Mens lp | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Mens lp

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If history has taught us anything, Brian Joubert will come back fighting at the European Champions with a vengence.

So Brian can repeat history, but not Evan? ;)

Last I checked Evan's done quite a few "comeback" programs/competitions in the last 3 years.

I think that Brian should give Kurt Browning a call and whatever happened that gave him the idea NOT to use Kurt Browning again, he should just forget about. Some of his best work was done with Kurt Browning, and I think that he needs to work with him again.

I'm not sure Joubert didn't want to use Browning, Kurt took time off from most of his choreography duties. I assume due to his father's battle with cancer :cry:

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
So Brian can repeat history, but not Evan? ;)

Last I checked Evan's done quite a few "comeback" programs/competitions in the last 3 years.

That brings his LP in Torino to mind. Probably my favorite performance of Carmen from him.

Anyway back on topic...I really hope Brian can have a quick recovery. Wishing him (and everyone else who's been hurt/sick here, there's been so many!) all the best.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny Weir
I'm not sure what to say. It didn't leave any impression on me. Johnny needs to go back to being Johnny; this was bland. I think he was better on the SL steps at NHK.

As in past season I think Weir´s freeskate choreography is rather lacking again and it seems to me that the judges have started to notice it (finally) and the result can be seen in his PC scores. While I think that it was great Weir got a medal from GPF, I would appreciate it more if he would have been able to win that medal with Joubert in the competition....

shine

Record Breaker
Well, what do we know - Jeremy Abbott is the REAL DEAL!!
I think I'm in love with men's skating all over again, thank God for Jeremy Abbott after Savoie and Lambiel have both been gone! This guy has absolutely everything, and I say, everything. His musicality is so sophisticated but still very heartfelt and non-pretentious, and with that LP, he's created another masterpiece on ice for us to remember. I just love it! :love:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm not sure Joubert didn't want to use Browning, Kurt took time off from most of his choreography duties. I assume due to his father's battle with cancer :cry:
I also heard it was Kurt's decision, and regardless of who made the call, it might be good for Brian to experiment with different types of choreo before the Olympic season. I hope his injury is not too serious - does anyone have any info on that?

Bennett

Record Breaker
BTW, I really loved the understated musicality and costume of Taka. My mom who was watching the competition with me initially didn't like the costume because it's too understated, but somehow came to like it a lot as he skated. I had exactly the same experience. His choreos and costume are basically stating the same philosophy. I love the chores that hit each note of the music as he danced. Nothing dramatic, but pleasantly musical in a very subtle, understated manners.

Yet, I liked his SP better because it's a lot more complicated transition-wise.

I really loved Patrick's LP, too. He is much more mature than Taka in terms of musicality and dancing. His program is fab in a lot of ways. Elegant steps and elegant musicality. Besides, he dances very well using his whole body. He is so mature in his skating that I can't believe that he is not in his late 20s yet.

I also loved Tomas's programs. He is a fab performer with fantastic charisma. His steps look very clean and precise while dancing so passionately at the same time. That's simply amazing. But he had some sloppy moments in the middle, which made me worried about his physical conditions.

Although I wasn't particularly impressed by Jeremy's steps, I really, really liked the choreos throughout the programs.

I like Johnny's steps for musicality and smooth carriage. Whatever he does, it is always beautiful and smooth.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Anyway back on topic...I really hope Brian can have a quick recovery. Wishing him (and everyone else who's been hurt/sick here, there's been so many!) all the best.
According to the latest report I read, Joubert may have to withdraw from French Nationals, which are being held this week. He tried accupuncture in Korea before the GPF and apparently it did not do him any good. He's due back in France today, and I hope he won't be sidelined for too long.

Tigger, you're right, he should fly first class - if he can afford it ;).

Bennett, Kozuka is a tad too understated for me - and I think a subtle skater should go for calmer, lass dramatic music than Romeo and Juliet. I don't mind the lack of glitter and embelishment on his costume, but I think he needed something to break up that purple monochoromatic look - a belt, a stripe, a lower neckline.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Bennett, Kozuka is a tad too understated for me - and I think a subtle skater should go for calmer, lass dramatic music than Romeo and Juliet.

That's a good point. Perhaps if he chooses to do R&J, a more understated variation of this music played with less musical instruments may have worked better. Then it would have given a refreshing interpretation of R&J that has been so overused in FS.

I may want to see him skating to some pieces played with guitar or piano & celo:love: He has some mature, calm quality. Take five was also a good choice because of his superb steps.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I may want to see him skating to some pieces played with guitar or piano & celo:love: He has some mature, calm quality.
Maybe he should try Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - it's a much better fit for him than for Tomas, and it's got loads of cello music. I'm tired of piano pieces anyway.

I missed Joubert not because he is a favorite but because he is a bravado skater. We had 5 lyrical male skaters, and they all used lyrical music - maybe not Jeremy.

Johnny had a super clean skate to that monatone music he uses. Of course, his Flow, is among the best of the few.

Tomas had more a variety of connecting steps but lacked any change of rhythm

Chan has that Flow, but no change of pace in the program.

Kozuka was more like doing the Roti - one note- R&J.background type of music.

All of the above could, imo, get a musical piece or pieces that show me and other musical enthusiasts some ability to skate to a variety of music.

Abbott, imo, was the only one showing changes of music rhythms in his program.

I realize music doesn't play that bigger role under the CoP, but I think it leaves impressions for some of the judges and put them in a more realistic PC mode.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I hate the music to Kozuka's LP. Well, I actually hate the cut - it seemed so fragmented. Really strange, he doesn't even stand a chance of interpreting anything. He is a young guy and said himself that he is not the lyrical - romantic person - give him the soundtrack of Mission Impossible, Matrix or xXx. He can try other stuff later, right now he needs to have fun and land the jumps.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I missed Joubert not because he is a favorite but because he is a bravado skater. We had 5 lyrical male skaters, and they all used lyrical music - maybe not Jeremy.

All of the above could, imo, get a musical piece or pieces that show me and other musical enthusiasts some ability to skate to a variety of music.

Abbott, imo, was the only one showing changes of music rhythms in his program.

I realize music doesn't play that bigger role under the CoP, but I think it leaves impressions for some of the judges and put them in a more realistic PC mode.
Totally agree about the relative lack of variety in the performances from the men's field at this GPF. I've no objection to artistic, subtle, lyrical skaters, but I'd rather not have the entire field made up of them. Verner with the right piece of music would have been an exception.

I missed Brian, who doesn't do classical and subtle. And Stephane, who did do classical, but was magnificent at it. And Dai the techno-swan (even though I didn't like that SP). And even Evan Lysacek (maybe not Tosca, though ;)). This year's finalists are talented, and may be super-nice, but I could have used a bit more excitement and attitude on the ice.

waxel

Final Flight
I was thrilled with Jeremy's LP --- he skated well and his program had true momentum--- plus he also seemed to posess genuine passion. That comination is hard to beat. Still, almost surprised that he was awarded justly due to lack of Int'l experience and judges usual hesitance to reward an "untested" skater. It was a wonderful skate and the biggest thrill of GPF.

Now please ... don't make this a Johnny-bash. But one can't help note the low PCS. Why is it happening? I am thinking that the (possibly) uninspired choreography is leading to a general dis-interest in his skating amongst the judges? Because even non-fans rarely knock his skating skills. Is it a matter that he just needs a newer/stronger choreographer? Although rewarded for technical merit --- he did 3 axel jumps back-to-back. This just says to me that the choreography is lacking. He is clearly back on track technically after changing coaches ... I just wish he was getting the same artistic shot-in-the-arm. He is still capable of GREAT things ... but an artist needs to be challenged, inspired. I'm not saying change his 'style" ... just challenge it and push it to the egde. I can only dream how great he could be with a truly strong choreographer. Wilson? Miller? Kawahara? ... I would just dearly love to see him pushed artistically. Wow ... the thought of a Buttle-Weir collaboration ... dunno ... I'm babbling ...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Denis does a great job with Johnny's programs. I really liked his LP last year, as did a lot of people around us)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't think bravado accurately describes Joubert.
That post was kind of mean. He's obviously not a lyrical, understated guy (to put it mildly) but the point I think Joe was getting it is that's it's good to have variety in men's skating, and it seems like most of the male skaters who are athletic and more inclined towards showmanship are currently retired or injured.

waxel, I'm all for Johnny trying Buttle as a choreographer! I'm not sure if they get along or not, does anyone know?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the judges are definitely telling Johnny Weir that his programs are not COP friendly enough. Front-loading the long program with both 3Axel attempts and often times not maxing out his jump combinations as well as his simplistic choreography are really hurting him in the scoring. He still gives the impression of holding back and being cautious when he competes and that definitely hurts the PCS marks.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Hmmm, complicated choreos and well-balanced programs are not always translated into good PCSs unless they are effective and executed cleanly. I think that Johnny's choreos are very effective. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been so extremely popular worldwide without winning big international titles. Besides, I personally don't find his choreos that simple in the first place.

Although Johnny may have relatively a lot of crossovers and less transitional steps, there are other skaters with as many crossovers as Johnny who receive good PCS.

I wonder if his speed could be another factor. I feel that fast skaters tend to get a good PCS. He is not slow, but not as fast as some others.

ETA: I think that he could receive a relatively low score on transitions, but that he deserves very good marks on choreos and interpretations. I don't like that judges do not use PCS criteria discriminantly. Currently, it's difficult to see what factors may be most affecting his relatively low PCS because scores look too similar to each other.

Last edited: