Year in Review: Sasha Cohen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Year in Review: Sasha Cohen

kemy

Rinkside
no...CMM is Sasha's PR group...they designed and implemented the website. They also represent many other skaters, including Fumie.

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
So Sasha's PR people did not write that, but copy it from the CMM group who represented both skater. The idiots at CMM discredit one of their skater's achievement, and somehow that ended up in Sasha's official website. Somewhere along that line some one dropped the ball.

Then why did Sasha's PR people copy and post that in her official web site, they can promote Sasha without discrediting Fumie.

Yes, IMO you assume big that Fumie agrees with CMM that she won b/c she was in an easier qualifying round. They wrote that in Sasha's paragraph, not in Fumie's. We only know that Sasha agrees with what CMM, and her PR wrote about Fumie's QR.

You may disagree with CMM's incentives all you want, but CMM is an official web site and a PR firm for BOTH Sasha and Fumie (and bunch of other skaters).

Sasha uses all CMM's articles, to report on her competitions, I see no reason why it had to be different with World's. Let's get it straight: Fumie's PR people don't believe that she's been discredited, CMM, that put up this piece doesn't think there's anything wrong, Fumie also doesn't think they've done her wrong, or she'd make an effort by now to take those few words out. But YOU think Fumie was discredited. Could you allow yourself to think, that you may be wrong?

CMM (Collins-Marshall Management) represents many skaters, including Goebel, Cohen, Plushenko, Slutskaya, Petrenko, Sokolova, Totmianina and Marinin, Suguri, Lang and Tchernyshev, Annissina and Peiserat, Punsalan and Swallow, McDonough, and Weir. Several of these compete against each other.

http://www.cmmskating.com/skaters.shtml

Michael Collins is also involved in Champions on Ice, which connects him to many other skaters. In fact, there has been some question of conflict of interest. In deciding which skaters will be invited to tour with COI, Collins might be tempted to push the skaters that CMM represents.

My understanding is that different agents within the CMM umbrella have responsibility for different accounts. There was an article a while back about Plushenko's agent joining the group. I think that his job is just to promote Plushenko, and that he does not have much contact on a day to day basis with the agents handling the accounts of other skaters.

About the infamous "stronger group" versus "weaker group" at the Worlds qualifying round, this was discussed to death at the time; but here are my two cents worth. I hope that Sasha and her fans do not harbor bad feelings about "the luck of the draw," in that she had to skate against the top people, such as Michelle, Elena and Sarah. We do not hear any complaints along the line, "Poor Michelle, she had to skate against Elena, Sasha and Sarah." We do not hear Elena or her supporters complain, "Poor me, I had to skate against Michelle, Sasha and Sarah." In Elena's case, quite the contrary -- she said that she was thrilled at the chance to compete against the best skaters in the world. And even more thrilled, I would imagin, when she held her own in such company!

Anyway, that's ancient history now. This is going to be the most exciting season ever. Sasha is going to spring out if the blocks like a tiger, but she'll have to mix it up with the world's best at the Campbell Soup Bowl as well as the Grand Prix events. Then there is always Michelle waiting patiently at the end of the road at Nationals. The brash, bold young challenger against the much-decorated veteran champion. Whoever you are rooting for, it's going to be a lot of fun for the fans.

Mathman

Last edited:

Norlite

On the Ice
Mathman said:
About the infamous "stronger group" versus "weaker group" at the Worlds qualifying round, this was discussed to death at the time; but here are my two cents worth. I hope that Sasha and her fans do not harbor bad feelings about "the luck of the draw,"

There was no "luck of the draw" the groups were divided according to seeds weren't they?

I find it strange that people who are now hailing the fact that Sasha is the number 2 skater in the world (but *really* #1) are usually the same people that say one qualifying group was weaker (Fumie's) than the other, no matter what the standings say.
:rolleye:

Last edited:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Norlite said:
There was no "luck of the draw" the groups were divided according to seeds weren't they?

