Anyone gone to Blade Runners in St Pölten, Austria? | Golden Skate

Anyone gone to Blade Runners in St Pölten, Austria?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hello all,

Like the title says, has anyone been there for a skate fitting? If so, I would love to hear about your experience to help my anxiety at doing new things auf Deutsch. I'd be coming from Munich, getting my first new skates in almost 20 years, so I want to see if Jacksons are still right for me. Been playing with ice dance, but am mostly a freestyle skater just getting back into it after a long break, so will probably go with CA blades if I can get them.

Thoughts? Opinions? Hotel or restaurant recs if I should stay overnight?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I can highly recommend blade runners, but you have to make an appointment, the store is not always open.
Hi! I saw that on their website, so I knew I needed an appointment. Just wasn't sure if it'd be best to stay overnight, but I'll write them an email or give them a call and see what they say.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have an appointment scheduled with them this week, he had a last minute opening.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Update for anyone considering it: would highly recommend Blade Runners.

Logistics: I emailed the owner (in German) and he gave me some possible appointment times. I came by train from Munich, and then took a city bus from the train station (the buses were the hardest part to figure out, but you take the 7 to Schrebergasse stop). It's like 1/2 a block from the shop, which is in the ground floor of a house.

The fitting: I'd been in a 6C Jackson from ~2004 with OG Legacy blades (9 1/2") and I knew they were too big, but they were about two and half sizes too big. He fit me in 4.5W Jacksons, because my left foot was 3mm bigger than my right, but we weren't happy with them. He put me in a Risport RF3 Pro (size 235) and it was great even before he baked them. I am probably overbooted a bit for my current level, but I am okay with that, since I am someone who can (and does) spend lots of time jumping, I prefer a stiffer boot.

I'm heading to the rink on Sunday to test them out, and he warned me that with the size and blade change, I'd feel pretty wobbly for the first session or two. He had tons of blades in stock, and had both MK Pros and Coronation Ace in my size. I went with CA. He sharpened and mounted them, and warned me to be careful because they're super sharp.

I would recommend the shop but I have no idea if he speaks English. His Austrian accent was hard for me at times, even though I usually feel quite confident with my German in Munich (regional dialects will be the death of me). He was very firm that he wouldn't let me try other sizes of boots, and refused to let me near an Edea boot, which I wasn't thinking I'd go for anyways. He also said he'll ship basically anywhere in Europe, including the UK, so if you're looking for blades, check out his site. https://shop.eissport.biz/ I do think his prices are a bit high, compared to some of the other shops I looked at (like in Dresden or Innsbruck), but he has so many brands of skates, and I wanted to make sure I could try on lots of brands.

Feel free to PM or post questions below about my experience getting there or working with him.

Friday

Rinkside

Logistics: I emailed the owner (in German) and he gave me some possible appointment times. I came by train from Munich, and then took a city bus from the train station (the buses were the hardest part to figure out, but you take the 7 to Schrebergasse stop). It's like 1/2 a block from the shop, which is in the ground floor of a house.

The fitting: I'd been in a 6C Jackson from ~2004 with OG Legacy blades (9 1/2") and I knew they were too big, but they were about two and half sizes too big. He fit me in 4.5W Jacksons, because my left foot was 3mm bigger than my right, but we weren't happy with them. He put me in a Risport RF3 Pro (size 235) and it was great even before he baked them. I am probably overbooted a bit for my current level, but I am okay with that, since I am someone who can (and does) spend lots of time jumping, I prefer a stiffer boot.

I'm heading to the rink on Sunday to test them out, and he warned me that with the size and blade change, I'd feel pretty wobbly for the first session or two. He had tons of blades in stock, and had both MK Pros and Coronation Ace in my size. I went with CA. He sharpened and mounted them, and warned me to be careful because they're super sharp.

I would recommend the shop but I have no idea if he speaks English. His Austrian accent was hard for me at times, even though I usually feel quite confident with my German in Munich (regional dialects will be the death of me). He was very firm that he wouldn't let me try other sizes of boots, and refused to let me near an Edea boot, which I wasn't thinking I'd go for anyways. He also said he'll ship basically anywhere in Europe, including the UK, so if you're looking for blades, check out his site. https://shop.eissport.biz/ I do think his prices are a bit high, compared to some of the other shops I looked at (like in Dresden or Innsbruck), but he has so many brands of skates, and I wanted to make sure I could try on lots of brands.

Feel free to PM or post questions below about my experience getting there or working with him.
Just wondering how long it took you to travel from Munich to Blade Runners?
Although I probably won`t need to replace my boots in at least another year, I'm not sure if I will be going to Frankfurt again when the time comes, or if I should try out Dresden / St. Pölten.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Just wondering how long it took you to travel from Munich to Blade Runners?
Although I probably won`t need to replace my boots in at least another year, I'm not sure if I will be going to Frankfurt again when the time comes, or if I should try out Dresden / St. Pölten.
I took Westbahn from M Ost, because it's closer to my place, and it's about three and a half hours. I did it in a single day, but if I had planned it better, I would have combined it with a weekend in Vienna. 7 hours on the train is a lot for one day! Dresden does seem to be cheaper for the boots but they didn't have any CA in stock when I was looking. Of course, that shouldn't be an issue for next time. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'm so glad everything worked out for you! :)