Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular

feraina

Record Breaker
When I watch Caroline, I sometimes get the feeling that even the most mundane steps go with the music -- I don't know if it's by chance or design. For example, in On My Own, her 3R-2T-2R went right with the music, including the two double jumps. Skaters like Ashley and Emily are good at aligning their triples with strong beats in the music, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone like Caroline, who can get the 2nd and 3rd jumps in a combo to go with the music, too. Somehow, she waited just long enough in between, and landed with just right kind of softness.

Then again, when she raises her leg from the Pearl into the Biellmann, it went right with a(n upward) change of keys in the music. You just get this impression of lifting up. The flying camel was great, I almost felt like she re-energized each revolution on the beat of the music, it was something when she went onto the inside edge and stretched out completely. Finally, in the set-up for the final I-spin, she did those three turns right along with the music too -- quick, quick, slow.

It's really amazing if she's really using all these little things to accentuate and highlight the music. She may not have great speed and power across the ice like some other elite skaters, but she sure has very fine control over her movements (not to mention considerable talent for musical interpretation). :love:

ETA: And the ridiculous thing is that this is not even her primary exhibition this season! She probably threw this together the last minute: new dress, new song, new choreography. I think if there was to be a world championship in interpretative figure skating, then she has a good chance of winning that. ;)

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
I rewatched OMO with the points you mentioned in mind, feraina, and you know what, you're right. :) I picked up on all those little details Caroline does to accentuate the choreography - I have no idea if she does them intentionally, but they're lovely to watch. Such a captivating little skater. Now I know the skate gods must hate me, because they've graced a skater with most of what I'd like to see, except for the beautiful jumps.

If anything, Caroline's entry into the flip seems to have gotten worse - she really picks high and twists her body into the rotations; it's really quite scary to watch.

Johar

Medalist
The guys were really in shape, but I'm not sure about the muscle flexing. :unsure:

In the Ice Network "Behing the Scenes" clip, the skaters were showing the gymnasts a few simple moves. That was cute. :biggrin:

Please add more detail to what happened! Thanks! :biggrin:

BTW, what are the names of the songs Evan skated to?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Four of the gymnasts did a high bar routine. They had no shirts on, and before the routine, they did a little muscle flexing for the audience, who ate it up, by the way. I am sure this is not something that would go on in an actual competition.

In the Ice Network piece, one of those guys ( fully clothed ) had skates on, and Caroline was showing him a few moves on the ice.

I got a DVD player / recorder for Christmas. I recorded the whole thing. When I get time, I will read the manual and see if there is a way to get a few screen captures.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
When I watch Caroline, I sometimes get the feeling that even the most mundane steps go with the music -- I don't know if it's by chance or design. For example, in On My Own, her 3R-2T-2R went right with the music, including the two double jumps. Skaters like Ashley and Emily are good at aligning their triples with strong beats in the music, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone like Caroline, who can get the 2nd and 3rd jumps in a combo to go with the music, too.

Erm, lol. Several people have had great combinations that go perfectly with the music. That was one of the highlights of Miki's Giselle program this season. I definitely do not feel like most Caroline's movements are particularly brilliant with the music. I'm really not sure what you mean by her 3R-2T-2R going with the music, because it didn't. The music didn't call for something like that, she just did it. Even in terms of the jumps just hitting a beat, that didn't happen either?

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm really not sure what you mean by her 3R-2T-2R going with the music, because it didn't. The music didn't call for something like that, she just did it. Even in terms of the jumps just hitting a beat, that didn't happen either?

It's in the accompaniment. I'm an Argentine tango dancer, which is largely improvised, and we listen to both the melodic and rhythmic components. I'll listen to it again later and see if I can describe what I'm hearing.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
How well did he do on skates? ;)

Let me first say I made a mistake, it was a ring routine, not a high bar routine. Though the guys did the high bar later.

The gymnast, Raj Bhavsar, was the shortest of his group. That probably explains why he and Caroline got along so well. :biggrin: He was a little shaky on the blades, but not too bad. He did a single spin.

Edit to add .... I was able to jury rig a screen capture system with my DVD player. Here is a shot of the flexing routine. Quality is very poor. Raj is on the left.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8523689-lg.jpg

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm really not sure what you mean by her 3R-2T-2R going with the music, because it didn't.

Okay, the 3R's landing went with the VER in "ri-VER" in the lyrics, which is on the strong downbeat of the measure, the double jumps went with the second and third beats. You can hear the piano accompaniment going ta-da-da-da ta-da-da-da in two sets of 1/16 notes while she's doing it.

I would say that finding a subtle part of music to express in your skating is even harder and more impressive than finding the really obvious strong beats, when the whole symphony orchestra goes bam-bam in unison or something. Actually, Ashley's programs last year were full of these all-to-obvious emphases, it felt kinda cheesy (to me). But honestly I can't remember Miki's Giselle combos this year, I'll have to see it again. With Miki, her poor posture and lack of stretch is so distracting (for me) that it's hard to concentrate on anything else in terms of her presentation/artistic interpretation.

PolymerBob: that's a hilarious picture! I like this Raj guy, though, he's nice and humble. Now I understand why Caroline looks almost taller than him, hehe. But Caroline is almost 5'4 now, so she isn't short by skating standards anymore! Wasn't she 4'11 just a year ago, and 4'7 two years ago? Crazy!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Another thing I noticed is that the guys playing the music were late with Caroline lullaby music. Here is Caroline's opening pose ..........

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8525695-lg.jpg

But the music was late, so Caroline looked up to see what was going on ............

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8525696-lg.jpg

Then they finally started. :laugh:

PolymerBob: that's a hilarious picture!

I think this one is even funnier. The blue color is due to the lighting. It looks they are wearing pajamas.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8526181-md.jpg

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
:laugh: Funny screencaps, I did think all the "manly" posing was a bit over the top. :biggrin:

Caroline is so cute! :love:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I thought that was funny. It's like she is saying ..........

................ Where is my music, butt-heads ???? :laugh:

LeCygne

Final Flight