Any Sasha updates? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

Good! My main talent in life is snarky amusement! But...

This isn't really fair... Spun is a great asset to this board and tries very hard to raise up the level of conversation between posters - espcially us Kwan / Sasha ubers who sometimes forget its not 2004 any longer... This is very true for me... I've learned over the years that we can disagree without being disagreeable and mainly from Spun and Dee... both work very hard to keep it nice & easy (while keeping me in line with my sheer uberness...)

Go back. Read her posts and find common ground... This board's tone has really improved over the past two / three years and Spun has contributed to this renewed spirit of dialogue vs. debate... (Moi? Not so much... But I continue to work on it... ):):)
:eek: (blushing furiously) Aw... gee, thanks!!

Yup, we're just a bunch of lions and lambs peacefully sleeping. :rofl:

Kwanford - :rock:

fairly4

Medalist
thank you spun silver,
in your opinion you stated one of the posters preached, but you didn't name the poster. i wanted you to name the poster who preached. most of you thought the same thing (preach) but no one mentioned which poster you thought preached.

anyway,
one of you mention what would happen in sasha happens to skate clean;
IF SHE Skates Like she did at the 2005 Marshals fan vote (the one michelle one, not the one sasha won in 2006) if sasha skates two perfect programs, she has my vote , but only if SHE Skates like she did at the2005 Marshall. It proves she can do it . she just has to skate like that in competition.

fairly4

Medalist
in other words, Sasha is going to have to skate that perfect all the time with more than 3 jumps, no wobbling, no scratching landing, no wrong edge takeoff, no ur ,no nothing, just perfect. she has to skate like she wants to fight for it, no backing down.
she has to skate perfect to get my vote all season, not just once, she has to prove to me she deserves my vote with all the cheating since 1999 for her from the judges.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
in other words, Sasha is going to have to skate that perfect all the time with more than 3 jumps, no wobbling, no scratching landing, no wrong edge takeoff, no ur ,no nothing, just perfect. she has to skate like she wants to fight for it, no backing down.
she has to skate perfect to get my vote all season, not just once, she has to prove to me she deserves my vote with all the cheating since 1999 for her from the judges.

Sasha will skate within COP rules like every other skater and she will be judged accordingly like everyone else. It is more common to see a program with a few mistakes than without now days, never mind skating a perfect program. Why don't you wait until Sasha competes before you count her out, she may surprise you.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which skater has ever done what you expect from Sasha????

Wicked

Final Flight
Whoever wins the OGM will probably have a few mistakes. I don't worry about Sasha's ability. I worry about her mindset. She's gotta make her mistakes, not let them rattle her, and go on with the program. I hope she can do it.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I would love to see someone no one expected win the gold......just like Sarah and Shizuka did.....not many people expected them to win the gold. That's what is great about sports in general. You can do great all year and then mess up when the big one comes. Or you can suck all year and bring it when the big one comes!! So instead of bashing each other...let's just wait and see what happens. I think we are in for many surprises this season!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Whoever wins the OGM will probably have a few mistakes. I don't worry about Sasha's ability. I worry about her mindset. She's gotta make her mistakes, not let them rattle her, and go on with the program. I hope she can do it.

That's what she did in Torino- after she fell those two times, she didn't let it sink her.

The biggest concern Sasha's fans should have is her ability to stay healthy and get in competitive shape. The nerves and mistakes come second.

I would love to see someone no one expected win the gold......just like Sarah and Shizuka did.....not many people expected them to win the gold. That's what is great about sports in general. You can do great all year and then mess up when the big one comes. Or you can suck all year and bring it when the big one comes!! So instead of bashing each other...let's just wait and see what happens. I think we are in for many surprises this season!!

Couldn't agree more. let's hope. In 2005, it was Slute winning everything. Now, it's Yuna Kim winning everything. Will history repeat itself, or will she continue the domination stretch?

To me, anyone other than Kim or Asada winning the OGM would be anywhere from a mild surprise to pure shock (of course, depending on which skater it is)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think that anyone who is concerned about Sasha has to be a fan. I wish everyone would get over that notion. It gets very annoying when someone says....What the Sasha fans need to do .....blah blah, blah. I have asked many times here ....what constitutes being a fan or being labeled as a fan. I think the closest I came to being a fan of someone was Alexei. I joined a couple of boards that were Alexei discussion boards, saw or bought every competition he skated, etc. I have done none of that with other skaters.

I respect Sasha a great deal over the esquisite skating I think she skates. I would love to see her do well at the Olympics, no more or no less than that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think that anyone who is concerned about Sasha has to be a fan.

Oh no, I don't mean that at all. My statement is a general one. I don't want it to be taken the wrong way, especially since I share the same questions you do about fandom (rewind to a few years ago). I mean, I share concern over many skaters I don't consider myself to be a fan of.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't think that anyone who is concerned about Sasha has to be a fan. I wish everyone would get over that notion. It gets very annoying when someone says....What the Sasha fans need to do .....blah blah, blah. I have asked many times here ....what constitutes being a fan or being labeled as a fan. I think the closest I came to being a fan of someone was Alexei. I joined a couple of boards that were Alexei discussion boards, saw or bought every competition he skated, etc. I have done none of that with other skaters.

I respect Sasha a great deal over the esquisite skating I think she skates. I would love to see her do well at the Olympics, no more or no less than that.

