glass window....? And b/c those 2 characters (the coach and choreographer) were the only sane (yet gay) people in the movie I kinda think in a way the movie was very gay friendly.

Did anyone else see the resemblence that Jon Heder's adoptive father had to Toller Cranston?

nubka

Final Flight
I saw it today. I liked it. it was very cute. I think one would have to be a serious prude to really find offense anywhere in this movie. It was sort of a feel good movie. It wasn't incredibly funny but, I did LOL a few times.

I guess I must be a serious prude, lol!! I took my 15 year old daughter to see it and I was embarrassed as heck by all the "I'm a sex-addict" scenes, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I though Will Ferrell looked like an old, seen-better-days version of the late Jim Morrision (of The Doors!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
nubka - I'm a major prude and proud lol the previews alone are enough to keep me from going

and the more I read, the less likely I am to watch it ever lol