Miki undergoing a surgical operation | Golden Skate

Miki undergoing a surgical operation

Alberich

Rinkside
Miki Ando told to news reporters today that she undergoes a surgical operation in her shoulder joint in April. She said that she has persistent pain in her sholder and it easily dislocates. She hopes to be back in time for the Grand Prix series.

I hope she gets well soon.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Miki Ando told to news reporters today that she undergoes a surgical operation in her shoulder joint in April. She said that she has persistent pain in her sholder and it easily dislocates. She hopes to be back in time for the Grand Prix series.

Oh. I too hope she gets well soon.

This all seems like past tense.

Did she have the surgery, I presume last April?
and she has since skated the GPs and Japan Nats?

Were the results good?

Joe

Alberich

Rinkside
This all seems like past tense.

Did she have the surgery, I presume last April?
and she has since skated the GPs and Japan Nats?

Were the results good?

Joe

Past tense.... Sorry for my poor English.
Her surgery is scheduled in the coming April after the World Championship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki is smart to have the surgery before the injury gets any worse. She could be ready for the Grand Prix (if she skates in the later events), but the important thing is she will be 100% for Worlds 2009 and the Olympics.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice

Yes, hopefully she can get rid of that shoulder pain and come back stronger than ever. I hope Miki will get well very soon.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
Hope her surgery goes well and she recovers it well.
I also hope she'll have good results for remaining season.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Miki is smart to have the surgery before the injury gets any worse. She could be ready for the Grand Prix (if she skates in the later events), but the important thing is she will be 100% for Worlds 2009 and the Olympics.
1. TV news said Miki's coach (must be referring to Morozov) disclosed her plan to undergo surgery.

2. Web news in Japanese
http://www.sanspo.com/sokuho/080111/sokuho084.html
Summary: Miki explained her plan to have surgery in around next April, on her shoulder which has long been injured. ..She dislocated it (plural times and again) in Nats'06 and hurt it also in the International Counter Match last October. ..She always has it taped on ice to avoid further dislocating, but she can't avoid it occasionally happening when she is asleep, so the condition is now not good. ..Expected to have 3 or 4 bolts implanted, taking 3 months to recover. ..Ando said she made up her mind now to make the recovery in time for the next GPseries. (ETA. It needs several months of reservation for the surgery so that's why she had to make up her mind now, I think.) ..She also said "I'd like to do my Beillman again by the time of next Olympics 2010."

3. Another web news in Japanese
http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/general/news/20080112k0000m050130000c.html
"It always hurts.." "I plan to jump quad in 4CC, successful or not."

4. AFAIK, on July 26th '04, she cut her shoulder deeply with her skate edge when she was praticing quad, had 6 stitches, had it taped just like now in the '04 season (NHK for ex.).
She dislocated the same shoulder on Aug 27 '05 while practicing spin. (Her arm slipped away from the free leg while spinning very fast.)

5. She said in her own words that she hurt her shoulder (badly) while she was fixing her lip. (She had said in another interview that Nicolai tells her to jump the flip from the inside edge.) ..A TV program here showed Shizuka visiting Hackensack last July, being surprised to find Miki making so many falls in practice, at last realizing what Miki is up to and exclaiming "Are you trying to fix your lip ?!?"...and Miki nodding to her.

Last edited:
Past tense.... Sorry for my poor English.
Her surgery is scheduled in the coming April after the World Championship.
Ahhh. Thank you Alberich. Now I wish her all the best and a speedy recovery. Will she continue skating if it's a success?

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
will she manage to come to Worlds in shape? doesn't this pain affects her everyday practice?

yes, I am sure that it affects her skating. She does not use the beilman poaition anymore due to the shoulder pain...and also i am sure the jumps cannot help but be effected. poor miki, i hope that she makes a good recovery and has a good skate at worlds. :love:

skatergirl45

On the Ice
If I were her I would be very scared to be practicing triple jumps with a shoulder that could be dislocated at any minute........... YIKES!:)

Bennett

Record Breaker
If I were her I would be very scared to be practicing triple jumps with a shoulder that could be dislocated at any minute........... YIKES!:)

Me too. But she seems to go on until Worlds is over. I wonder if a doctor wouldn't stop her.

Tigger

Final Flight
I knew she was having shoulder problems, but nothing like this. Dislocating it when sleeping...Poor thing.

I wish her a very successful surgery and very speedy recovery.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think, she'll step aside and give it all to Mao who deserves it more.

If Mao has to have it given to her, then she doesn't deserve it. We need to start talking about figure skating as if it were a sport. I sometimes have doubts when I read thiese boards. Mao is perfectly capable of becoming a champion by beating the best in the world. She doesn't need anyone to step aside for her.

My best to Miki. I hope things go well and she comes back stronger than ever.