Ask any question - skater's version | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ask any question - skater's version

Lanie

On the Ice
No...mainly because there are hardly any guys at our rink! :) And if they are they're hockey players who constantly make fun of us figure skaters. *sigh*

What is the one thing about your skating you are working on changing/fixing and/or want to change? For me it's the edge control and posture department. Working on that... very, very boring, but necessary!

skatepixie

On the Ice
mostly I wanna keep going the way I have been except that I need to be able to turn CW as well.

Can you turn in both dirrections?

aly*cutie

On the Ice
The jump would be the lutz and the spin would be a scartch spin.

How old were you when you started skating?

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I skate 3x a week in the mornings starting at 7:10, for approx. 1 hr 20 minutes and 1x a week on Friday afternoons at 1:10 for 2 hours.

Are there a lot of politics at the rink you skate at?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I'm going to break an "Ask any question" rule and address Skatepixie's question. I often skate with kids (I'm 38), and, especially on my club ice, I really enjoy skating with them. We are all skaters, and once they get used to skating on the same ice as someone who is old enough to be their mother :rolleye: we have good skating times out there.

Now, for Cinder's question, yes there are rink politics at my club. However, I think that most of the time things are ok at my club. The majority of the politics seems to involve the synchro program, which is no surprise due to the number of people involved.

What are your short-term skating goals? (For example, my goals are to pass the Intermediate MIF and to land that darn 2toe.)

starshinexavier

On the Ice
-Compete my Gold Interpretive in November
-Try out and hopefully make the Varsity Skating team at my University
-Compete in Gold Triathlon ( creative skills exercise, Interpretive program, freeskate program) in January, and hopefully advance to Regionals. (the odds are in my favour since no one competed in that level in the Interclub competition I'll be competing in)
-Pass Gold Dance Test. ( I give myself 4 years for this, so it's not really short-term)

What type of music do you like to skate to during a stroking session, or when you're not in a lesson or something like that? (For me, it's classic rock or 80's pop. Nothing like the Who or David Bowie to get you moving! ;))

Norlite

On the Ice
starshinexavier said:
-Compete my Gold Interpretive in November
-Try out and hopefully make the Varsity Skating team at my University
-Compete in Gold Triathlon ( creative skills exercise, Interpretive program, freeskate program) in January, and hopefully advance to Regionals. (the odds are in my favour since no one competed in that level in the Interclub competition I'll be competing in)
-Pass Gold Dance Test. ( I give myself 4 years for this, so it's not really short-term)

Sorry, a little off topic, starshinexavier- it seems that last year (first year) not many entered this event from any of the sections (I'm NOS) but I have heard from many of the girls in this section, and COS (where my daughter skates in summer) that they all plan on entering. ;)

Good Luck to you! Hope to see you at All Ontario! And good luck with those Gold Dances!

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Norlite said:
Sorry, a little off topic, starshinexavier- it seems that last year (first year) not many entered this event from any of the sections (I'm NOS) but I have heard from many of the girls in this section, and COS (where my daughter skates in summer) that they all plan on entering. ;)

The most girls entered in Gold Triathlon in WOS at an interclub last year was 7, and that was in the Hallwent Region (my old region), the rest had 1-4. Most in WOS are competitive and can't compete in Provinicals. Thanks for the good luck!

Once again........What type of music do you like to skate to during a stroking session, or when you're not in a lesson or something like that? (For me, it's classic rock or 80's pop. Nothing like the Who or David Bowie to get you moving!:D )

Last edited:

starshinexavier

On the Ice
For me, it would have to be techno or pop. I know for the most part it has a good beat, but IMO, that's the only thing good about it.

On average, how much time do you spend on the ice in a week? On average, how many lessons do you get a week?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
3-5 hours on ice "in season," and 2-3 hours per week in the summer. I get two half an hour lessons each week, and it looks like I'll be adding synchro lessons soon.

What is you ULTIMATE skating goal? (realistically speaking, of course!!!):)

sk8er1964

On the Ice
To qualify for the Championship Gold round at Adult Nationals.

What do you do for off-ice conditioning?

SugarCoated

Rinkside
I dance. I'm in an intensive dance program right now (about 5 hours of dance a day for 2 weeks). On a reg basis i just stretch and run.

Whats the meanest thing your coach has ever said about you/your skating?

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
My coaches never said anything "mean" to me.

Have you ever had an accident on-ice? (not just a fall, but anything more serious)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
This summer, I skated into an "ice mine" and fell to my knees and slid head first into the boards, smacking and bruising my forehead. Thanks to my usual crash pads I didn't hurt my knees, but it was scary.

What's the best "little tip" you ever learned from a fellow skater at a skating board?

icenut84

Final Flight
Well, I'm not sure if it counts as a tip, but someone once said that if you're nervous about trying something, take a deep breath and just do it. Good advice! :)
Another thing I once read was that you could never practice/improve your basic skating and turns enough. After reading that, I made sure I worked on it every session, as sometimes the basics (e.g. 3 turns) can be neglected (once you think "Ok, I can do that now"), especially if you're working on a particular element a lot. I'm definitely glad I listened (or should that be read?) now.

What do you want to have accomplished by the end of the year? I want to have (at least partially) mastered a proper scratch spin.