Come on Dee we all know you went out and bought an " I <3 Sasha" duvet cover and mug and lampshade and...:rofl: :rofl:

Ant (sorry it must be silly season for me!)

By the way i do agree with you that some posters use "Sasha Fan" as if it's a swear word. A little like "Kwaniac" until of course that was re-appropriated and it became ok again!

fairly4

Medalist
demarinis5

yes, sasha has to skate perfect, why not,
Michelle had to and she made other skaters skate better,
i don't see sasha skating any different,
by the way that is what is wrong with the cop--it is suppose to reward great skates with no mistakes,
what happened it reward bad skates, with big names. just like when they used "figures". they cheat, always has always will.
yes, sasha should skate perfect as well as the other skaters, otherwise it looks bad and sloppy , and then reward just one thing "not the whole program:
your right sasha surprised me at marshalls in 2005 by skating perfect.
she did it than, she can do it again.

antmanb

Record Breaker
demarinis5

yes, sasha has to skate perfect, why not,
Michelle had to and she made other skaters skate better,
i don't see sasha skating any different,

What i don't understand at all is why you keep bringing Michelle into this :scratch: Wasn't Michelle's last competition worlds 2005? Since Michelle has said that she will not compete this season what exactly does how Michelle did or didn't skate like 4 - 11 years have any bearing on on how Sasha might or might have to skate in a few months time?

Ant

Wicked

Final Flight
Confidence vs. a Lack?

That's what she did in Torino- after she fell those two times, she didn't let it sink her.

The biggest concern Sasha's fans should have is her ability to stay healthy and get in competitive shape. The nerves and mistakes come second.

I thought Sasha came out looking tentative and nervous for that free skate and it showed in her skating. I would really love to see her skate with total confidence, like she did with her Dark Eyes SP. You just knew by the look on her face when she skated out that she was going to bring it.

fairly4

Medalist
thank you for asking

why michelle has to be brought up.
1) sasha skated when michelle skated, sasha got up quick despite her glaring mistakes, shaky landings. sasha got the scores and ordinals despite not skating clean and perfect. however --michelle had to skated clean and perfect.
lets see michelle shaky landings cost her OGM not even a fall cost her another OGM.
sasha two falls and ur she got and olym silver,
michelles little mistake cost her a 2005 bronze medal, despite caroline kosnter two-footing her jumps (outside of the great triple-triple)she had no points deducted on her jumps. michelle had -1-2 ,plus the minus 3 for the fall.
sasha shaky landings falls, what was her deductions -1, the fall -3.
michelle fell in the short 2000 she wound up third--actually smart placement-however sasha fell in the long --she wound up 2nd despite shaky landing and ur's.
2006 world -sasha bombed her program two footed almost every jump, she fell she still got a medal. 2002 sasha made mistakes the long she got 3rd inthe free skate.
michelle little mistake automaticallyput her 3rd a fall put her fourth.
not to mention the usfsa , skating community every year brought out sasha injuries and stated imagined what could happen if she was healthy.
what about michelle injuries only 2 (1998-they didn'tbelieve and 2006) they made sure we knew but was that used as an excuse for her not skating or skating bad no-that was used as an excuse as to why she shouldn't skate.
well than 2000, 2001, 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 sasha should have skated because every year she had an injury,back ache,cold.
not to mention did the usfsa bring out the excuse of 2002 olympicmedal for michelle she had a right to try for the 2006 olympics-no they didn't say one word like sasha has a bye because of the medal.
michelle was never the it kid. nicole -tara-sasha-sarah.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
michelle was never the it kid. nicole -tara-sasha-sarah.

Nicole certainly wasn't the USFSA's "IT" kid, far from it if you ask me. A reigning National gold, a reigning World bronze, and a 3rd place in the '96 Nationals SP compared to Lipinski's 5th place SP couldn't even persuade the USFSA to grant her a medical bye to 1996 Worlds. They chose a very inexperienced Tara Lipinski over her.

Michelle :love: was the It Kid of United States figure skating for more than a decade, and well deserved. :yes:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

I agree with this, espcially the bold statement... It was almost anti-climatic during the Michelle / Irina reign of terror at Worlds because you knew one of them would win the title... the Olympics present a whole new ball game and I can't wait to see who wins because like I've said before, I'd be more shocked if Mao or Yuna won rather than someone else like Miki or Joannie... At least I won't have that nervous tick this season because I like all the skaters vs. being an uber fan of anybody on the ice...

Dee - If you call into to work because your favorite doesn't win the OGM, then you are a fan... otherwise you just dig the costumes!:laugh::laugh:

And I'm with you - I would love to see Sasha do well at the Olympics... if for no other reason than to watch the board EXPLODE That would be so awesome!!!

Go, Sasha

I've never had any problem supporting both Michelle and Sasha. I admittedly admire Michelle the most and have rooted for her above anyone else, but Sasha was always another of my favorites. I wouldn't have begrudged her winning over Michelle if she'd given a better performance at that event.

From the moment Sasha showed up on the Senior circuit, she was memorable. Her style never seemed embryonic or immature: her extensions and carriage were gorgeous from the very start. Yeah, she rarely skated two clean routines, but she managed to climb to the top two in Worlds and Olympics despite that--so she wasn't exactly a failure. Currently there are few eligible skaters with her command and artistry, and as far as i can tell, no Americans. (I have hopes for the growth of several of our skaters, but not by early 2010.) So if she returns and has retained her strength and finesse, we'll be lucky to have her. I for one will happily cheer her on.