I find it strange that people who are now hailing the fact that Sasha is the number 2 skater in the world (but *really* #1) are usually the same people that say one qualifying group was weaker (Fumie's) than the other, no matter what the standings say. :rolleye:
There was some "luck of the draw" in the groups -- after the skaters who were at Worlds in 2002 were assigned to group A or group B, then the rest was done in alpha order -- by country, then skater. Where in the alphabet they start IS the "luck of the draw" as is how many skater from each country there are in that list -- also where there are no-shows from previous year's competitors that readjust the order. All-in-all things are usually somewhat evenly balanced, though some years it seems as if most of the front-runners among the top 10 are in one group (I think 2000 was similar in this respect).

lavender

Record Breaker
I’m thinking that way. I was thinking it wasn’t a lucky thing for Michelle to have to skate against Elena, Sasha and Sarah. I mean some fans feel Sasha’s the best skater out of all of them so why was it unlucky for Sasha? Wouldn’t it be that the others were unlucky to have to skate against Sasha. I’m really not getting it.

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
sasha's season

lavender said:
I’m thinking that way. I was thinking it wasn’t a lucky thing for Michelle to have to skate against Elena, Sasha and Sarah. I mean some fans feel Sasha’s the best skater out of all of them so why was it unlucky for Sasha? Wouldn’t it be that the others were unlucky to have to skate against Sasha. I’m really not getting it.

Lavender, echo your sentiments!! Right on.

Bottomeline I think Sasha had a good season overall, last year. Sometimes I think we get ahead of ourselves. Remember the Olympics was sasha's first Big major Internatinal comp. and she placed 4th(3rd after short). Sasha has the ability to be the best, she just has to put it all together. She will, no doubt, come out like gang busters this year, I believe in Sasha!! It will be so exciting to be a skating fan for the next 7 months:love:

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:

My understanding is that different agents within the CMM umbrella have responsibility for different accounts. There was an article a while back about Plushenko's agent joining the group. I think that his job is just to promote Plushenko, and that he does not have much contact on a day to day basis with the agents handling the accounts of other skaters.

About the infamous "stronger group" versus "weaker group" at the Worlds qualifying round, this was discussed to death at the time; but here are my two cents worth. I hope that Sasha and her fans do not harbor bad feelings about "the luck of the draw," in that she had to skate against the top people, such as Michelle, Elena and Sarah. We do not hear any complaints along the line, "Poor Michelle, she had to skate against Elena, Sasha and Sarah." We do not hear Elena or her supporters complain, "Poor me, I had to skate against Michelle, Sasha and Sarah." In Elena's case, quite the contrary -- she said that she was thrilled at the chance to compete against the best skaters in the world. And even more thrilled, I would imagin, when she held her own in such company!

Mathman
Quite possibly, different agents at CMM handle different skaters. But since they're operating under one umbrella, there should be someone who oversees the mutual effort, so agents don't write contradictory information, and one skater doesn't get "promoted" at expense of another. And if agents don't do a very good job at that, it's ridiculous to blame skaters for any blunders, that may occur.

As far as I can see on this thread, Sasha fans don't harbor any bad feelings towards any skater. This topic supposed to be about Sasha's year in review, reflected by the USFSA, but is used by some non fans to slam Sasha for "degrading" of Fumie Suguri, as if Sasha wrote, or commissioned anything to be written the way it was. This is quite a defamation of character, disguised as a sensitivity towards Fumie's feelings.

rtureck

Final Flight
UOTE

And if agents don't do a very good job at that, it's ridiculous to blame skaters for any blunders, that may occur

We have been talking about Sasha's agent / PR people all along, no one is blaming Sasha for the agents' blunders.

This is quite a defamation of character, disguised as a sensitivity towards Fumie's feelings.

People talk about Sasha's PR people, some Sasha fans are a bit over sensitive again. Just because some Fumie fans do not agree with what the PR people wrote in no way was that "defamation of character". A Sasha fan is throwing around "bashing", "spreading tales", "Sasha ill wishers", and "defamation of character" This is a general message board, not Cohen fans message board, posters should be able to write different opinions without these accusations being hurled at them at the drop of a hat.

BTW, Lanie is a Sasha fan (and fans of others too), and s/he thought the PR people were "rude"

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
People talk about Sasha's PR people, some Sasha fans are a bit over sensitive again. Just because some Fumie fans do not agree with what the PR people wrote in no way was that "defamation of character". A Sasha fan is throwing around "bashing", "spreading tales", "Sasha ill wishers", and "defamation of character" This is a general message board, not Cohen fans message board, posters should be able to write different opinions without these accusations being hurled at them at the drop of a hat.

