Brian Boitano a coach or a lobbyist? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano a coach or a lobbyist?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I am not trying to knock the youngsters here but I have to say I agree with some things in the article. I know Michelle was young when she started skating at Nationals but when she won her first title, she did it with a beautiful programs and great jumps, she may not have won a gold medal at the Olympics but she had longevity and I haven't seen longevity since her or consistency.

I know Mao and Yuna have dominated the last 2-3 years and I am sure that is making for great ratings in Korea and Japan. I think what US skating needs also is a good rivalry(i'm thinking yamaguchi, harding, kerrigan in 91 and Michelle, Irina, Sasha, Michelle/Bobek, well you know what I mean) I would like to see skating become as popular as it was.

I also miss the 6.0 systems, I really don't see cop brining anything to skating. I hate watching a great program then be left to wonder why that skater is in third rather than first.

Just some thoughts;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CoP came in after skating was already losing its following in the US...

unfortunately what needs to happen is another good whack to a leg.

I also miss the 6.0 systems, I really don't see cop brining anything to skating. I hate watching a great program then be left to wonder why that skater is in third rather than first.

Just some thoughts;)
There is nothing wrong, imo, with the Technial Score of the CoP. The nitty gritty of it puts doubters to reconsider the outcome if they've jumped to conclusions. My only suggestion would be to rid itself of the plus GoEs or rid the scores in the PC.

The PC scores are way off the concept of what is considered how well all that tech was presented with the music, etc, except for a nod in the lower half of the headings for scoring.

If the skater did beautiful jumps, beautifuly spins, beautiful footwork, show it in the PC scores and forget about Skating Ability. That's already obvious.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If the skater did beautiful jumps, beautifuly spins, beautiful footwork, show it in the PC scores and forget about Skating Ability. That's already obvious.

I disagree. The techincal scores give points for footwork, spins, and jumps but they give no points for basic skating ability. You can have someone who is good at those things but has scratchy blades etc..

Basic Skating ability is EXTREMELY important and needs to be factored in somewhere in the scores.