Medal Woes, Controversy arises | Golden Skate

Medal Woes, Controversy arises

carolinefan177

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZE4-nUJh0

Now, I don't speak Korean, but I think it's pretty clear that the media felt that Yu-Na was cheated. I don't understand why people would feel the need to try and look for a scandal when it seems like it would only detract from the tremendous accomplishments of these skaters. Ok, Mao fell; we get it, but she managed to produce an otherwise solid routine. She got dinged for the flutz, a level one for her shaky spiral, and received an < for her cheated 3R. I realize that she SHOULD not have gotten a +1 GOE for the flutz, but these things happen. Caroline, at nationals, should not have gotten her 3Lz downgraded but, because of a keying error,she did. Consequently, it's not like Mao's +1 would have kept her away from a gold medal.

Also, it's not fair to criticize Mao for getting such high PCS. She fell, but she got up and finished the program with such class; many skaters would not be able to do that, and like the commentators on Eurosport said, "It's as if the fall never happened." Besides that, Yu-Na, at the GPF, fell and received higher program component marks than Mao, so I guess the point is, it just depends on the subjectivity of the judges. Plus, Mao and Yu-Na, usually, receive around 58-60 points in their PCS scores, so it's not like this was way out of bounds.

Finally, I think the skaters that I feel the most sorry for are Carolina and Yukari. For the most part, Carolina, on this video and on this forum, is being scrutinized for her silver medal. It seems like she's going to get the reputation for being gifted the silver rather than being the skater that earned it, and regardless of whether that is true or not, it's still unfortunate. I, personally, am proud of her and felt that she really fought for everything yesterday night. I also feel terrible for Yukari. She had a solid performance, but it still wasn't, in the judges eyes, good enough for a medal (kind of like Fumie at the Olympics). I know this will only maker her stronger, and next season, she will come back fighting!

kikakiks

On the Ice

Now, I don't speak Korean, but I think it's pretty clear that the media felt that Yu-Na was cheated. I don't understand why people would feel the need to try and look for a scandal when it seems like it would only detract from the tremendous accomplishments of these skaters. Ok, Mao fell; we get it, but she managed to produce an otherwise solid routine. She got dinged for the flutz, a level one for her shaky spiral, and received an < for her cheated 3R. I realize that she SHOULD not have gotten a +1 GOE for the flutz, but these things happen. Caroline, at nationals, should not have gotten her 3Lz downgraded but, because of a keying error,she did. Consequently, it's not like Mao's +1 would have kept her away from a gold medal.

Also, it's not fair to criticize Mao for getting such high PCS. She fell, but she got up and finished the program with such class; many skaters would not be able to do that, and like the commentators on Eurosport said, "It's as if the fall never happened." Besides that, Yu-Na, at the GPF, fell and received higher program component marks than Mao, so I guess the point is, it just depends on the subjectivity of the judges. Plus, Mao and Yu-Na, usually, receive around 58-60 points in their PCS scores, so it's not like this was way out of bounds.

Finally, I think the skaters that I feel the most sorry for are Carolina and Yukari. For the most part, Carolina, on this video and on this forum, is being scrutinized for her silver medal. It seems like she's going to get the reputation for being gifted the silver rather than being the skater that earned it, and regardless of whether that is true or not, it's still unfortunate. I, personally, am proud of her and felt that she really fought for everything yesterday night. I also feel terrible for Yukari. She had a solid performance, but it still wasn't, in the judges eyes, good enough for a medal (kind of like Fumie at the Olympics). I know this will only maker her stronger, and next season, she will come back fighting!

Finally someone speaks wise words!

It's just that everyone has their favorites and they can't get over the fact that it was all fair. There some points to discuss, but I don't see any scandal (in bad or good)

I just don't get sometimes Yu-Na enthusiast go over the top. It's neither Mao's nor Kostner's fault if she's not on the podium. She failed her short.

I cannot even imagine what would happen if "queen" Yu-Na would have been kicked out of the podium by Yukari. Imagine the tragedy going on at this very moment....

Some last words for Kostner. Why, why do people have started this big hatred for her...even to the point of inventing words said by her? Maybe because suddendly she started appearing a threat? I am sure if Sarah Meier started getting triple-triples and fighting for the podium, people would hate her as well...

jiggs

On the Ice
Some last words for Kostner. Why, why do people have started this big hatred for her...even to the point of inventing words said by her?

I find that really sad too. Carolina is such an amazing athlete, she is a lovely person and a talented skater. I cannot stand the bashing against her and also against other skaters.
Some comments posted recently made me so mad. I have nothing against criticism or personal opinions/preferences, as long as they are not rude or insulting. And that just got a little out of hand here, to be honest.

Every single skater out there deserves respect. Period.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Oh the media. You can't expect the Korean media to be that knowledgeable about figure skating, anyways - remember that we've only had Yu-Na, and people have only been paying attention to her since last year. Personally, I thought that Yu-Na's PCS was low as well and Mao's was about right, but that wouldn't have made a difference in the end anyways.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's just that everyone has their favorites and they can't get over the fact that it was all fair. There some points to discuss, but I don't see any scandal (in bad or good)

I just don't get sometimes Yu-Na enthusiast go over the top. It's neither Mao's nor Kostner's fault if she's not on the podium. She failed her short.

I cannot even imagine what would happen if "queen" Yu-Na would have been kicked out of the podium by Yukari. Imagine the tragedy going on at this very moment....

Some last words for Kostner. Why, why do people have started this big hatred for her...even to the point of inventing words said by her? Maybe because suddendly she started appearing a threat? I am sure if Sarah Meier started getting triple-triples and fighting for the podium, people would hate her as well...

