Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
So, the most complete translation of the first part of the interview. Sorry for inadvertently repeating what has already been posted elsewhere. In any case, this text is more complete.

introductory part:

She created her own universe in the world of sports, changed figure skating. Mysterious, imperturbable, strict - she rarely talks to the press and does not give interviews. She is called "The Snow Queen with an Ice Heart", but is that true? Pain, success and hopes of Eteri Tutberidze in our exclusive interview today. This is the first channel, good evening, I'm Dmitry Borisov, on the air "Let the talk."

(show the moments of awarding)

Pride, tears of happiness and the understanding that we are the best on the planet - all this is given to us year after year by Russian figure skaters. They have been taking first places at all international competitions without exception for many years. And behind their resounding successes is the unyielding Eteri Tutberidze.

(show training)

Eteri: ta-ta-ta-ta, one, two, three, we are not sleeping! One, two!

She is considered cold as ice, she is used to keeping strangers at a distance, she carefully protects her world, which she has long and painfully created.

(show video from the last Russian championship)

Eteri: Such a word that unites everything that happened is “overcoming”. For me it was overcoming both physical and moral condition ...

She had a difficult childhood, she almost became a victim of a terrorist attack in Oklahoma, suffered hardships, lived in a homeless shelter, lost loved ones and does not like to talk about her past. She has many losses and disappointments.

Yulia Lipnitskaya was only 10 years old when she and her mother got into the car and left Yekaterinburg for Moscow. Mom and Julia agreed: if Eteri refuses to train Julia, then figure skating will be over forever. But Eteri agreed, and in Sochi in 2014, 15-year-old Yulia Lipnitskaya became the main opening of the main Olympics. She was called a little girl in a red coat.

Since then, the list of star figure skaters Eteri Tutberidze has only been lengthening every year, but Eteri does not like to talk about her merits. She tries not to remember the betrayal of friends and does not respond to the attacks of envious people. A woman whom the whole world knows and admires - what is she, real? Why does she trust only a very limited circle of people, what she dreams of, what she hides and who owns the heart of Eteri Tutberidze - this is discussed today in Let They Talk.

Initially, we were preparing this program for the final series of the Grand Prix in Japan, but, as you know, the competition was canceled, and we had a chance to talk with Eteri Tutberidze again and again. These days the Russian figure skating championship. From Thursday to Sunday on the First Channel live broadcasts from St. Petersburg, do not miss it. It is all the more interesting to be in the holy of holies the day before - at the Khrustalny skating rink, in Sambo-70, where our champions are brought up. The conversation turned out to be extremely interesting and frank.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Well i doubt anyone is surprised that eteri in her interview again placed the blame for students eating habits, injury and not lasting past 18 either on said skater or there familys , really sorry to say but seperating an underaged child from her mother and saying it was an agreement and the basically saying and look what happened after her mother moved to the same city is such a red flag in my Opinion. Saying that the injury from another student came because she let go of her weight controll? When we knwo that that isnt even true, since said student was as thin as always and openly admitted that she was weighwise at her lowest in said season? Where in this is she actually acting like a responsible adult trainer? Where did she help these students ? Instead she talks about another student and taking away food from her? Like its completely ok?. . Yes the situation with sasha and the dog was funny and cute but really she shoud know better than again talk in that way about past students . You can like eteri all you want but she just keeps putting the blame on the skaters instead of also as their trainer taking a huge part of this blame , she is responsible for the children in her care, exspecially if he parents arent even living in the same city as their child and have to place their complete trust into her . th fact that she even dared to talk like this about alinas mother? I was shocked because literally Alina has never said a bad word about her and eteri does this? She might just make alina angry with that. Because if i was alina and my extrainer said this about the fact that my mother is at fault for my career ending far too soon? Instead of looking at the fact that the trainers method is not made for girls past the age of 18 up to thenpresent at least. (Mabye it will change with anna or sasha but at this point she doesnt have a female skater that is older then 18) . I would be more than angry .how can she talk about it like everything she just said is totally normal and great?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eteri Tutberidze gave an hour long interview to Russian television

This appears to be a transcript of the interview:

This site has translated snippets into English:

If any of our posters know of a good English translation, or if any of the above links are not relevant, please let us know. :pray:

