Finding time to skate (adults) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Finding time to skate (adults)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Most skaters don't start as morning people. Skaters become morning people by necessity because morning ice time is usually the most available... since everything 5pm and onward is given to hockey.

I didn't think I'd ever do 5am morning sessions when I first started, but only a year in, I picked it up and have been doing it for years at this point because it was the only way to get enough ice time and lesson time.
I think it depends on the region/country.
At my local/home rink, they give the weekday early mornings to the local hockey team practices and figure skating starts at 11:30 am. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays there's 3 hours of public session until 4:30 pm and figure skating club practice starts after the zamboni (4:50 pm). Definitely nothing going on at 5 am, thankfully :ROFLMAO:
On Saturdays figure skating starts at 9:45 am, which is the earliest time on the week and goes until noon when the public session starts
The longest figure skating practice time around here is always after the public sessions which end at 4:30pm
When I started skating I thought I'd have to wake up mega early as I did for 20+ years for ballet, but was SO happy when I saw it wasn't the case, at least for here.

Littlerain

Rinkside
I think it depends on the region/country.
At my local/home rink, they give the weekday early mornings to the local hockey team practices and figure skating starts at 11:30 am. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays there's 3 hours of public session until 4:30 pm and figure skating club practice starts after the zamboni (4:50 pm). Definitely nothing going on at 5 am, thankfully :ROFLMAO:
On Saturdays figure skating starts at 9:45 am, which is the earliest time on the week and goes until noon when the public session starts
The longest figure skating practice time around here is always after the public sessions which end at 4:30pm
When I started skating I thought I'd have to wake up mega early as I did for 20+ years for ballet, but was SO happy when I saw it wasn't the case, at least for here.

So jealous! It seems like the rinks here have daytime public skates for a lot of the afternoon as well and then freestyles from like 5/6am until 10am. I did sneak out of work for a little bit of a public skate yesterday - as we work from home Mondays & Fridays - but typically do not have time to do this!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
So jealous! It seems like the rinks here have daytime public skates for a lot of the afternoon as well and then freestyles from like 5/6am until 10am. I did sneak out of work for a little bit of a public skate yesterday - as we work from home Mondays & Fridays - but typically do not have time to do this!
Since not only adults but also many kids are competitive skaters and do participate in figure skating club practice, it makes sense to have figure skating later in the day, since these kids go to these activities after school, not before, so having figure skating freestyle sessions and club practice start after 4:30 pm allows them to have time to arrive after their school day is finished (some of them come from quite far).
On Mondays and Wednesdays the freestyle (2 hours) that is for those in the group technique coaching sessions (1 hour from 11:30 to 12:30) starts from 12:30, finishes at 2:30 pm, but the audience are intermediate/advanced adults and there's no public sessions on these days. The rink rests for 2 hours and then again club practice etc (figure skating). Edge technique classes, spin/jump classes etc all happen after 4:30 pm and for club members only (schedule varies from month to month).
Some skaters have private lessons during public sessions (especially during the week when only a few people go), but these are always in the afternoon.

I'll mention to my coach tomorrow that the rink should start having figure skating from 5 am, see what she says :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Arwen17

Final Flight
Hello! I'm always happy when I see another adult revisit their love of skating. I'm just here to echo what others have said that you can become a morning person over time once you build the habit. I'm lucky (and so grateful) that my schedule is pretty flexible. Skating mornings is a preference for me, because I'm just sharper then. But the other adults in the early mornings are people who have just built up the wake and skate routine over time. A bonus I've found: when I'm surrounded by the younger, stronger "before school" teenagers, it makes me work and try harder.
Best of luck going forward :)

mmmmhhh... I'm still not a morning person. I just make it happen because if I don't, I don't get to skate. So I go to bed on time so that its possible to drag myself up in the morning for skating. As long as you get enough sleep, it doesn't matter if you're not a morning person. Same if you were someone who had to work night shift. It's all on if you can get enough quality sleep before you go into work a night shift.

