Help on "Flutzing" | Golden Skate

Help on "Flutzing"

doubleaxel

Rinkside
I have a horrible flutzing problem. I am a clockwise skater, and I have a lot of trouble jumping off an inside edge. I can jump with no problem, but I automatically switch to an outside edge just when I am about to dig my toe into the ice. Does anyone having any good tips on the preparation/take off? I go into the single lutz with a CCW crosscut, then a small CW crosscut, and then pick. I am really stuck, and my coach says I have to get it correct at least 50% of the time and only then I can start working on my axel (and I really want to, haha). :frown:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Not that I'm a freestyle skater, but aren't you in fact lipping, not flutzing? The lutz is supposed to be off the outside edge. It's only a flutz if you switch to the inside edge at the last second. If the jump you're trying to do is a flip, and you're switching to the outside, that's wrong, as the flip is supposed to be on the inside.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Not that I'm a freestyle skater, but aren't you in fact lipping, not flutzing? The lutz is supposed to be off the outside edge. It's only a flutz if you switch to the inside edge at the last second. If the jump you're trying to do is a flip, and you're switching to the outside, that's wrong, as the flip is supposed to be on the inside.

What do you mean? Don't I have to take off of the inside edge since I land on the outside (the curve of the jump is supposed to make a giant "S", right?)?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
You take off from the outside edge for the Lutz. The edge you take off from has no bearing on which edge you land on...you always want to come down on your toepick and then onto the outside edge.

Only with the half-loop and the one-footed Axle do you land on your inside edge. Those jumps are basically extinct these days.

~Z

antmanb

Record Breaker
What do you mean? Don't I have to take off of the inside edge since I land on the outside (the curve of the jump is supposed to make a giant "S", right?)?

If you are tracing a long "S" on a lutz then it means you are flutzing and switching over to the inside edge - you should be taking off from a RBO edge picking in with the left toe (if you are a clockwise skater).

Ant

backspin

On the Ice
I think she means the tracing of the entire jumping pass, including the landing. In which case, yes, it would carve an S shape.....but that's because you are on a Right back OUTSIDE edge on the takeoff, and land on a Left back outside edge for the runout on the landing. If you take off from an inside edge, you're doing a flip, not a lutz (or a flutz if you're changing edge at the last moment), and you're also carving a continuous curve w/ your jump pass--not an S.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
backspin said:
I think she means the tracing of the entire jumping pass, including the landing.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just started learning the lutz so I am kind of confused. Well, if I am supposed to jump off the outside edge, I am not. I apologize for the confusion, I kind of got mixed up. In that case then, I am switching to an inside edge just before I pick, and I can't seem to jump off the outside.

Mafke

Medalist
I read somewhere that backward serpentine figures were excellent for training just this kind of edge control...

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Try to check the right shoulder forward when you take off. It should help you hold the edge. Also think about crossing the toeing foot behind the free foot to pick in. Your problem could be your picking in to the outside and because of that flipping yor edge. That might help you to pick straight back.

icestar

Rinkside
lutz

1. practice passing your right foot past your left toe pick keeping the blade on an outside edge. you can do this at the boards standing still.
2. keep you left shoulder all the way back on the preperation of the jump. when you reach back to put your toe in make sure the left arm goes back even further.

flutzing usually occurs when the upper body starts to prerotate, the shoulders go then the edge goes. try not to anticipate the rotation, it will rotate all by itself when the toe hits.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Thank you for the advice.

I went skating today and I actually did not flutz most of the lutzes I tried. I was working on just gliding on the outside edge and picking (with no jumping, just letting the foot glide back to meet the picking foot). I think it helped a lot.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
I have the same problem

i'll take some of this lovely advice for myself as I have a problem with flutzing too

congrats on finally not flutzing doubleaxel.