Tureck, thanks for clarifying this matter for me. This is not against Sasha, only against her "PR" people! It makes a world of difference to me, and I trust you'll keep this admission in your record of my quotes (I'm flattered, indeed).

Nevertheless, I firmly believe, that purging of bashing won't make the board any less "general" than it is, and won't turn it into a Cohen fans message board (God forbid!).

rtureck

Final Flight
I firmly believe, that purging of bashing won't make the board any less "general" than it is, and won't turn it into a Cohen fans message board (God forbid!)."

Where do you see the (Sasha) bash, you accused people of "bashing" because they do not worship Sasha in the same intensity. Please read the guidelines about bashing before you throw that around. We have many moderators here, one of the moderator is an adminstrator of 2 Sasha Cohen sites, I am sure if there are any real Sasha bashings, the moderators will take care.

You also accuse people of "ills wishers", again, has anyone wish Sasha ill? This is a general board, most of us do not live breath , and worship Sasha like you do, but no one has so far wish her ill.

I never said this board will turn into a Cohen message board, I am just reminding you that this is a general board, you can not expect gushings ad naseum when it comes to Sasha or any skater

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Where do you see the (Sasha) bash, you accused people of "bashing" because they do not worship Sasha in the same intensity. Please read the guidelines about bashing before you throw that around. We have many moderators here, one of the moderator is an adminstrator of 2 Sasha Cohen sites, I am sure if there are any real Sasha bashings, the moderators will take care.

You also accuse people of "ills wishers", again, has anyone wish Sasha ill? This is a general board, most of us do not live breath , and worship Sasha like you do, but no one has so far wish her ill.

I never said this board will turn into a Cohen message board, I am just reminding you that this is a general board, you can not expect gushings ad naseum when it comes to Sasha or any skater
Since you're answering my last post, where did I say "Sasha bash", who did I accuse of being an "ill wisher" again? Where did I express the expectations at "gushing ad naseum" in regard to ANY skater? You're putting words into my mouth, and twisting everything I've said. I would suggest YOU read the board guidelines, but it's probably too late for that at this point, having your head examined is a better option.

Registered, for my part it certainly was not my intention to blame Sasha for anything. I guess what I am trying to say is this: I hope that Sasha is looking forward to this season and not worrying about whether she had bad luck in the past.

MM

rtureck

Final Flight
registered said:
Since you're answering my last post, where did I say "Sasha bash", who did I accuse of being an "ill wisher" again? Where did I express the expectations at "gushing ad naseum" in regard to ANY skater? You're putting words into my mouth, and twisting everything I've said. I would suggest YOU read the board guidelines, but it's probably too late for that at this point, having your head examined is a better option.

For starter, "Hold off your bashings, while I search for some Sasha pictures to show off her balletic arms"

"bashing" "ill wishers" "spreading tales" and "defamation of character", those are your words. Now if I misunderstood what you meant, then feel free to clarify.

"suggest your head examined", that comes close to flaming, JMHO

Last edited:
PS. Registered, um, is there any chance that I might get you to edit out that "head examined" thing in your last post? I'll delete this one if you do. Peace.:)

RTureck -- Is there any chance that I can get you to hold off answering for a little while?

Mathman

Last edited:
Oops. I was too late. OK, Registered, is there any chance I can get YOU to hold off answering for a little bit.

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
For starter, "Hold off your bashings, while I search for some Sasha pictures to show off her balletic arms"

Never said that one for starters.

rtureck said:
"bashing" "ill wishers" "spreading tales" and "defamation of character", those are your words.

This didn't come from my last post, as you claimed. You've pulled it from different posts, not to mention you give it out of quote.

rtureck said:
""suggest your head examined", that comes close to flaming, JMHO

It's not flaming, it's a friendly advise. Don't you see your shadowing my every post with yours "we dont have to praise Cohen ad naseum" mantra, as deeply troubling?

Sasha Cohen has plenty of fans -- learn to live with it.

rtureck

Final Flight
Mathman, what is the definition of a while?

Anyway registered here is one for starters:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2193&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

'I'm going to find few pictures of Sasha, showcasing "balletic" arms. Please wait until I actually post them, before you continue with your bashing."

I am sure there are a lot of Sasha Cohen fans, but none has been so sensitive as ahem........., and so readily accuse others of bashings, when others are just discussing skating, or offering constructive criticism.

"as deeply troubling?"

This too is close to flaming, JMO

Last edited: