Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tv alert -- Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular

feraina

Record Breaker
Apparently Caroline's second number is to Les Mis. It was beautiful. FSUers are suggesting she use that for her LP next season.

Johar

Medalist
Shawn Johnson has put some weight on. Maybe meds of some kind?

Loved Evan doing hip hop!

Nastia is so graceful!

Watching the men gymnast doing release skills took my breath away.

Johar

Medalist
ROTF at watching Tanith drag Tim Horton across the ice in his Ride a Horse, Save a Cowboy number.

Nastia did a beautiful floor routine to James Blunt's "You're Beautiful."

feraina

Record Breaker
Evan does a second number. Surprise: he's wearing all black again.

Interesting idea: Horton does a cowboy number, and is dragged around the ice by Tanith with that cowboy rope thingie. A spectacular release move on the high bar, but he misses the catch, and falls backwards, a bit scary (now to think of it, I think he also fell on a missed catch in the group high bars routine).

Then Nastia Liukin carried out by Todd Eldredge on ice. She is in a very sparkly, beautiful dark red dress. Wow! I love the smile on her face, and she smiles a lot throughout her routine. :) She opens with a tumbling pass: some combinatio of front hand-spring, summersaults, and twists (sorry, I'm not good at naming gymnastics elements). She looks great!

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Joannie Rochette is skating to Simone's live music. She's wearing that hideous pink sparkly costume, apparently issued by the show to the female skaters as part of their opening and closing numbers -- maybe her costume got lost on the flight. She's looking very good, 2A off the bat, 3S, 3R. A nice classic layback spin.

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, straight into the closing number, Joannie wouldn't have had time to change, it must have been deliberate. I know they try to make the show all fun and appealing, but those pink costumes for the girls/ladies are really hideous. Surely they could've picked something a little bit more tasteful??

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, that was a very nice show, I enjoyed that. Seeing Joannie skate at the end was a pleasant surprise -- I somehow had forgotten that she's also in this show (even though she had a brief appearance in the opening number).

I really hope that some of the numbers find their way onto the web, especially Caroline's second program. Maybe Icenetwork will show it on-demand as they did the Tylenol Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular? But how long did it take them from the show date to making it available?

mandykane21

Rinkside
Of course I missed it! I really wanted to see Zhang and Flatt (my personal choices for the World team, as I love them to bits!), but was on the road the entire time it was on. Do you think I'd be able to find it on the internet anytime soon? Oh, thanks for giving the PBP.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After Opening, first number is by Shawn Johnson. Oh, my, she's doubled in size since the Olympics (and not height-wise)...
I noticed that too, she even had dimples in her knees. I also noticed how wobbly she was.

I don't get the whole thing with Tanith & Evan and didn't really like it either. It looked like it was put together in 5 minutes. Where was Ben??

Dee

ANW

On the Ice
it's interesting to see Nastia Liukin and Caroline Zhang sharing the same stage! These two should do a flexbility competition and it probably will end up with a tie! :laugh:

feraina

Record Breaker
It's interesting that the female skaters are all competitive skaters, whereas the female gymnasts have all concluded their competitive careers (AFAIK). The gymnasts, except for Nastia, all looked like they were out of shape, especially Shawn Johnson. The skaters were all training hard toward National's and ISU championships. The difference in conditioning was really obvious. Shawn was not only wobbly on her beam routine, but totally out of breath after her floor routine. It's hard to believe that she just won an OGM in beam a few months ago.

But it can't only be because the gymnasts are "professionals" and skaters "amateurs" (these designations are really silly!), because the male gymnasts, also mostly finished with their competitive careres, were still mostly in good shape.

Johar

Medalist
I noticed that too, she even had dimples in her knees. I also noticed how wobbly she was.

I don't get the whole thing with Tanith & Evan and didn't really like it either. It looked like it was put together in 5 minutes. Where was Ben??

Dee

Ben is out with a hurt back.

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline's second number, "On My Own": :love::love::love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyogERFaJw

That was fast! Watch it before it's taken away. I agonized over whether to post the link, but I know if I don't someone else will, and anyway, even if nobody posted a link, NBC/Icenetwork/USFSA will take it away in a matter of days.

So enjoy it while you can!

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm torn, I can't decide which of Caroline's two exhibitions I like better. Anyway, they are my two favorite programs of the year! I love the two new spins in On My Own, and the 3R-2T-2R is really good. She makes those impossible spin positions look so effortless and elegant. You wouldn't have known it based on just her competitive programs, but her performance ability has really improved from last season. Maybe it's the music or the lyrics, but the way she skates On My Own, it just brings me nearly to tears, and her Lullaby for a Stormy Night is so sweet and charming (as a lullaby should be).

I'm afraid the YT video is gone already. :no:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachel looks very ready for Nationals. I loved both of Caroline's programs!

Sadly, Shawn Johnson looked out of shape. I don't know if that's because of the TV cameras/unflattering costumes.

I wonder if Todd & Joannie only skated one solo program each. I wanted to see both of them again. :cry:

I loved Jonathan Horton's "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" program (I really got to like the song because of Mike Weiss' skating to it in last season's SOI. :biggrin:

Nastia looked great, and it was a pleasure to watch the Hamm brothers, especially in the floor exercises. :)

feraina

Record Breaker
Yay! Let's see how many seconds this second video lasts. :p

I wish the copyright police had something better to do. The show has been broadcast on NBC already, what do they want?