Any updates on Alissa? | Golden Skate

Any updates on Alissa?

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Does anyone know if there are any updates on Alissa in preperation for her 2 competitions coming up? I have been thrilled :love: with how wonderful her year has been going and wish her the best of luck!!:clap:

What is the competition that she is comepting in before Worlds? Does anyone happen to know when it is? I keep thinking it is a certain competition but when I go to the info for it, she isnt on it.

I wonder if she is going to get a chance to work with Brian Boitano & Linda Leaver(sp?) I definately hope so. I also would love to know how to get ahold of him and thank him for all that he has done to help her out. :yes::bow::rock:

I was shocked to read in Sports Illustrated that Alissa had considered quitting and Brian told her that he wasnt going to let her til she won. He needs to stick with Alissa thru the Olympics at least. Im hoping to see some more gorgeous programs from her.

Kypma

Final Flight
What is the competition that she is comepting in before Worlds? Does anyone happen to know when it is? I keep thinking it is a certain competition but when I go to the info for it, she isnt on it.

As the U.S. Senior Ladies Collegiate Champion, she was invited to compete at the Winter Universiade in Harbin (which is taking place or has just concluded), but she withdrew after 4 Continents, and to my knowledge no reason has been given. She will only compete at Worlds since 4 Continents (where she placed lowest among the American Ladies, spurring on comments that she was gifted at Nationals and that Caroline should be at Worlds, but that's a whole other discussion).

Hope that helps,

-kypma

ETA: Way to go for beating me by a few seconds, Mathman ;)

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Thank you soo much for the info. I hadnt heard about her withdrawing. That was the competition that I kept checking to see if she was competing in. So I was right and wasnt loosing my mind....well that may be debated, but at least I wasnt loosing it in this instance.;):laugh:

Thanks again :):agree:

I kind of wish Alissa had done the Universiade. It would have given her something to take her mind off worrying about Worlds twenty-four seven for the next month.

Plus, going against Nakano and Korpi would have been a good tune-up for her.

Kypma

Final Flight
I kind of wish Alissa had done the Universiade. It would have given her something to take her mind off worrying about Worlds twenty-four seven for the next month.

Plus, going against Nakano and Korpi would have been a good tune-up for her.

I also kind of wish she could have done it, although also on the psychological (sp?) side, to get over the potential barrier of being the highest ranked American lady going into 4 Continents but finishing 3rd amond them there. It also could have helped her get ready for Worlds by competing even more -- wasn't that the goal this year? It seemed to work well in the Fall...

-kypma

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Maybe she is working on what she's adding to her programs to garner more points. I know it was mentioned that she is trying to up her point value. Hopefully she is using this time to also work with Brian & Linda.

Alissa's team has mentioned upping the content quite a few times. I do think that she cut back a little deliberately to get her technique solid and to raise her confidence. I tend to think that her best point-getting strategy is to do less but to do it squeaky clean.

The place where she can get more points in the LP is in her 3T-2T combination (she could also add an extra 2T to her 3A+2T, but that's small potatoes.)

I think the plan was for the 3T+2T to be a place-holder for a 3T+3T. She did attempt 3T+3T in her first competition this season, the U.S. Collegiate, but she underrotated the second jump. By repeating only the Lutz, she has left room under the Zayak cap for a 3T+3T if she wants to go for it. This would bring her program up to a respectable 6 triples.

The other possibility is to do 3F+2T and 3T instead of 3T+2T and solo 2A. A second flip (in combination) is taking a chance, though.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
She will only compete at Worlds since 4 Continents (where she placed lowest among the American Ladies, spurring on comments that she was gifted at Nationals and that Caroline should be at Worlds, but that's a whole other discussion).

Yes, it was Alissa - Rachael - Caroline at Nationals, then it was reversed, Caroline - Rachael - Alissa, at 4CC. As much as I like Alissa, I am reminded of an expression I read somewhere a few years ago.

"In figure skating, the correct result happens next week." :eek:hwell:

flying camel

Medalist
She should try to get more points in the other areas, such as foot work. It seems like her footwork could be more difficult. I just would like to see her concentrate on landing her 5 jumps. Why ask for trouble.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
She should try to get more points in the other areas, such as foot work. It seems like her footwork could be more difficult. I just would like to see her concentrate on landing her 5 jumps. Why ask for trouble.

I agree with you, I think Alissa has enough to worry about with 5 triples. The thing is, when skaters think upgrade, they think jumps. Spins, spirals, footwork simply aren't worth enough in comparison.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. FTR, she just says more "content" - she didn't specify what that content was although I must agree with FC- I hope it's not going to be more jumps :eek: If she can get 4 or 5 down, and raise levels in other areas of the program she'll be in decent shape.

lcd

Match Penalty
IMO she made the right decision to pass on competing at Universiade, and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect for that competition. Simply put, it seems that trips to Asia, with the time change etc can take their toll.

I think she was smart in planning her full year's strategy in that she opted to compete more often in various events EARLY in the season. Almost as a way of training for competition, literally, building competitions into her training.

At this stage of the season, though, I think it is more about making sure she has her mind and body healthy and ready to peak. It is now time to just plain 'old perform and COMPETE. Not train to compete. Hopefully she will feel inspired by the home crowds and deliver performances that will help her share that beautiful smile with the world.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think Alissa can handle the jumps and added content, her major problem is her nerves. Anxiety can do some pretty crazy things to a person mentally and physically and I give her alot of credit for hanging in there. Her worst enemy is herself and that is what she needs to work on for Worlds. I think she can do it though:clap: