About Miki | Page 2 | Golden Skate

About Miki

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
she is definetly getting her fame off the injury

As a former World Champion, she doesn’t need to get “fame” off an injury. She gets plenty of attention as is ;)

last year since she got hurt. and fans are still feeling sorry for her in june of this year.

Her shoulder injury is very serious, and from what I know, is basically permanent until she either gets surgery for it, or it somehow heals itself over a long period of time. So, of course her fans feel sorry for this situation and wish the best for her healthy recovery.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her shoulder injury is very serious, and from what I know, is basically permanent until she either gets surgery for it, or it somehow heals itself over a long period of time. So, of course her fans feel sorry for this situation and wish the best for her healthy recovery.

Dislocated shoulders don't heal themselves, especially on an athlete who subjects her shoulders day in and day out to torque while spinning and jumping.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Dislocated shoulders don't heal themselves, especially on an athlete who subjects her shoulders day in and day out to torque while spinning and jumping.

All the more reason for her fans to be as supportive as possible :)

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
Chuckm, you're correct; one can say such common cartilage damage as "serious" when it's about a figure skater.
Yes, there were quite many of her fans shocked to hear she didn't choose surgery, in great expectations for her to be in full condition for Vancouver.

Of course, it seems it was a very difficult decision for Miki herself. She once believed that the surgery would be just once and bringing complete recovery, but it wasn't like that.
(BTW I forgot to write that according to Miki, she talked with her coach on this matter, too.)

As I already assumed, she builds up her motivation yearly with no further prospects, IMO.
(She used to say in '05 that Torino could be her very last competition.)
It's only my guess but to give herself a complete blank that exceeds a year might have been beyond her reality to stay alive.

And also, she said in that short interview on Fuji-TV that she now often finds herself excited about this coming season, which she says didn't happen to her last year.
She had a very natural smile saying so, we could feel her relief and joy.
So she must have wanted this season for her, not a blank.

IMO it must be most depressing for a skater when bashers say he/she uses injuries as excuses. So I'll add this:
Miki also said in the interview that she questioned herself deeply after the Worlds, whether she has the right to stay as a competitor, since to be injury-prone is not a good thing at all; "though injury comes when you don't want it to, to get injured often is something that can't be praised as an athlete."
And shyly concluded, "...but I chose to skate this season, be myself, be positive."

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO it must be most depressing for a skater when bashers say he/she uses injuries as excuses. So I'll add this:
Miki also said in the interview that she questioned herself deeply after the Worlds, whether she has the right to stay as a competitor, since to be injury-prone is not a good thing at all; "though injury comes when you don't want it to, to get injured is something that can't be praised as an athlete."
And shyly said, "...but I chose to skate this season, be myself, be positive."

Amen!

antmanb

Record Breaker
i wasn't there, but I think Mike is doing great with this injury.

She is milking it for all its worth. she is definetly getting her fame off the injury/. This way she can say she on the comeback and use it as an excuse to win. lets see.
tenely missed a year due to injury --won the next
carol missed a year due to inury won the next
it seems if you miss due to injury you win the next.
but because of the hullaboo over the injury --i just can't get into it. the gushing over injuries.
it is overly hyped by the fans --feel sorry for her. okay maybe but it is what the injury actually happened in october of last year since she got hurt. and fans are still feeling sorry for her in june of this year. yep, fans milking for all its worth. a little too much for me. i bet she will milke it for all its worth this coming season.
time to get over it.
yu-na by the way great injury the same time the last two years--interesting.
don't win==use injury as an excuse. instead of it just didn't work.
i am totally over this sorry excuses for injury bit by fans and atheltes, coaches

by the way --evans excuse for getting out of worlds --to me was bogus.
he never let michelle get out. he even made timothy skate when he was visible sick. go figure. times have changed, but Not for the better.

So people injured go on to win the next year do they?

Like:

Stojko
Urmanov
Abt
Klimkin
Cohen
Kwan
Lipinski
Nikodinov

And that's just off the top of my head. You are clearly an idiot.

Ant

M

myasada

i wasn't there, but I think Mike is doing great with this injury.

She is milking it for all its worth. she is definetly getting her fame off the injury/. This way she can say she on the comeback and use it as an excuse to win. lets see.
tenely missed a year due to injury --won the next
carol missed a year due to inury won the next
it seems if you miss due to injury you win the next.
but because of the hullaboo over the injury --i just can't get into it. the gushing over injuries.
it is overly hyped by the fans --feel sorry for her. okay maybe but it is what the injury actually happened in october of last year since she got hurt. and fans are still feeling sorry for her in june of this year. yep, fans milking for all its worth. a little too much for me. i bet she will milke it for all its worth this coming season.
time to get over it.
yu-na by the way great injury the same time the last two years--interesting.
don't win==use injury as an excuse. instead of it just didn't work.
i am totally over this sorry excuses for injury bit by fans and atheltes, coaches

by the way --evans excuse for getting out of worlds --to me was bogus.
he never let michelle get out. he even made timothy skate when he was visible sick. go figure. times have changed, but Not for the better.

Don't be ridiculous.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the average non-athlete with a dislocated shoulder, the surgery WOULD be a cure-all, but for an elite skater, the nature of the sport is such that continual strain would be placed on the repaired shoulder and there could be more problems downstream. I perfectly understand why Miki opted not to have the surgery. She didn't like the idea that she could have the surgery, be out of commission for almost a year, but still have problems afterward.

Miki is very brave to continue skating with this condition, which can be excruciatingly painful when the shoulder pops out of alignment. I wish her the best of luck and hope she has made the right choice.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I have never hd this type of shoulder injury but it sounds painful and I wish her the best. Hopefully it won't leave long term effects eg, Tara's hip, etc.

Craig Buntin had this surgery and I wonder how he will be able to do lifts etc. ??

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Craig Buntin did not have a dislocated shoulder, but a completely different problem: a torn rotator cuff, an injury to the muscles and tendons which support the shoulder. This is a condition which is quite painful, and which limits the range of motion of the arm and shoulder. Surgery should correct the problem and Buntin should be fine after a period of rehabilitation, when he needs to limit activities which stress the shoulder.