I don't see any scandel either. The placements arn't exactly what I personally would have given, but I understand why they are what they are. Style preferences vary and who can say if one skater has a better style than another. I don't get the hatred towards Kostner either. She didn't give herself the marks, she has no control over where the judges place her. It's not her fault she skated reasonable well and was rewarded for it.
The part I bolded bugs me. Yuna seemed happy with her marks and given as she was skating injered, I don't think she would have complained if she had been off the podium. I don't know the sentence makes it seem like you're blaming Yuna for what her fans are saying. Many skaters have over zelous fans that go over board, her's are just the most vocal this time, but Mao's can get pretty bad at times. Sorry if I compleatly missinterpretived that comment.

kikakiks

On the Ice
I don't see any scandel either. The placements arn't exactly what I personally would have given, but I understand why they are what they are. Style preferences vary and who can say if one skater has a better style than another. I don't get the hatred towards Kostner either. She didn't give herself the marks, she has no control over where the judges place her. It's not her fault she skated reasonable well and was rewarded for it.
The part I bolded bugs me. Yuna seemed happy with her marks and given as she was skating injered, I don't think she would have complained if she had been off the podium. I don't know the sentence makes it seem like you're blaming Yuna for what her fans are saying. Many skaters have over zelous fans that go over board, her's are just the most vocal this time, but Mao's can get pretty bad at times. Sorry if I compleatly missinterpretived that comment.

NO, I didn't mean to accuse Yu-Na! Poor girl she doesn't have any control on media. I am referring to the media/tv. I meant: they are picking up the scandal theory...so what would have happened if their "queen" had even got out of the poidum?
I can't imagine what would have happened...even on this board.

And by any means, i repeat, it's not it's her piloting fans and tv...

gourry

Final Flight
Well, to be honest, I'm actually glad that I'm not the only one:biggrin:
I couldn't agree on some things like Yuna getting level 1 for her SP spiral(which looked ok on edge and was held more than 3 sec) or level 2 SP spins, or her SP 3-3 getting less GOE than Caro's SP 3-3 or her beautiful LP deserved a bit more PCS or other small things here and there.

I just can't get rid of the feeling that different set of standard was used for Yuna. It's 'some of her elements would have got better levels or GOEs if they had been done by other skaters' kind of feeling. I know her performance was not great performance by her standard as the Brit commentator said, but hey, she's competing with other skaters, not with herself!

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I didn't write that article or news clip.:p

dlarry1

Rinkside
What I find disturbing is that apparently many people are OK with these "keying errors," if that is indeed what happened. Is that really acceptable, especially at the World Championships?

turtle

On the Ice
NO, I didn't mean to accuse Yu-Na! Poor girl she doesn't have any control on media. I am referring to the media/tv. I meant: they are picking up the scandal theory...so what would have happened if their "queen" had even got out of the poidum?

In every interview I've seen given by Yuna to the Korean media, she has been nothing but gracious. After the medal ceremony, she said that she was very happy with the results this season and that she and her fans should accept her standing after the LP because she wasn't at her best at this competition. She was just happy that she medalled despite her injury (apparently she still has pain) and the lack of training. I think that she is aware of all the bashings going on Youtube and once said that people shouldn't call some skaters cheaters because these are hard-working athletes just trying to do their best and it is not easy to fix something you have been doing all the time since young.

Let's not take this too seriously. How often do we see the media reporting this sort of news completely unbiased?

Medusa

Record Breaker
In every interview I've seen given by Yuna to the Korean media, she has been nothing but gracious. After the medal ceremony, she said that she was very happy with the results this season and that she and her fans should accept her standing after the LP because she wasn't at her best at this competition. She was just happy that she medalled despite her injury (apparently she still has pain) and the lack of training. I think that she is aware of all the bashings going on Youtube and once said that people shouldn't call some skaters cheaters because these are hard-working athletes just trying to do their best and it is not easy to fix something you have been doing all the time since young.

Let's not take this too seriously. How often do we see the media reporting this sort of news completely unbiased?

I am happy that she is such a fair competitor. And I really think that Mao had overall the better performance if you take sp and lp into account, Yu-Na was slow towards the end of her LP and looked tired - Mao kept going with full speed. I even understand the lower PCS for Yu-Na. I didn't like the last two minutes.

Yu-Na's time will come, but her team should try to find a solution for her health problems - if they don't it's possible that there will never be a real showdown between Mao and Yu-Na because Mao seems to be on the healthy and robust side (*knockwood*).

Skye

On the Ice
It's just a typical local media propping up their own athlete. Heck, the Italian media could argue that Mao should not have such high PCS with her splat and therefore Carolina should have won the competition, and why not? I think I've seen more than a few articles questioning B&A's 5th place in the CD in spite of their fall, and all the talk about how S&S had a score too high for their error marred free skate. We've been going on and on about all sorts of conspiracies this entire week, and that news clip is just a sample of what's hot on the boards. As long as the athletes are fine with what they got, what's the big deal? Only NBC would have any powers to change the results of a skating competition. :p

ANW

On the Ice
well said! i completely agree :clap:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The only valid controversy here is the pairs results. S/S scores made no sense at all. but no one seems to care enough about pairs skating anymore :( :(

As for the ladies, thre results may seem unfair to the average viewer but they are fair by the rules. We can blame them on the new system of course (I know I Do) and lets pray these problems get fixed soon but still the standings were fine by the current rules and thats hardly controversial at all.

An on Ice Dance, pleaasse, people are just making excuses to justify Belbin/Agosto failure.