Sasha. Comeback. Believe it. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha. Comeback. Believe it.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ah, now I save the very best for last..

Thank you, Sasha, thank you, this is what I've been waiting & hoping for, having checked all the message boards & ESPN, et al, to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me, lol.:agree: To have it verified, to have it verified, yes!!!!!!!

Since the announcement, I've watched your beautiful "Moonlight Sonata" performance, but more than all else I've been listening to & enjoying the following, as it fits what I'm feeling inside perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJGESRc3XfY :love:

i love to skate

Medalist
Questions: Will she do the GP (besides SA)? If she has to pull out of Nats (for whatever reason), will she petition for a spot? Will she continue into the 2014 cycle?

Would she be able to do another GP? I think she might only be able to attend SA because she isn't a seeded skater.

pista04

On the Ice
Anyone know if she entirely isn't working with John Nicks? And if so, if one of them chose not to?

I loved their duo. They made me smile every time. He seemed so supportive.

Oh, so cool. I feel a lot like Particle Man, as usual. As much as she's touted as a show skater, I really feel Sasha shows her true colors in competition. So welcome home, Sasha! :clap:

I will make my husband's life a living hell unless he takes me to SA. :biggrin:

i love to skate

Medalist
Who wouldn't want her? But Sasha might not want to do more than one gp, or get SA and SC back-to-back.

It's not about who wants her or not. She hasn't competed in over three years and therefore isn't a seeded skater. The seeded skaters are the one's who receive the assignments. I'm not sure it would be possible for her to do more than Skate America.

greengal5874

Rinkside
According to what others have posted in other forums,(ISU rules) IF the home country extends an invite, an unseeded skater can be named to a Grand Prix. So, Sasha could be in 2 GP events!
I am very excited- I really enjoy her skating. Hopefully, the Kween will return, :love:also, and I will be excited for US ladies skating again.:rock:

i love to skate

Medalist
According to what others have posted in other forums,(ISU rules) IF the home country extends an invite, an unseeded skater can be named to a Grand Prix. So, Sasha could be in 2 GP events!
I am very excited- I really enjoy her skating. Hopefully, the Kween will return, :love:also, and I will be excited for US ladies skating again.:rock:

Thanks for the info!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With Arutunian as her coach, nothing will be done about her horrendous flutz (remember Mao?), and under the current CoP rules, that is definitely going to be a stumbling block for Sasha.

She's been double-footing and falling on 3T and 3S at SOI and CSOI. I'm not convinced that after 8 months of practice, Sasha will have all her jumps back.

I will believe Sasha is coming back when it actually happens.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I wish Sasha much luck. Although I cheerfully admitting that my heart still belongs to the Kween, if Michelle choses to go on with her grad school/international diplomay/public service career, it will be nice to see Sasha skate again. I truly hope she is over the competition nerves and flutzes - when she was on, she was lovely to behold.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I'm really delighted to hear this!

However, I wonder if a) Sasha will be selected for the Olys b) If she is, how will she fare against the other skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who wouldn't want her? But Sasha might not want to do more than one gp, or get SA and SC back-to-back.

According the Tribune (Hersh) article she said she would "like to do a second [GP]," pointing out that "the more competitive practice [she gets], the better."

Linked on FSU (but I don't think here)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olympics/chi-sasha-cohen-skate-america,0,2761023.story

Canada would be best for her, as it would mean she wouldn't have to travel outside of North America for the season (assuming she misses the GPF). It would also give her more time to prepare, as SA and SC are the last 2 GP events this season.

With Arutunian as her coach, nothing will be done about her horrendous flutz (remember Mao?), and under the current CoP rules, that is definitely going to be a stumbling block for Sasha.

She's been double-footing and falling on 3T and 3S at SOI and CSOI. I'm not convinced that after 8 months of practice, Sasha will have all her jumps back.

I will believe Sasha is coming back when it actually happens.

I agree with the last point, definitely. But I'll be one to say I don't think the jumps in the show are a good indication of how she would actually do in a competitive setting. Completely different set of nerves/pressure is in play.

The factor for her is staying healthy- I can't stress that point enough. If there's one thing that's been hampering her for her competitive career, it's injury and illness. Maybe she knows this in the back of her mind, but doesn't want to have any "what'if" doubts so she's going for it anyway. Things can be going super well and one day you have a bad fall in practice or something and that's it. Of course, that can happen to anyone but as Chuck said, until she actually shows up at a competition, this is all just speculation.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Hurray for Sasha!

I think the US title is definitely within reach (if Alissa Czisny can win with a 3-triple LP, it's possible) but I think the Olympic podium would probably be out of reach. Yu-Na and Mao will probably crush her, and Joannie seems to be a judges' favourite right now.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I like the idea of having Sasha back in competitive skating. I hope she makes it to Vancouver; even with the blah music choices, she's entertaining and brings something different to the ice. I doubt she could medal at Olys, but then who knows what might happen with the pressure on. I'm sure Joannie, Yu-Na and Mao will be under enermous pressure, and it's hard to know how this might affect them.

Maybe Sasha actually come up with an interesting music choice for once - she's had three years to think up something. Does anyone have any fun ideas?

antmanb

Record Breaker
SC: Hey, Michelle, you’re not actually serious about Vancouver, are you?

MK: Nah. You?

SC: Yeah, right :rofl:

MK: OK, so here’s the plan. You announce that you are going to do Skate America. Then the week before you sprain your ankle practicing your quad Sal. We’ve got USFS by the short hairs. After spending a fortune promoting SASHA AT STATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!, now they have to give everybody their money back.

SC: I get it, so then – for the right price -- MICHELLE KWAN!!!!!!!!! jumps in and saves the event.

MK: It’s foolproof. I’ll do a couple of spirals and a double Axel – make that a double toe – and graciously accept the bronze medal behind Yu-na and Rachael. No one will blame me, because, after all, I only had four days to get ready.

SC: Sounds good to me. When you go to Vancouver as a commentator for NBC, say hi to ZHENYA!!!!!!!!!! for me.

(Just kidding, everyone. :p )

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was great MM!

Ant

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I don't think Mao's assured to crush anyone with how she's been skating. Yun-a, yeah obviously. Joannie comes and goes, who knows how she'll do next season.

For music choices, I expect one of Sasha's programs to be Moonlight Sonata. I still can't decide whether it will be her SP or LP. It is dramatic, and she usually has dramatic pieces for her LP. But I'm not sure whether she would want it to be her big "comeback" LP or not. It would have to be a really good edit of the music... better than the version in SoI.

I guess it's possible she would do Moonlight for an SP, and shake things up and do something more upbeat for an LP this time around. Whatever the programs are, I would guess that they would be really common music choices, but with really perfect edits and exquisite choreography. That's her usual modus operandi. Taking the boring old standards and making them breathtaking and perfect. (Perfect other than mistakes obviously.)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Maybe Sasha actually come up with an interesting music choice for once - she's had three years to think up something. Does anyone have any fun ideas?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - she should skate to the Matrix and kick some ***! No cheesey warhorses and enough with the pwetty ice pwincess crap!

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
lol that was funny:laugh:
MK commenting for Nbc and Plushy for Rusian Tv (i hope not), that would be the comeback of olympics!

Matrix?Wouldnt she have to ask Brian for that?;)