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Does anyone have a link to the latest Eteri interview, and I apologize if it has been posted a million times, but I can’t seem to find it. I want to read the whole thing before I make a judgement or comment.
You should wait until second (and third?) part of the interview will be published. Channel One cut the interview in parts and shamelessly intends to milk it the whole week - monetizing with million ads etc. Only first part of talkshow was shown now.
if the age lets say would be raised to 18 then
only two skaters would be in woman discipline at RusNat and more than half of countries wouldn't be able to participate in last Euro. Which only shows the whole ridiculousness of this decision - which so many fans of figure skating dreams about. Are they even fans if they want to watch empty competitions, I wonder?
One of Eteri's students could get completely paralysed because of her and people would still defend her. What do they care? They have their popcorn ready at every competition for that temporary dopamine. I've only watched since late 2018, but no wonder this sport is so unpopular.
You described the exact reason why people are watching sport. They are watching it exactly for "temporary dopamine" and it's popular exactly because of it. You can even say to give that dopamine is the only reason sport exists in the first place. It's competitive sport's main purpose.
People like longevity, not horror stories with skaters separated from parents and denied eating their meal and retiring at freaking 17. It makes me not even want to watch anymore, especially ladies. Injuries and thoughness is normal, but there's a difference between that and abuse. SMH!
Nah, people like "temporary dopamine" and they don't care that much what particular name gives it to them - or even know and remember those names - especially Olympic spectators crowd. How many injuries Olympic athlete suffered to be there - is the last thing they want to know. They want fun. And that's substantial part of audience sponsors are interested in. All that longevity-liking narration contradicts reality - low fs popularity in USA with many-years champion Nathan Chen and huge fs popularity in Russia with its "used cups" starlets. I bet if situation was reversed (in USA was boom of young wonderkids etc.) - we wouldn't hear even speck of that narration there.
I can suggest the opposite opinion which, I believe, has no less credibility. People like young stars. Young stars appeal is greatly underrated.
Once the practices start, we will all forget about this for a few weeks. Haha
Btw they say Eteri skaters missed their first practice - despite them being in St. Peterburg already. The practice was just before the draw ceremony in which all skaters participated. It's little strange.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i doubt anyone is surprised that eteri in her interview again placed the blame for students eating habits, injury and not lasting past 18 either on said skater or there familys , really sorry to say but seperating an underaged child from her mother and saying it was an agreement and the basically saying and look what happened after her mother moved to the same city is such a red flag in my Opinion. Saying that the injury from another student came because she let go of her weight controll? When we knwo that that isnt even true, since said student was as thin as always and openly admitted that she was weighwise at her lowest in said season? Where in this is she actually acting like a responsible adult trainer? Where did she help these students ? Instead she talks about another student and taking away food from her? Like its completely ok?. . Yes the situation with sasha and the dog was funny and cute but really she shoud know better than again talk in that way about past students . You can like eteri all you want but she just keeps putting the blame on the skaters instead of also as their trainer taking a huge part of this blame , she is responsible for the children in her care, exspecially if he parents arent even living in the same city as their child and have to place their complete trust into her . th fact that she even dared to talk like this about alinas mother? I was shocked because literally Alina has never said a bad word about her and eteri does this? She might just make alina angry with that. Because if i was alina and my extrainer said this about the fact that my mother is at fault for my career ending far too soon? Instead of looking at the fact that the trainers method is not made for girls past the age of 18 up to thenpresent at least. (Mabye it will change with anna or sasha but at this point she doesnt have a female skater that is older then 18) . I would be more than angry .how can she talk about it like everything she just said is totally normal and great?
I rather focus on the dog story too. Haha

When the last 3 big female defectors all came back, it tells me that she is doing something right. All 3 knew that at the end of the day, Eteri gave them a better chance of winning. They didn’t return out of charity. The skaters are looking to get as much from their talents as they can get. They don’t go to Eteri because they feel sorry for her.

It’s hard for me to take the “she is evil” bandwagon seriously when those that hated her enough to leave all returned.

So you either accept how she does things or go somewhere else to be coached. Nobody is forcing anyone to be there. People are beating down a path to Sambo 70, not the other way around.

There are those that have the temperament to be Eteri skaters and those that don’t. It’s not a slight on Eteri or the skaters. People are different and need to be coached differently.

You have player’s coaches and coaches that rule with an iron fist.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany

When the last 3 big female defectors all came back, it tells me that she is doing something right. All 3 knew that at the end of the day, Eteri gave them a better chance of winning. They didn’t return out of charity. The skaters are looking to get as much from their talents as they can get. They don’t go to Eteri because they feel sorry for her.

