Please help - should I return my boots? | Golden Skate

Please help - should I return my boots?

SevAleyna

Spectator
I am a new adult skater that tried on Edea overture boots in my skate shop. They felt great, however, they unfortunately did not have my size (260). I then chose to order from an online store to get my correct size. I chose the boot only option and a coronation ace blade from many recommendations for my height and weight.

When I received by boots my blades had been mounted. However, they had been permanently mounted. I could also see a slight hole on the edge of my blades (in the image it can be seen on the edge of the blade at the heels). I then contacted the company and found out that they had used predrilled boots that had previously had a standard blade on.

I am concerned with whether I should be returning these and going elsewhere. Or whether I’m worried for no reason. I’ve been told that having blades permanently mounted from the get go is a bad idea. I also am worried that there are holes in the boot that haven’t been filled? However, my skate shop do not seem the most knowledgable themself (just a teenager selling skates)

Please advise! I don’t want to set myself up for failure before I even begin skating. I’ve had mix responses. Some say that the blade looks mounted well and it isn’t a problem- some say return.

I was reassured by the website that it was mounted correctly and they have 30 years experience. I have skated once with them and they felt fine.. I tripped on the toe pick but I am a new skater so I wouldn’t know any different.

Thanks for helping guys. Photo links below!

Last edited:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Welcome to the forum! :)

In general - it's true that it isn't great to have blades permanently mounted, sight-unseen. Blade position can depend on a few factors - but most importantly, whether you pronate (place your weight towards the inside of your feet) or supinate (place your weight towards the outside of your feet). The blades should be placed underneath your center of gravity as much as possible - so, for example, I pronate, so my blades are mounted a bit towards the inside to compensate.

The most obvious sign that something is off with the blade placement is usually trouble with either inside or outside edges/turns. For me, I was having a lot of trouble staying on outside edges - I'd tend to veer onto a flat, or if I tried to lean further into the edge, I'd overcompensate and lose my balance.

Issues with the mounting aside - it's definitely a bit sketchy that the shop sold you boots that had already been drilled and mounted, especially if they didn't patch the old holes before mounting the new blades! I think you'd be justified in returning them for that reason.

However, it's also true that supply chains for skating equipment are still insane - so if you want to minimize the amount of time you'd be without skates, another option might be asking the online shop if they'd be willing to reimburse you for the cost of having the holes filled and the blades re-mounted at a local shop (I have a feeling they'll say no, but couldn't hurt to ask?).

Hope this is helpful!!

SK4T3

Rinkside
Yeah they should have warn you that the boots you ordered with your blades; were from a Pre-Mounted set.

Yes; It was neat when they plugged the Holes with this Original part:

carbon-filler.jpg
:

But; in my opinion the hole that is visible on your picture is not near the new-drilled-hole.

Overall; Judged by the pictures; It's a nice Blade Mounting if you don't have Pronation issue's.

It's up to you to decide!

Elija

On the Ice
It’s not uncommon for beginner boots to come fully mounted, but they should have told you they were removing the stock blades and putting the ones you ordered on. That said, the mounting looks fine, so if they feel fine I would just go ahead with them. It’s not really an issue with edea not to have the holes plugged, as they aren’t leather so won’t rot. I’ve got so many holes in my boots from the blades being moved around and while it’s not pretty it doesn’t cause any issues.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It’s not uncommon for beginner boots to come fully mounted, but they should have told you they were removing the stock blades and putting the ones you ordered on. That said, the mounting looks fine, so if they feel fine I would just go ahead with them. It’s not really an issue with edea not to have the holes plugged, as they aren’t leather so won’t rot. I’ve got so many holes in my boots from the blades being moved around and while it’s not pretty it doesn’t cause any issues.
Except, I believe OP said they got an Edea Overture which isn't beginner boots that come premounted.

SK4T3

Rinkside
Except, I believe OP said they got an Edea Overture which isn't beginner boots that come premounted.
Do you mean Overture aren't beginner boots or they don't come premounted?

Here in Europe, they come both Premounted and as Seperate Boots. But over the years they came with different blades (MK21, Mark IV, Balance and Rotation.

It's easier to find premounted Overtures than Boots Only. They leave Factory that way (in different sizes of Boxes because of their height with blades)

Elija

On the Ice
Overtures do very often come premounted and is what all the beginners are sold where I live 🤷‍♀️ literally every adult starting skate school where I used to coach is in a premounted overture, they don’t sell them without blades in a lot of countries.