Skaters that you feel would be great in the future and have never reach their full potential | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters that you feel would be great in the future and have never reach their full potential

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, Jeremy was SO GOOD, and if he recreated his Nationals program at the Olympics he would have been Oly champion. Yes, he achieved alot, but he could have been OGM. So frustrating as a fan of his.
Yes, and as a big fan of his you should have known/understood that he was ill at Vancouver. I actually prefer the Abbott that isn't a big Olympic medalist and continues to entertain and push the limits of edgework and choreography.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Eman definitely belongs on this list. So much talent and he had amazing programs and costumes. He's another skater who i thought would eventually become world champion.
My username on here was supposed to be Liam4Eman but I thought it sounded too gay and fangurly, lol. Yes, after that Nationals where he created a stir I thought he would challenge Plushenko and possibly be a World champion someday. I still have trauma thinking about his career because he was THAT GOOD. Then again, I was a huge fan of Bobek too.... I'm masochistic with my fandom.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Yes, and as a big fan of his you should have known/understood that he was ill at Vancouver. I actually prefer the Abbott that isn't a big Olympic medalist and continues to entertain and push the limits of edgework and choreography.
Why the attitude, Rabbit? I was a big fan of his SKATING, how the hell should I have known he was ill there? I wasn't some psycho fan following every detail of his life. And why couldn't Abbott be both "a big Olympic medalist and continue to entertain and push the limits of edgework and choreography"? You make it seem like it's one or the other, which surprises me since you seem to be knowledgable about the skating world. So, chill.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, and as a big fan of his you should have known/understood that he was ill at Vancouver.

Oh lord, if we are going to include skaters who possibly/probably lost out due to injury or illness, even the biggest and best and most highly decorated may end up on the list...

I do like Jeremy Abbott, but I am rather glad I got into the sport after his time, by the sound of things he was hard on the nerves of his fans.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
There are many... but the first name that came to my mind : Josée Chouinard... Fine, she went to the Olympics, placed in top 5 at worlds, won a medal at GPF... and then, had a great pro career... BUT... she had it all and it never came together all at once, at the same competition.

Leaving you with one of the good outings... She won that event ahead of competitors like Chen Lu, Irina Slutskaya and Surya Bonaly.

Another Chouinard fan here. I have a grainy video of her pro comp program "The Sweater" on my pc that I watch when I need a smile.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Another Chouinard fan here. I have a grainy video of her pro comp program "The Sweater" on my pc that I watch when I need a smile.
Maybe you can pass this through a translator.... It says it all... and also talks about Fiona.

The title " It took me time to forgive myself"

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
I always thought Jeremy skated with his head instead of his feet. When he was on he was wonderful - but I was always holding my breath waiting for him to possibly fall. His Exogenis (spelling!) program was my favorite.
He worked on my kid's program last year to Exogenesis, and Jeremy's comment was "This music still gives me nightmares." Very cool dude.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There are so many. Emanual Sandu had it all great jobs, wonderful lines, superior spins and interesting choreography but he could never pull it together. then there was Kevin Reynolds and Mira Leung - all three from the Joanne McLeod school and doomed for disaster I guess but I thought all had potential to go far. Who could forget Tiffany Chin, Stephen Gogolov, Nam Nguyen, Jeremy Abbott, Naomi Nari Nam (spelling?); Angela Nikodinov, Jenny Kirk, Tracey Wainman, Viktoria Volchkova, Kavaguti and Smirnov; Krylova and Oksianikov whose injuries destroyed them or Randy and tai who had disaster strike strike them, Sydne Vogel, Kamilla Valieva (appears she is done); Anna Pogolorya, Kostornaia - I don't think she won a world medal, Josie Chouinard who has an up and come daughter now.

Magill

Record Breaker
There are so many. Emanual Sandu had it all great jobs, wonderful lines, superior spins and interesting choreography but he could never pull it together. then there was Kevin Reynolds and Mira Leung - all three from the Joanne McLeod school and doomed for disaster I guess but I thought all had potential to go far. Who could forget Tiffany Chin, Stephen Gogolov, Nam Nguyen, Jeremy Abbott, Naomi Nari Nam (spelling?); Angela Nikodinov, Jenny Kirk, Tracey Wainman, Viktoria Volchkova, Kavaguti and Smirnov; Krylova and Oksianikov whose injuries destroyed them or Randy and tai who had disaster strike strike them, Sydne Vogel, Kamilla Valieva (appears she is done); Anna Pogolorya, Kostornaia - I don't think she won a world medal, Josie Chouinard who has an up and come daughter now.
Thank you for bringing up Stephen Gogolev. I still hope he'll make it somehow to the top after being so amazing as a kid. Honestly, I think he should go back to Brian Orser, especially now when so many of TCC skaters are suddenly gone or half-gone.
As for Alena Kostornaya - difficult to think of anyone else so talented, so widely admired, who was so close to having it all and yet never even made it to Worlds, no matter medalling there. But she's newly married now and eyeing a different discipline so all the best to her and her husband in both private and skating life! Hope she can still make it and even if not - be happy anyway!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thank you for bringing up Stephen Gogolev. I still hope he'll make it somehow to the top after being so amazing as a kid. Honestly, I think he should go back to Brian Orser, especially now when so many of TCC skaters are suddenly gone or half-gone.
As for Alena Kostornaya - difficult to think of anyone else so talented, so widely admired, who was so close to having it all and yet never even made it to Worlds, no matter medalling there. But she's newly married now and eyeing a different discipline so all the best to her and her husband in both private and skating life! Hope she can still make it and even if not - be happy anyway!
Yep fingers crossed for Gogo I fear he may be a bit like Nam though Nam after winning Juniors did get fifth at seniors but struggled with that height much like Gogo. and ironically much like Roman - is this a Canadian issue?

Orchidea

On the Ice

Amei

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen, while she did have a great career she struggled to be clean and could have had more victories than she did if she skated clean.

Mikhail Kolyada had the technical and artistic goods that he should have been competing with Hanyu and Chen for the top spot but he struggled to put it all together in competition.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sasha Cohen, while she did have a great career she struggled to be clean and could have had more victories than she did if she skated clean.

Mikhail Kolyada had the technical and artistic goods that he should have been competing with Hanyu and Chen for the top spot but he struggled to put it all together in competition.
Yes to both of these, wonderful when they were on, but so often something went off.... Sasha's Olympic freeskate was both heartbreaking and beautiful.

Trensharo

Rinkside
Mirai Nagasu

And who was the young girl that Tom Z was coaching? She had one bad FS at nationals and then she retired (injuries?). She was a young Asian girl, but she was lovely to watch.