It's too bad rinks aren't open at night. I would happily skate then after sleeping all day.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I just went through the searching process today in the Vancouver, BC area. 95% of both public and private rinks there don't allow jumping or spinning on public skates. One municipality doesn't have rules against it, but only if it's not too busy. Some rinks have figure skating-specific sessions, but only certain days. That leaves city-run lessons and figure skating clubs which might allow drop-ins. And if you're already in a figure skating club apparently others can be hesitant to call you back because they don't want to be seen to be trying to poach you. So it's hard to find places to figure skate if you're not in a club, but it can be possible.

I appreciate being in a club right now though. Morning and evening sessions are available. And near where I live you can get away with figure skating during public skates if it's not too busy.

Last edited:

Littlerain

Rinkside
mmmmhhh... I'm still not a morning person. I just make it happen because if I don't, I don't get to skate. So I go to bed on time so that its possible to drag myself up in the morning for skating. As long as you get enough sleep, it doesn't matter if you're not a morning person. Same if you were someone who had to work night shift. It's all on if you can get enough quality sleep before you go into work a night shift.

It's too bad rinks aren't open at night. I would happily skate then after sleeping all day.
Same! I cannot drag myself out of bed for most things lol. Currently battling my habit of snoozing 30min to an hour daily when my alarm goes off for work 😂😂😂

desertskates

Medalist

Ok, maybe not everybody :sneaky: Early riser might just be in my DNA. I definitely would not join in on the night skates, it would mess up my early bedtime.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

I absolutely agree. If my rink changed schedule and said now our skating time is morning, I'd definitely and unhappily make it happen and be there whatever time I'm told. But no, it was a lifetime of having to wake up early for ballet even though I absolutely loved ballet, I hated every second of being out of bed that early. These days I have zero reason to be out of bed before 10 am.
Some people function better during the morning/day and others are at his/her best potential at later hours (me and other night owls).

The latest they allow us to practice/skate is 10 pm (usually before competitions/exhibitions), but same as you, I'd happily transfer all my practice time to night hours.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
I’m excited to get back into skating and have signed up for a private lesson (the first in years!) this Saturday. However, when talking with this coach, it seemed like she did not have much lesson time available on the weekends and her weekday availability was before 5pm. Understandably, but I’m just swamped at work lately so it doesn’t leave me a lot of options for practice or lesson time. I assume getting lessons on freestyles in the mornings could be an option, but I’m just not a morning person and might have to become one. 😂

So! I was just curious how often you all skate, and how you’ve managed a decent amount of lessons/practice, etc in addition to work & other life commitments! I understand I may have to reprioritize things and so I suppose my question is mostly what you all have found works best in your routines!
I'm sorry that you have so much work. I've had different jobs and some of them work well with the skating schedule and others didn't. I was very sad when I had a job that required so many extra hours that I could not longer skate or no longer had the energy to skate because work was so stressful. Work politics had also very much worn me down and there was some bullying about the skating from my coworkers and management. I didn't skate much that season at all.

The way I made it work was... a different job! I switched to part time work with clearer boundaries and a healthier work life balance. I have been much happier and skate a lot more. Maybe this isn't realistic for you, though.

We mostly have noon or night sessions here with a spattering of early morning sessions. I've had to arrange my work schedule so I can make some of each and for right now, it is working. The hardest is a night session followed by morning the next day. The rinks require a commute so I may get home at 11:30pm and then head out at 7am the next morning for a session. That is the worst. I try to avoid it, but because I am doing ice dance this season, I need to also accommodate my dance partner's schedule. We have a short season here with the outdoor rinks being open from Nov/Dec until Feb/March and keeping this in mind helps me stay motivated to get to those sessions. What is it like for you? Do you have a year-round rink?

I am not a morning person. I will do it for skating, but have way less energy and interest vs. night session. I'll be honest, sometimes I just can't make the morning sessions, even if I planned to go. Don't be too hard on yourself. I try to caffeinate myself properly for the morning session and eat properly. It helps my motivation to have a friend who is also going to the session or a lesson scheduled so I feel morally obligated to show up. If I have no one at a morning session who is expecting me, I am sleeping instead! Do you have a skate friend?

gorgonzola

Spectator
I'm sorry that you have so much work. I've had different jobs and some of them work well with the skating schedule and others didn't. I was very sad when I had a job that required so many extra hours that I could not longer skate or no longer had the energy to skate because work was so stressful. Work politics had also very much worn me down and there was some bullying about the skating from my coworkers and management. I didn't skate much that season at all.

