Russian Nationals - Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals - Article

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think the last Russian sweep at JWC was back in '98: Julia Soldatova, Elena Ivanova, Viktoria Volchkova. Kristina Oblasova was the last Russian junior lady to medal, and that was in '01. Of the four, Volchkova had the most success as a senior, despite ongoing problems with injuries and nerves.

That was the one i was remembering! Wow ten years ago! I was sure that there was another year with the Russian ladies fairly near the top if not on the podium - perhaps it was the Oblasova year?

Ant

Eurofan

On the Ice
I do enjoy a research project. Here you go, Antmanb:

1999: Daria Timoshenko 1st, Viktoria Volchkova 3rd, Irina Nikolaevna 4th

2000: Daria Timoshenko 8th, Irina Tkatchuk 10th, Natalia Rizhova 16th

2001: Kristina Oblasova 1st, Svetlana Chernyshova 9th

2002: Kristina Oblasova 11th, Tatiana Basova 17th, Ekaterina Burtseva 20th

2003: Kristina Oblasova 9th, Olga Naidenova 15th

2004: Angelina Turenko 8th, Alima Geshkovich 15th

2005: Veronika Kropotina 12th, Lilia Baktagirova 13th

2006: Katarina Gerboldt 10th, Arina Martinova 12th

2007: Aliona Leonova 12th, Arina Martinova 13th

2008: Aliona Leonova 6th, Katarina Gerboldt 9th

I think Naidenova, Gerboldt, Leonova, and Martinova are the only ones competing as seniors.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I do enjoy a research project. Here you go, Antmanb:

1999: Daria Timoshenko 1st, Viktoria Volchkova 3rd, Irina Nikolaevna 4th

2000: Daria Timoshenko 8th, Irina Tkatchuk 10th, Natalia Rizhova 16th

2001: Kristina Oblasova 1st, Svetlana Chernyshova 9th

2002: Kristina Oblasova 11th, Tatiana Basova 17th, Ekaterina Burtseva 20th

2003: Kristina Oblasova 9th, Olga Naidenova 15th

2004: Angelina Turenko 8th, Alima Geshkovich 15th

2005: Veronika Kropotina 12th, Lilia Baktagirova 13th

2006: Katarina Gerboldt 10th, Arina Martinova 12th

2007: Aliona Leonova 12th, Arina Martinova 13th

2008: Aliona Leonova 6th, Katarina Gerboldt 9th

I think Naidenova, Gerboldt, Leonova, and Martinova are the only ones competing as seniors.

Thanks for all your efforst Eurofan! Looks like 1998 was the only year i was thinking of!

Ant

Kasey

Medalist
Any video postings from Russian Nationals? Dominina/Shabalin should have enough time to prepare for Worlds. The wear and tear of a full season is just so... ugh.

I have some on Youtube; username kismac67. Mostly some of the men's, pairs and gala

Anna

On the Ice
None of the previous Russian Junior Ladies have been quite as strong as Tutkamysheva/Shelepen/Sotnikova trio. Or at least as Tutkamysheva & Shelepen, because I think Sotnikova really got lucky in Kazan. Judging from I've seen from her in the past years and this season it is quite uncommon for her to mess so few jumps.

I wonder if anyone has a video of Sasha Cohen at the same age ? I'd be really curious to see how she looked a season or two before her grand debut at Senior nationals... Sotnikova really reminds me of a weaker version of her ca. the autumn of 2000 when I first saw Cohen at Cup of Russia.

Perhaps Timoshenko/Volchkova/Nikolaeva came the closest in level, but even them were, at best, on par with an average Senior skater of their time rather than being better than them in all aspects, but basic skating.

And, of course, they all have been substantially older. Without checking the birthdates my best guess is what only Kropotina & Biktagirova were not age-eiligible for Seniors at the time when they skated at Junior Worlds. In Russian training system it is very uncommon for someone, who is only 12 or 13 to attempt full arsenal of triples, let alone 3-3, with anything remotely approaching consistency.

Of course, how much of those triples surive next season remains to be seen. Both Kropotina and Biktagirova were sidelined with injuries after all the promises they made as Juniors and their attempts to come back never really took off the ground.

feraina

Record Breaker
These young Russian ladies look really promising! This strong crop of young Russians, the strong crop of 13-yr-old Japanese ladies bursting onto the junior scene this year, the strong crop of Americans in the pipeline (such as Nina Jiang) -- together they really promise a great junior competitive scene in a couple of years. It's really exciting!

Even China has a new crop of young skaters who are training with Mingzhu Li who seem really promising. Here are some practice videos of the Chinese girls spinning and jumping:
http://skateangel.blog.sohu.com/106438067.html
http://skateangel.blog.sohu.com/106159331.html (scroll down)
Oh, and this partially answers the question of what Bingwa Geng has been up to (asked in another thread).

1. I believe that a coach should look to the skaters to see if any of them have potential to begin with. Not difficult to follow them around the rink and watch their edges and musicality.

2. Since competitive skating is based on tricks, to look further than basics if there is natural ability in rotating the body in the air, and the elevation of jumping is comparatively high.

3. Check out the spins at a young age, and see if flexibility is there since that is so important now as well as flexibility in spirals. Spirals should be checked for solid edges or go back to number 1. above.

4. Give the kids a chance to perform even for a few minutes in front of an audience.

5. Last but not least, understand the skater's motivation. Does he/she really
wants to be a World Champ? and Why?

Priscilla Hill nurtured Weir through all the steps above and when the time came, she turned him over to a Master Coach. That's how it should be done, imo.