It’s hard for me to take the “she is evil” bandwagon seriously when those that hated her enough to leave all returned.

So you either accept how she does things or go somewhere else to be coached. Nobody is forcing anyone to be there. People are beating down a path to Sambo 70, not the other way around.

There are those that have the temperament to be Eteri skaters and those that don’t. It’s not a slight on Eteri or the skaters. People are different and need to be coached differently.

It still does not give her the right to literally always blame the skater or in alinas case basically her mother. Its like she cant admit or doesnt want to admit that she is also at fault znthat the blame lies also with her. That she is also responsible for the health be it physical or mentally of her students. And that she talks about things like taking away food like she is talking about the weather? And you seriously dont fidn anything wrong with that??

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It still does not give her the right to literally always blame the skater or in alinas case basically her mother. Its like she cant admit or doesnt want to admit that she is also at fault znthat the blame lies also with her. That she is also responsible for the health be it physical or mentally of her students. And that she talks about things like taking away food like she is talking about the weather? And you seriously dont fidn anything wrong with that??
Well, don’t you find anything wrong with the skater that alleges that and still goes back to her?

That would mean the skaters themselves don’t care about their well being first and foremost, doesn’t it? To WILLINGLY go back on their word and willingly go back to a place where they claim mistreatment means that the boy who cried wolf is at play here.

That’s the thing that is lost in this anti Eteri propaganda. When the skaters see they are being replaced, they leave. Then when they see there is no improvement with another coach, they return. They find out quickly that the grass ain’t always greener on the other side.

Ask Kamila or Anna what they think of Eteri’s coaching. Why hasn’t anyone that was at the time the Eteri number one left?

We have a difference of philosophy. A coach is there to teach you how to do the sport. Not be your friend. If you don’t think the coach is giving you proper coaching, you can leave and go somewhere else. The fans seem to be more invested than the skaters.

Skaters have countless coaches to go to. So why do the best ones usually choose Eteri?

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States

It’s one thing to coach the way Eteri does, which is clearly working. But it’s another to consistently blame your students for repetitive issues inside the camp. I can’t blame Eteri for Zhenya getting COVID, but she did get injured enough to end her competitive career once she returned even though she’d been apparently making some progress healing her back issue.

Elizabet had a genetic thing but same deal— one hard season with eteri after Orser and that was all she could manage.

If she gets an adult skater like Aliona next year without major incident, then we can reassess. But right now she doesn’t. And considering all of her students have left her with major injuries or EDs when many people retire from other camps without such major health problems… she shouldn’t be making such claims about it being her student’s fault alone.

She has the young game figured out but she’s not going to get legacy stars like Zhenya in this competitive field if she doesn’t learn how to adopt her coaching practices to correct the needs the older students clearly need to keep going. Mishin has figured it out. Now it’s Eteri’s turn.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s one thing to coach the way Eteri does, which is clearly working. But it’s another to consistently blame your students for repetitive issues inside the camp. I can’t blame Eteri for Zhenya getting COVID, but she did get injured enough to end her competitive career once she returned even though she’d been apparently making some progress healing her back issue.

Elizabet had a genetic thing but same deal— one hard season with eteri after Orser and that was all she could manage.

If she gets an adult skater like Aliona next year without major incident, then we can reassess. But right now she doesn’t. And considering all of her students have left her with major injuries or EDs when many people retire from other camps without such major health problems… she shouldn’t be making such claims about it being her student’s fault alone.

She has the young game figured out but she’s not going to get legacy stars like Zhenya in this competitive field if she doesn’t learn how to adopt her coaching practices to correct the needs the older students clearly need to keep going. Mishin has figured it out. Now it’s Eteri’s turn.
Eteri is about winning now. She doesn’t care about longevity because she has 5 skaters to replace any one skater.

Like it or not, that’s her philosophy. And she will replace you if she can find better. It’s harsh, but top level sports operate like that.

Again. Eteri is who she is. She isn’t perfect.

You know what you are getting when you go to Eteri. It’s your choice to go there or not. She will use the media against you when she sees fit. All this is common knowledge.

And when you leave and return, you lose the right to complain I would argue.

And most every top skater all over the world has gotten hurt. Injuries are part of this sport.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Eteri is about winning now. She doesn’t care about longevity because she has 5 skaters to replace any one skater.

Like it or not, that’s her philosophy. And she will replace you if she can find better. It’s harsh, but top level sports operate like that.

Again. Eteri is who she is. She isn’t perfect.