The way I made it work was... a different job! I switched to part time work with clearer boundaries and a healthier work life balance. I have been much happier and skate a lot more. Maybe this isn't realistic for you, though.
I think there are some adults who don't understand "adult skating" as a concept, so nobody at my workplaces know that I skate regularly. It's deliberately hidden so I don't have to deal with the workplace trampling over what they might deem unessential.

SK4T3

Rinkside

Like to hear you have found the balance; I don't like the bullying :mad:

People become more healthier. (and getting older) Soccer, Baseball, Basketball (for example) are established sports.

Also like this topic to exchange experiences and our solutions to find "available" Ice 🧊⛸️

Littlerain

Rinkside

We mostly have noon or night sessions here with a spattering of early morning sessions. I've had to arrange my work schedule so I can make some of each and for right now, it is working. The hardest is a night session followed by morning the next day. The rinks require a commute so I may get home at 11:30pm and then head out at 7am the next morning for a session. That is the worst. I try to avoid it, but because I am doing ice dance this season, I need to also accommodate my dance partner's schedule. We have a short season here with the outdoor rinks being open from Nov/Dec until Feb/March and keeping this in mind helps me stay motivated to get to those sessions. What is it like for you? Do you have a year-round rink?

I am not a morning person. I will do it for skating, but have way less energy and interest vs. night session. I'll be honest, sometimes I just can't make the morning sessions, even if I planned to go. Don't be too hard on yourself. I try to caffeinate myself properly for the morning session and eat properly. It helps my motivation to have a friend who is also going to the session or a lesson scheduled so I feel morally obligated to show up. If I have no one at a morning session who is expecting me, I am sleeping instead! Do you have a skate friend?
I am the same way that if I’m not obligated, I won’t get there at an early time. The only way you see me in the office at 9am or earlier is if there is a meeting we have to be at! We do have some flexibility and work from home two days a week, and thankfully everyone I work with directly is very open and accepting and those I’ve shared about starting skating again either are excited or don’t have much to say besides “oh cool” (etc) . It has just been such a season of having so much work that it’s hard to get away. But I did take a break on Monday and go skate in the afternoon, as we do have flexibility to go to doctors appts or whatever during the workday as long as we get our work done.

Still, finding time is hard and I’m definitely interested in everyone else’s strategies to find time!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am the same way that if I’m not obligated, I won’t get there at an early time. The only way you see me in the office at 9am or earlier is if there is a meeting we have to be at! We do have some flexibility and work from home two days a week, and thankfully everyone I work with directly is very open and accepting and those I’ve shared about starting skating again either are excited or don’t have much to say besides “oh cool” (etc) . It has just been such a season of having so much work that it’s hard to get away. But I did take a break on Monday and go skate in the afternoon, as we do have flexibility to go to doctors appts or whatever during the workday as long as we get our work done.

Still, finding time is hard and I’m definitely interested in everyone else’s strategies to find time!
Self-employment is my current strategy! Although I still have to get up at sparrow's fart in order to get to the rink as it's so far away...

Littlerain

Rinkside
the coach I started working with has a Monday lesson time at 4:45! So perhaps I may get myself to work 7-3 or 8-4 on Mondays or something.

We are also approaching time to sign up for the next group session. Do you all take group class in addition to private lessons (if there was a suitable level)?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
the coach I started working with has a Monday lesson time at 4:45! So perhaps I may get myself to work 7-3 or 8-4 on Mondays or something.

We are also approaching time to sign up for the next group session. Do you all take group class in addition to private lessons (if there was a suitable level)?
Do it! Group classes are a great way to find your skating tribe and if the coach is different from your private one you can benefit from other eyes and ways of teaching.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside

That sounds great!

I take both group classes and private lessons. Our group classes are only in the winter, my private lessons are year round and morph into off ice lessons in the summer.