thinking about next boot? | Golden Skate

thinking about next boot?

Hi! I'm an adult skater who has been on ice since October 2022 and while I hopefully won't need to upgrade my skates for a few more months, I want to start thinking about what I can expect.

I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds, just starting my single jumps (toe and sal, loop soon). I started in Jackson Excel but killed those in a month, and have been in Jackson Evo since then, so 7 months. I don't feel like the support is dangerously low but sometimes I wish I had more, and the boots have significantly more give to them now when I squeeze them, and I want to be prepared in case they die anytime soon.

I of course plan to visit my skate tech, but he's the only one in my area, and some of you are very knowledgeable so I figured I'd ask here. Would Edea Ice Fly or Jackson Synergy Elite be overbooting for me? I know they were meant for higher levels, but I'm not exactly feather-light, and I have really strong ankle bend. If they'd be too much, what models would y'all recommend? And would Coronation Ace make sense as a blade? Any relevant differences between regular and Revolution?

I like the idea of Edea and specifically Ice Fly, but I could just be being influenced, so I want a Jackson option too, since they fit me okay. I haven't been able to try Edea on yet, but Jacksons are a little wide around the ball and toes, so it might be possible that Edeas will be a better fit. Maybe not, though.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'm an adult skater who has been on ice since October 2022 and while I hopefully won't need to upgrade my skates for a few more months, I want to start thinking about what I can expect.

I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds, just starting my single jumps (toe and sal, loop soon). I started in Jackson Excel but killed those in a month, and have been in Jackson Evo since then, so 7 months. I don't feel like the support is dangerously low but sometimes I wish I had more, and the boots have significantly more give to them now when I squeeze them, and I want to be prepared in case they die anytime soon.

I of course plan to visit my skate tech, but he's the only one in my area, and some of you are very knowledgeable so I figured I'd ask here. Would Edea Ice Fly or Jackson Synergy Elite be overbooting for me? I know they were meant for higher levels, but I'm not exactly feather-light, and I have really strong ankle bend. If they'd be too much, what models would y'all recommend? And would Coronation Ace make sense as a blade? Any relevant differences between regular and Revolution?

I like the idea of Edea and specifically Ice Fly, but I could just be being influenced, so I want a Jackson option too, since they fit me okay. I haven't been able to try Edea on yet, but Jacksons are a little wide around the ball and toes, so it might be possible that Edeas will be a better fit. Maybe not, though.
Hi and welcome!

You should NOT be in an Evo, like ever at your height/weight. Those are for very light kids. And PLEASE do not jump in them, you risk injury.

And yes Edea ice fly is the other end of the spectrum for high level skaters who need the super stiffness, so no you don't need that anytime soon or possibly ever.

At your level, Coronation Ace is a great blade. Get traditional, revolution has more downsides at your level than upside.

For boots you really need to get a professional fitting, not a pro shop who only knows hockey and thinks they know figure skating, per se. The fitter should trace and measure your feet, look at the shape and other details as well as your level, height/weight, arches, and then suggest the brand that is best for your foot as well as a boot that is the proper stiffness for your stats and skating level.

If Jackson is too wide for you then look at Risport, Riedell, Graf.

Hi and welcome!

You should NOT be in an Evo, like ever at your height/weight. Those are for very light kids. And PLEASE do not jump in them, you risk injury.

And yes Edea ice fly is the other end of the spectrum for high level skaters who need the super stiffness, so no you don't need that anytime soon or possibly ever.

At your level, Coronation Ace is a great blade. Get traditional, revolution has more downsides at your level than upside.

For boots you really need to get a professional fitting, not a pro shop who only knows hockey and thinks they know figure skating, per se. The fitter should trace and measure your feet, look at the shape and other details as well as your level, height/weight, arches, and then suggest the brand that is best for your foot as well as a boot that is the proper stiffness for your stats and skating level.

If Jackson is too wide for you then look at Risport, Riedell, Graf.
Thank you! I figured as much, lol! I'm in central Alabama, do you know of any reputable fitters near here or in Memphis or Nashville? My pro shop has some figure skate knowledge, but they did put me in Evo, and they never traced/measured my feet. I'll follow any advice I receive from a fitter, but in your opinion would Risport Royal Pro be better suited to my level?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! I figured as much, lol! I'm in central Alabama, do you know of any reputable fitters near here or in Memphis or Nashville? My pro shop has some figure skate knowledge, but obviously not enough if they put me in Evo, and they never traced/measured my feet. I'll follow any advice I receive from a fitter, but in your opinion would Risport Royal Pro be better suited to my level?
Make sure it's a reputable fitter. And there are a few of us here that have the experience to tell you what you're going to need for the fitter.
Risport Royal Pro is going to be too much for you. I would not put you in a Risport over an RF3 pro at this point, but first you need to know what brand of boot best works with your feet and not just pick a brand and go with it. You need what is best for you and fits you properly.

Rainbo Sports Nashville
4015 Travis Dr Suite 101
Nashville, Tennessee 37211

PH: 615-864-7651

Rainbo Sports Nashville
4015 Travis Dr Suite 101
Nashville, Tennessee 37211

PH: 615-864-7651
I went here yesterday and got fitted, Risports were great. The RF3 is unavailable in my size with no estimate on when new stock will come in, so he had me try the Royal Pro, which was in stock in my size, and I was able to bend perfectly fine, so he thinks I'll be fine in them, especially since the stiffness ratings are so close and the main difference between them is the collar style (which I like better on the Royal line than the RF line--I put on RF1s for a second just to see the difference). So, I have the Royal Pro with standard CA.

I've done two thirty-minute break-in sessions on ice, one yesterday when I got back and one today, and they feel lovely. I feel a lot more secure since the boots support my weight, I love the range of motion the Royal collar allows, and the difference between the starter Ultima blade and the CA is literally night and day. Thank you @Ic3Rabbit for your help!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I went here yesterday and got fitted, Risports were great. The RF3 is unavailable in my size with no estimate on when new stock will come in, so he had me try the Royal Pro, which was in stock in my size, and I was able to bend perfectly fine, so he thinks I'll be fine in them, especially since the stiffness ratings are so close and the main difference between them is the collar style (which I like better on the Royal line than the RF line--I put on RF1s for a second just to see the difference). So, I have the Royal Pro with standard CA.

I've done two thirty-minute break-in sessions on ice, one yesterday when I got back and one today, and they feel lovely. I feel a lot more secure since the boots support my weight, I love the range of motion the Royal collar allows, and the difference between the starter Ultima blade and the CA is literally night and day. Thank you @Ic3Rabbit for your help!
You are very welcome! It makes me so happy to hear that everything worked out for you and you are in great skates!