Thoughts on the season so far | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on the season so far

bekalc

Record Breaker
Sorcer, I don't think Fumie was a victim of the new system last year. Fumie beat Nakano once last year, at the NHK trophy which was the reason Fumie made the GPF and Nakano didn't......(If Nakano had beaten Fumie, she would have gone) But Nakano beat Fumie at the Asian Games and at Japanese Nationals. So in reality 2 out of 3 meets went to Nakano.. Nakano deserved her worlds spot..

I don't see a problem with taking previous results, but I think it needs to be weighted to recent results.....Nakano was clearly skating better than Miki that season and that should have been taken into account...

sorcerer

Final Flight
I don't see a problem with taking previous results, but I think it needs to be weighted to recent results.
ITA!
...So in reality 2 out of 3 meets went to Nakano.. Nakano deserved her worlds spot..
Oh. Face-to-face-meet-wise, it might be.
But Fimie had collected better placements than Yukari before the Nats; at least equal if not counting the GPF.
Suguri:
Japanese Championships 4th
Asian Winter Games 2nd
(Grand Prix Final 4th)
Skate Canada 2nd
NHK Trophy 2nd
Nakano:
Japanese Championships 3rd
Asian Winter Games 1st
NHK Trophy 3rd
Cup of China 2nd

So I think Nakano did profit from the one-shot system.
And Fumie who's pride crumbled (IMO) being sent to 4CC did very badly there.

bekalc

Record Breaker
ITA!

Oh. Face-to-face-meet-wise, it might be.
But Fimie had collected better placements than Yukari before the Nats; at least equal if not counting the GPF.
Suguri:
Japanese Championships 4th
Asian Winter Games 2nd
(Grand Prix Final 4th)
Skate Canada 2nd
NHK Trophy 2nd
Nakano:
Japanese Championships 3rd
Asian Winter Games 1st
NHK Trophy 3rd
Cup of China 2nd

So I think Nakano did profit from the one-shot system.
And Fumie who's pride crumbled (IMO) being sent to 4CC did very badly there.

But the only reason Nakano didn't make the GPF was because Fumie beat her at NHK. So, your arguing kind of that the one shot should have been at NHK... It's not like Fumie medaled at the Grand Prix Final either...Two out of three times, is still two out of three times... Just because Fumie beat Nakano once at NHK, doesn't mean that Fumie deserved the worlds spot over Nakano. Their results for the rest of the season proved otherwise.

sorcerer

Final Flight
So, your arguing kind of that the one shot should have been at NHK
Hey, your brain works good!
I must have had some bad influence from the JSF. :laugh:
Okay, without the GPF, the two were equal before the Nats (neither prevailing).
So one-shot-system or not, the Nats was the determinater in this particular comparison of two skaters, if limited* within that season and counting from the same number of games. (* I think it should be limited to that specific season, too, in case of taking previous events into account.)