Emily | Golden Skate

Emily

flying camel

Medalist
Has anyone heard anything about Emily? Is she recovered from her Injury? What are her plans for next season? How is she doing at school?

I actually miss seeing her skate. I wonder if she will be back next season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Emily Hughes is currently scheduled to perform in the Skating Club of Boston's annual "Ice Chips" show April 5-6, as well as in a benefit show called "Skate for Life!" on April 12th in Newington, Connecticut -- see the 2 event threads posted in the Announcements forum: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I actually miss seeing her skate. I wonder if she will be back next season.

I too miss her, even though I was never the biggest fan of her skating. I think if she had done nationals, she would have placed higher than kimmie, probably knocking kimmie off the world team. that would have deffinelty changed kimmie's decisions and how we are looking at worlds right now. I hope that she is fully recovered by now, (or soon will be) and will come back and skate next season.

question... will she have to do regionals, sectionals next fall to get to nationals and will she be given any GP assignments in light of the fact that racheal, marai and caroline will all be seniors along with ashley, katrina, alissa and kimmie?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
question... will she have to do regionals, sectionals next fall to get to nationals and will she be given any GP assignments in light of the fact that racheal, marai and caroline will all be seniors along with ashley, katrina, alissa and kimmie?
First and foremost, it all will depend on whether or not Emily chooses to compete in 2008-09.

To date, Grand Prix assignments have been allotted depending on skaters' top 24 ISU Season best scores/World ranking, and Emily's 2007 Skate Canada score currently ranks her 13th (behind Caroline Zhang's 6th, Rachael Flatt's 8th, Kimmie Meissner's 11th, and Mirai Nagasu's 12th, and ahead of Ashley Wagner's 15th, Katrina Hacker's 19th, Alissa Czisny's 28th, and Bebe Liang's 29th). If Hughes' Season best score and/or ISU World ranking (right now she is 14th) stays in the top 24, she should be guaranteed at least one Grand Prix event as long as she decides to compete next season (and the ISU Grand Prix selection rules stay the same). Of course, Meissner, Wagner, Liang, and the other ladies competing at Worlds this coming week all have a chance to improve on their Season best scores and World rankings, so we'll have to see where Hughes is on these lists after Worlds.

The top 5 finishers in senior at 2008 Nationals are given automatic byes to 2009 Nationals, but if a skater has an international assignment that is scheduled within a certain period before or after Regionals and/or Sectionals, then they would qualify for a bye to the next round.

Last edited:

Penny

On the Ice
I found it curious that during all the yap, yap, yapping of the commentators at US Nationals, there was no mention of Emily or why she was absent. Did I miss it?

goldenskates

Rinkside
I didn't hear them talk about her also. Maybe because the competition was so good they forgot about her. But it was too bad she couldn't be there. Her short and long programs I liked a lot, but the dress for her long program wasn't at all flattering. When I heard that she was doing Carmina Burana for her long program I thought that her costume would be more of a dress, that was long and flowy with like long pieces of fabric, like long and willowy.

I hope that she keeps that music for next season and that she could fix her jumps and come back next season, but I'm not sure if she can.:no:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I found it curious that during all the yap, yap, yapping of the commentators at US Nationals, there was no mention of Emily or why she was absent. Did I miss it?

i know! It was mentioned once... just one sentence, but nothing that i felt the reigning silver medalist deserved. I have a feeling the coverage on Evan's withdrawal from worlds will be 100 times what emily got.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Either consciously or subconsciously, I suggest most have simply 'counted her out for good.' She will continue to go to school and will not try to compete at an elite competitive level again as the presumption is she couldn't win against the young up and comers.......so why bother? Best to focus on school which seems at this point a better investment of time and money in terms of long-term success/reward.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
Also, Emily's website is not really current. In "Articles/News," while there is mention of Emily being on the Rachael Ray Show, nothing is mentioned about her injury and withdrawal from Nats. The previous entry is dated 1/1/08 and is about U.S. Nationals.

http://emilyhughes.com/

dizzydi7

On the Ice
I always enjoy watching Emily skate because she skates with such joy and energy. However, one of the reasons she was not mentioned at Nationals, I believe, is because of the number of talented ladies we have in the U.S. Also, in my opinion, both Ashley and Rachel skate with joy and energy much like Emily.

The U.S. doesn't have as many talented men. So of course Evan will be mentioned at Worlds. Also there is the made-up or real conflict between Evan and Johnny. Nothing like a little controversy to get the press going. So far, the ladies get along just a little too well.

Dizzy

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I've been in Europe so it feels like I havn't posted in FOREVER!

Anyways,
I miss Emily.
I hope she comes back next season. It will be hard for her with all of the young ones. I wish her luck.

2bcharlotte

Spectator
I like watching Emily too, why? You can tell when you look at her face that she loves to skate. That she is right where she wants to be. She is not the most gracefull, or the most fluid, but man what I wouldn't give to see that smile on every skater in a rink at any given time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily did only a 2A and a 2F in her number. She talked about doing new programs for next season, but not a word about whether she will compete in the GP or at Nationals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
if she is indeed planning "new programs", at least there is a good chance she will at least continue to skate in shows, etc. it doesn't necessarily have to be a competitive number. That's good news because I think she knows how to entertain an audience with a catchy show piece.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
realistically, does she have a chance to make a World team again with the depth in ladies in the US?

R.D.

Record Breaker
realistically, does she have a chance to make a World team again with the depth in ladies in the US?

Nope. It was very slim even if there were three spots, but with just 2, forget it. I'd say even Meissner has a better chance than she does.