You know what you are getting when you go to Eteri. It’s your choice to go there or not. She will use the media against you when she sees fit. All this is common knowledge.

And when you leave and return, you lose the right to complain I would argue.

And most every top skater all over the world has gotten hurt. Injuries are part of this sport.
Everyone knows she’s winning. No one cares that she can replace her girls. No one even asks if that’s ethical. Because of course whoever is the best wins.

What is at question is whether it’s acceptable to persistently place blame for all manner of issues inside the camp on everyone except herself.

All the glory be to Eteri when her girls put in immeasurable work but no fault to her at all if there is an issue.

Win or lose that mentality is an issue.

Draculus

On the Ice
I personally not.
Elite sport is hard work that requires a lot of discipline, willpower and sacrifices. And not many teens (and adults btw too) can do it, and almost no one on their own alone. Typical 'mother's girl' behavior, supported by family is direct opposite of it.
When Alina lived almost alone (only with her grandmother) - basically, there was only training in her life. And after the Olympics and with her mother moved in looks like situation had changed. So it looks quite logical that it become much harder for Alina to force herself if mother supported that. And this is what Eteri is talking about.
Alina became less motivated, her mother probably also supported her in 'more relaxed' attitude. So finally Alina decided that she no longer wants to train in the same way as before (and it wasn't instantaneously). I see nothing wrong neither in this situation nor in Eteri explaining it. I do not see blaming here and for me it is very plausible that such mother attitude can lead to carrier end.
Actually nothing terrible with ending carrier for that reason.

With food - it depends on details a lot. In some cases I see nothing wrong when coach control what food sportsmans (-womans in this case) eat.
But I repeat. it can be either as not acceptable for me or completely fine, details matter a lot here.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone knows she’s winning. No one cares that she can replace her girls. No one even asks if that’s ethical. Because of course whoever is the best wins.

What is at question is whether it’s acceptable to persistently place blame for all manner of issues inside the camp on everyone except herself.

All the glory be to Eteri when her girls put in immeasurable work but no fault to her at all if there is an issue.

Win or lose that mentality is an issue.
You just described a coach with a big ego. And a coach who doesn’t take any blame.

She isn’t the first or last sports coach to fit that description.

And you need a huge ego to succeed at that level.

That’s why she is polarizing.

I don’t care about any of the above since I love the Eteri product. I am upfront about it.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
For some people obviously, as it was with the people surrounding Gracie Gold for example. On another end of the line, I don't see a problem with Zhenya's skating career and future life at all, and i surely remember it is not Eteri who told her after her silver at the Olympics it was a win or lose situation. So this narrative about Eteri which is going on and on only insults my brain cells. Well, it speaks more about you than about her, that's i can tell you for sure. Who is the best in one competition in one point of time no matter what is the name behind it should win. That's the definition of a sport competition. The other things are just nonsense.
I cite Zhenya’s COMPETITIVE career as an example, there is no need to get personal. I know nothing about you but I’m not going to snarkily insult you because you disliked a coach I like.

Like I said— come back when Eteri has a girl who is actually an adult. Then we can talk. Until then she should keep her mouth shut about why it’s solely the students to blame that she’s never had one stick it out with her into adulthood.

Being best in the world doesn’t mean you should be shaming your minor students. Alina said she always had motivation issues, even before she lived with her mother, for example. And she won everything, if she was in immense pain surely it wouldn’t take a mother’s presence alone to prevent wanting to come to training ready to work as hard as she could. Almost all of her skaters now have their parents very involved— Sasha for example. There is no need to shame a minor for wanting their mother present. It’s not like Alina’s mom showed up to the rink everyday like with the Zhilina sisters.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Does anyone have a link to the latest Eteri interview, and I apologize if it has been posted a million times, but I can’t seem to find it. I want to read the whole thing before I make a judgement or comment.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I cite Zhenya’s COMPETITIVE career as an example, there is no need to get personal. I know nothing about you but I’m not going to snarkily insult you because you disliked a coach I like.

Like I said— come back when Eteri has a girl who is actually an adult. Then we can talk. Until then she should keep her mouth shut about why it’s solely the students to blame that she’s never had one stick it out with her into adulthood.

Being best in the world doesn’t mean you should be shaming your minor students. Alina said she always had motivation issues, even before she lived with her mother, for example. And she won everything, if she was in immense pain surely it wouldn’t take a mother’s presence alone to prevent wanting to come to training ready to work as hard as she could. Almost all of her skaters now have their parents very involved— Sasha for example. There is no need to shame a minor for wanting their mother present. It’s not like Alina’s mom showed up to the rink everyday like with the Zhilina sisters.
Well, if you want from me to deconstruct the point, it is the parents (whishes) who are blamed, not the minor skaters/students. And if you read psychology sometimes, you will see why that is the case. So what we have here is actually some random people blaming not so random coach.

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
the whole whining post

Well, who could doubt that those who want to see only the bad see only the bad. Aren't you tired of these constant reproaches of Eteri that "blame for student"? ("blame"? blames for what? Is Eteri on some kind of invisible trial? Eteri is doing great I assure you)

Eteri calmly told interesting details of "past battles". Maybe you didn't know but It was talk show with the format of a heart-to-heart conversation. And in the story with Alina, I would focus on Eteri's words about Alina's grandmother, that it was Alina's grandmother who led Alina to medal. Have you forgotten about it? Did you miss it? Considered unimportant? As for me it was the main part of this story told by Eteri. ET prefaced this story with a description of the context - that Laysan is a soft mom and that in her presence Alina relaxes, turns into a "mom's daughter". And after Eteri expelled Alina, her grandmother came to Eteri and said that she would be the person who would help Eteri lead Alina. "And she spent 12 hours with her at the rink. It was thanks to her grandmother that Alina became a champion"

But apparently it's of little interest to you, you need to tell 100500 times that "Eteri blame for student". Well, what can I say - who wants to see only the bad will see only the bad.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
One of Eteri's students could get completely paralysed because of her and people would still defend her. What do they care? They have their popcorn ready at every competition for that temporary dopamine. I've only watched since late 2018, but no wonder this sport is so unpopular. People like longevity, not horror stories with skaters separated from parents and denied eating their meal and retiring at freaking 17. It makes me not even want to watch anymore, especially ladies. Injuries and thoughness is normal, but there's a difference between that and abuse. SMH!

Draculus

On the Ice
'Adult' means what? Alyona is 18y old
There is no need to shame a minor for wanting their mother present. It’s not like Alina’s mom showed up to the rink everyday like with the Zhilina sisters.
Where did you see shaming?
For me actually this outrage is shaming Alina as if being 'mother's girl' is a shame. What's wrong with 'mother's girl' can somebody explain?
Does it have some additional weird connotation in English?

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
This is not a text interview. This is a talk show (for the sake of Eteri, it was held in the format of an interview and not in a television studio with clapping dummies, but in the "Crystal"). Here is a link to the video, but it is in Russian.

There is a normal, human, natural conversation. Eteri speaks sincerely and with an open heart for which she is loved by many. If you are negative towards Eteri - yes, there will be a lot of food for your attitude there. Eteri is a perfectionist and perceives herself as a guide to her students through weaknesses and temptations. Therefore, notable moments for her are when there were mistakes, problems, and overcoming along the way. That after the team competition, Yulia could not overcome the attention of journalists that poured over her like a waterfall and therefore she lost in the individual competition at the OG-14. That the type of Alina's mom is the opposite of the type of "skating mom".

I focus on respectful words to Yulia's mother, that it was she who led her daughter to the medal, that "she gave her whole life to this goal" or about the words about Alina's grandmother, that she became for Alina "skating mom" and thanks to her, Alina became a champion.

Everyone sees what they want to see :) But the attitude to figure skaters as rock stars and to their coaches as their managers is alien to me. "How dare this service staff talk like that about our idol!" :laugh: Many have this attitude. I see a teacher who talks about the difficulties of her profession and the many temptations that lie in wait for students, why only a few reach the top.

Last edited:

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
One of Eteri's students could get completely paralysed because of her and people would still defend her. What do they care? They have their popcorn ready at every competition for that temporary dopamine. I've only watched since late 2018, but no wonder this sport is so unpopular. People like longevity, not horror stories with skaters separated from parents and denied eating their meal and retiring at freaking 17. It makes me not even want to watch anymore, especially ladies. Injuries and thoughness is normal, but there's a difference between that and abuse. SMH!
Even if it’s not abusive just the sheer unwillingness of people to admit any faults of their favorites is so dumb. Like the TT choreographer blaming Daria for her injury. Or any other number of issues. It’s seen as a crime to speak good and bad of someone so much so that to speak any bad is equivalent of speaking only bad. Except when the coaches speak poorly of someone in which case “no one ever understands nuance”. It’s exhausting.