Any reference librarians? | Golden Skate

Any reference librarians?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have been a student of history for 60 years. But sometimes, important and interesting takes on history I am interested in are in languages not English. Sometimes, I am lucky enough that certain books and articles are published in English. Sometimes not. I am going to go to my library and seek out a reference librarian when the library opens tomorrow and ask about an article in Japanese. There is an article by a famous Japanese film maker in a Magazine called "Movie Art Magazine, April 1966 I am interested in.
I am pretty sure this is a Japanese Magazine and I dont even know what it looks like or even if it is still in publication. If anyone has any ideas if the reference librarian cant help, I would appreciate your input.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I have been a student of history for 60 years. But sometimes, important and interesting takes on history I am interested in are in languages not English. Sometimes, I am lucky enough that certain books and articles are published in English. Sometimes not. I am going to go to my library and seek out a reference librarian when the library opens tomorrow and ask about an article in Japanese. There is an article by a famous Japanese film maker in a Magazine called "Movie Art Magazine, April 1966 I am interested in.
I am pretty sure this is a Japanese Magazine and I dont even know what it looks like or even if it is still in publication. If anyone has any ideas if the reference librarian cant help, I would appreciate your input.
I was a reference librarian for 30 years or so but "retired" early due to long commutes. Make sure to go to either the main branch of your public library's system, or, better still considering your question, the main library of your nearest university if they allow the general public to use their services -- some universities do, some don't. Make sure, without being pushy about it, that you're talking to a librarian, not a library technician or clerk. They have different levels of training and degrees. Good luck! If you can't get the help you need, come back here and I'll try to think of somewhere else, but I'm years out of the field and the American reference system is different from the Canadian system where I trained (my library science degree is from the University of Toronto) and worked.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Extra note about that Japanese magazine, which may or may not have been translated into English. Considering its age, it's probably on microfilm. How are you at reading microfilm? I had to delegate that task to someone else because the flicker of the screen made me seasick. I'm sure your library has a project to put all of its microfilmed periodicals online, but there isn't a library in the world that doesn't have a huge backlog of such projects. Be kind if that's the answer you get:pray::)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Trained as a reference librarian, never got to put it into practice much, but I love a good dig.

I'll do the first thing a reference librarian would do, and ask, can you give us more information? What is the name of the famous Japanese film maker, and the title of the article? Where did you see it cited? Full citation?

Just based on the info you've provided so far, could the magazine be Eiga Geijutsu? (If yes, the University of Washington in Seattle has this journal. They have an ASK US! button where you can chat with a librarian online, you don't even have to leave your house!)

Are you looking for a copy of the article in Japanese, or in translation?

Let us know how you make out! If it is a famous article, it's quite possible it is available in translation somewhere.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Trained as a reference librarian, never got to put it into practice much, but I love a good dig.

I'll do the first thing a reference librarian would do, and ask, can you give us more information? What is the name of the famous Japanese film maker, and the title of the article? Where did you see it cited? Full citation?

Just based on the info you've provided so far, could the magazine be Eiga Geijutsu? (If yes, the University of Washington in Seattle has this journal. They have an ASK US! button where you can chat with a librarian online, you don't even have to leave your house!)

Are you looking for a copy of the article in Japanese, or in translation?

Let us know how you make out! If it is a famous article, it's quite possible it is available in translation somewhere.
Thank you! The information is waaaayyyyy too political for the forum and I dont need to be banned again right now, but the author is famed Japanese movie maker Ishiro Honda. I need a translation. I will PM you the particulars.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was a reference librarian for 30 years or so but "retired" early due to long commutes. Make sure to go to either the main branch of your public library's system, or, better still considering your question, the main library of your nearest university if they allow the general public to use their services -- some universities do, some don't. Make sure, without being pushy about it, that you're talking to a librarian, not a library technician or clerk. They have different levels of training and degrees. Good luck! If you can't get the help you need, come back here and I'll try to think of somewhere else, but I'm years out of the field and the American reference system is different from the Canadian system where I trained (my library science degree is from the University of Toronto) and worked.
Thanks! See PM

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just wanted to thank those that helped me! We have some pretty amazing people on this forum.... I am learning so much due to their leads.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
When you get back from your bike trip, let us know how the search for the elusive information is going :cool:
You bet! The state of Emergency is over, I will about finish my house painting in a few days, and on Next Friday I will be off to Stead NV to camp out under the stars in the high desert for 9 days...:cool: Sometimes, I find ways due to peoples' here help to get the info through a back door. If nothing else, we have a Japanese University here that may have some ideas. Anyway, I have four good books on order with lots of answers and a kind soul here gave me a good book with many answers of what I was looking for. One of the blessings of the web is to be able to buy good condition used books for almost next to nothing. $12