2023 GPF: Men thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 GPF: Men thoughts?

icetug

Medalist
After this competition what I want is for USFS open the can of worms to increase BV for 4A and, while at it, start looking at BV for quints.
For Ilia's sake, I would prefer that no one tampered with BV of 4A, as it would generally be seen as favoring that particular skater. Ilia knew the value of the jump when he decided to practice it, the lowered in 2018 BV did not discourage him. Besides, I don't remember that there was an additional reward with an increase in BV when someone managed to perform 4Lo, 4Lz or 4F for the first time...

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
For Ilia's sake, I would prefer that no one tampered with BV of 4A, as it would generally be seen as favoring that particular skater. Ilia knew the value of the jump when he decided to practice it, the lowered in 2018 BV did not discourage him. Besides, I don't remember that there was an additional reward with an increase in BV when someone managed to perform 4Lo, 4Lz or 4F for the first time...
4Lo, 4F, and 4Lz were all landed well before the BV change in 2018. Additionally, the BV of those jumps make more sense when comparing them to the triple. They’re each about 5.5 points more than the triple. But this isn’t true for the 4A, which is only 4.5 points higher than the 3A. At a minimum, the base value should be raised by a point, but even that will be incorrect because the 3A is not considered a triple, but the bridge between 3s and 4s. The 3A is much higher than a 3Lz and slightly lower than a 4T. So the 4A should be much higher than the 4Lz but slightly lower than a 5T. Going by that, then the BV of the 4A should be 14.60 and a 5T about 16.

There were complaints about the 4A’s base value long before Ilia landed it and the ISU just sat on it for too long. You’re correct in that it’s too late to change it now. (Which is bitterly ironic). It is not too late to allow the 4A to replace the 3A in the short, however. This was a long time coming and should have been changed years ago. Ilia won’t be the only beneficiary of this rule change. When the ISU changes that stupid rule, they should add 5s to the scale of values.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
The biggest standout for me was how Kevin Aymoz seemed to channel all the emotion from the disasters he had with the jumps into the end of his free skate. He looked downright intimidating by the finishing pose. Many others would've given up, gone through the motions and lost all expression. That took grit and determination.

Yuma Kagiyama's artistry in his free skate was genuinely breathtaking.

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
There is plenty of flow and speed on the exits. And the height and position in the air is off the charts. As effortless as could be. So, 3-4.
In your opinion. Viewed on a screen, not in person. If you're coming at it from the point of view of being a huge fan of his then you're not being objective.

There are certain skaters that I'm a fan of. Doesn't mean those skaters should score higher or that they're 100% flawless.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Malinin's jump landings can be pretty ugly IMO, so I'm not shocked that judges would be stingy with the GOEs sometimes. The fact he seemingly can't bend his knees doesn't bode well for his physical capacity to win three consecutive Olympic golds either. He absorbs a lot of force when he comes down on the ice.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In your opinion. Viewed on a screen, not in person. If you're coming at it from the point of view of being a huge fan of his then you're not being objective.
I saw Malinin live. He is more impressive live than on TV. His jumps are so light and high, it's insane. I absolutely love them!

Also, what's with 3 Olympic cycles? Did Malinin said he wants to put 15 more years on the altar??? He's already going to be 22 in his first Oly year, if he makes 2026 Olympics.

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
I saw Malinin live. He is more impressive live than on TV. His jumps are so light and high, it's insane. I absolutely love them!

Also, what's with 3 Olympic cycles? Did Malinin said he wants to put 15 more years on the altar??? He's already going to be 22 in his first Oly year, if he makes 2026 Olympics.
I think that we are counting the current Olympic cycle as one of the three. He will only be 21 years old, and just barely his birthday in December, so him holding on till 2034 Olympics is clearly possible. If the 2034 Olympics were going to be held anywhere but America. He would most likely retire in 2030, but a home Olympics may keep him around longer because few skaters would miss a chance to skate on home ice at the biggest event of them all. Ilia likes a big stage and none are bigger than Olympic Games. If anything could give us fans more years to enjoy his skating it would be that. What final act to a great career to be able to get the gold on home soil. It is every skater ultimate dream to do that and it may be the prize that will make Ilia push back the pain and father time just for one last time to close out his career.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that we are counting the current Olympic cycle as one of the three. He will only be 21 years old, and just barely his birthday in December, so him holding on till 2034 Olympics is clearly possible. If the 2034 Olympics were going to be held anywhere but America. He would most likely retire in 2030, but a home Olympics may keep him around longer because few skaters would miss a chance to skate on home ice at the biggest event of them all. Ilia likes a big stage and none are bigger than Olympic Games. If anything could give us fans more years to enjoy his skating it would be that. What final act to a great career to be able to get the gold on home soil. It is every skater ultimate dream to do that and it may be the prize that will make Ilia push back the pain and father time just for one last time to close out his career.
As I said previously, as much as I love Ilia's skating, I'm only setting my eyes for certain on 2026 for now on Olympics he'll be in. That's what's in the immediate future. We don't know what'll happen. 2026 should be the main priority. Yuzuru Hanyu's last Olympics was in 2022, when he was barely 27, two years younger than Ilia will be in 2034. I say maybe pump the brakes a bit. Yuna Kim of South Korea retired after the 2014 Olympics and therefore didn't skate at her home country's Olympics in 2018 (And instead was the final torch bearer and lit the Olympic flame at the end of the Opening Ceremony). Could 2034 motivate him to do it longer? Perhaps. I'm not trying to be cynical here, I promise. I'm trying to be realistic.