Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Discussing weight issues is a legitimate topic when it is related to sports (many have weigh-ins.) Weight is something that can be controlled. I work periodically to keep mine under control--have just lost 8 pounds with more to go. So I speak from experience. And I know that any good coach will discuss this with his figure skaters. If not, he is remiss. Emily is very attractive--and I agree that she should not be classified as fat. But as said earlier, there is probably an ideal weight for any skater, and it is up to his/her coaching team (which hopefully includes a physician or physical trainer) to advise. I would like to see Emily in condition to skate her very best. After all, she is world class and extremely popular with skating fans.

P.S. We know what happened to sister Sarah following her Olympic win and how it seriously affected her jumps....Enough said, from me!!!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
She does look a little chunkier but I think she's in okay shape. I actually like her CB LP quite a lot. It's one of the better (I know that's bad grammar) choreographed programs for women this season IMHO and her spins (espec layback) and spirals are nicely done. Footwork is so so. IF she can rotate her jumps I think she can stand on the podium at Nats and make top ten at Worlds.

netnuts

Match Penalty
She does look a little chunkier but I think she's in okay shape. I actually like her CB LP quite a lot. It's one of the better (I know that's bad grammar) choreographed programs for women this season IMHO and her spins (espec layback) and spirals are nicely done. Footwork is so so. IF she can rotate her jumps I think she can stand on the podium at Nats and make top ten at Worlds.

It is NOT 'okay' if she wants to medal... She already had a tendency to underrotate her jumps in past season. Addtional weight will only throw her further off track.

Jump is a very precise movement. Skaters, especially female skaters' jumps can be gone overnight if their physical shape just alters slightly.

Lu Chen's jumps were all gone in 1997. According to her recount, she had to shed 20 lbs to compete for 1998 Olys. Even so, her jumps were still far from ideal at Olys. Lu Chen by no means was 'fat', or even 'chucky' in 1997.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I just finished watching her CB LP again. This is a lovely program and as you said one of the better choreographed ladies program this season. Maybe the difficulty is not there compared to some of the other ladies but it looks darn good to me. It fits Emily perfectly. I enjoyed it very much and I think competitively it will do well if she fixes her jump problems.

Yellow Cat

Rinkside
She is a good skater and has true lutz and flip, but I highly doubt she'll be in Vancouver. The up and comers are getting stronger year by year. I bet the US Olympic team will be Meissner and two among Zhang, Nagasu, and Wagner.

Not to pick on you by any means, and I haven't read the rest of the thread to see if this is already mentioned...but A LOT can happen between now and 2010. I'd be willing to bet that by 2010, at least one of the above will not even be in the mix (burnout, injuries, puberty, etc.) I'm not ready to write off the older girls (esp. Meissner) till the jumping beans get hit by the puberty monster. Just a thought. :)

If we all think Kimmie will not land on the podium, then Emily will have to be a back up as well as Ashley. Kimmie at her worst should be 5th in Worlds. We need a Lady to get 8th so that Mirai and Caroline will get to Worlds 2009.

Sad to think we are wishing a top 10 from 2 skaters and then forgetting about them. C'est la vie.

Joe

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
It is NOT 'okay' if she wants to medal... She already had a tendency to underrotate her jumps in past season. Addtional weight will only throw her further off track.

Jump is a very precise movement. Skaters, especially female skaters' jumps can be gone overnight if their physical shape just alters slightly.

Lu Chen's jumps were all gone in 1997. According to her recount, she had to shed 20 lbs to compete for 1998 Olys. Even so, her jumps were still far from ideal at Olys. Lu Chen by no means was 'fat', or even 'chucky' in 1997.

I hope Emily proves you wrong and you have to eat your words (including the high caloric upper case shouts) and gain weight from the experience,

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
My expectations for Hughes have been lowered due to her attempting to balance full-time college schedule and skating. However, my eye is mostly on Meissner this time around. The third spot will be a race between the remaining eligibles.

fairly4

Medalist
all skaters have been known to gain weight on the "off season" due to other commitments other than skating, but once the skating season started they all got back to their skating weight. so let it rest.
except Sasha during the 2006 season she looked anorexic.(way to thin).
But back with Emily, she came back fighting at Nationals last year. I can't help but think the same won't happen this year. The only mitigating factor is her year a college.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Emily is nearly 19 and Joannie, nearly 22. I would say that Emily is still more likely than Joannie to overcome her deficiencies, because they are technical in nature, whereas Joannie's are emotional. If Emily took a hiatus from school, she might be able to get back in good fighting trim, while it appears to me that Joannie's skills seem to have peaked and she is reluctant to take a step up.

And if Canada is down to one Ladies spot in 2010, whose fault would that be? Mira has improved enough to be sure of staying out of the bottom 6 going into the FS. So if Canada lost the second spot, it would be because Joannie finished out of the top 10, and pretty close to Mira. Under those circumstances, Canada might want to go with a new shooter.

I agree wholeheartedly. If Emily finishes off the podium in this year's US nationals and still intends to skate competitively, Skate Canada should consider offering her a spot in the team Canada. She has dual citizenships and skating fans in Canada have a soft spot for her.

The ladies field in Canada is pretty bleak. When Joannie retires, it would be extremely difficult to hold 2 spots to the Worlds. If Emily can keep up with her skating and skates for Canada, she can blow any competitions from Canadian ladies to pieces and help Canada retain 2 berths internationally.

Look at, there are a lot of US imports in CFL. A lot of them are happy to settle in Canada even after their retirement. Why wouldn't Emily?

If we take into account Caroline and Mirai as being on the podium with Kimmie then Emilie (and Ashley) will not be on the podium. However, if Hersch's gloomy article on Kimmie is valid, maybe Emilie or Ashley will be on the podium with the two wunderkinds.

It's a wait for the results of the US Nats and moreso for the announcement by the USFS on who will be on the most important World Team in years.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a wait for the results of the US Nats and moreso for the announcement by the USFS on who will be on the most important World Team in years.

Joe

I think 2009 will be the most important World Team in years. This year will be important, but not as much as next year.

I think 2009 will be the most important World Team in years. This year will be important, but not as much as next year.
I agree but it is the 2008 Worlds which will determine the number of Ladies allowed to go to the 2009 Worlds. It may be only one and thus 2010 Olys will be in jeopardy.

Joe

netnuts

Match Penalty
I agree but it is the 2008 Worlds which will determine the number of Ladies allowed to go to the 2009 Worlds. It may be only one and thus 2010 Olys will be in jeopardy.

Joe

It's not that grim. I think Sylvia did the math, it's almost impossible to come down to just one spot for 2009.