Jenny's Report Card | Golden Skate

Jenny's Report Card

life684

Final Flight
She is very diplomatic in this article compared to others. But I couldn't help noticing the factual error.

Picking up exactly where he left off before his retirement four years ago, Plushenko currently holds the highest total score of any man this season.

When in actual fact it is Oda who has the highest total scored at cup of France, scoring 242.53 against Plushy's 240.65

prettykeys

Medalist
Good overview.

Jenny Kirk said:
For Ando, right now it’s all about skating consistently and staying focused. With her teammate, Mao Asada, struggling this season, an Olympic silver medal isn’t out of Ando’s grasp.
Hmm, only a silver?? *shifts nervously*

I'm just curious about one thing. What does it mean to "peak too early"? Is it hard for skaters to maintain the physical conditioning or mental drive to stay at the top for too long? Is it a strategic thing where you reveal your whole program and its strengths too early, thereby giving rivals the time to target you without adding enough later?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Good overview.

I'm just curious about one thing. What does it mean to "peak too early"? Is it hard for skaters to maintain the physical conditioning or mental drive to stay at the top for too long? Is it a strategic thing where you reveal your whole program and its strengths too early, thereby giving rivals the time to target you without adding enough later?

Yeah. And she said Ando has a problem with handling big competitions. But Suzuki is this great competitor. I like Suzuki and all but she hardly put up these great scores at Four Continents-the biggest competition she's been.

I actually feel that Ando is very good at the biggest competitions. She's the only top lady who is ever managed to go clean at a Worlds-and did so twice. If I'm Kim, I'm more scared of Ando than a lot of the others.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yeah. And she said Ando has a problem with handling big competitions. But Suzuki is this great competitor. I like Suzuki and all but she hardly put up these great scores at Four Continents-the biggest competition she's been.

I actually feel that Ando is very good at the biggest competitions. She's the only top lady who is ever managed to go clean at a Worlds-and did so twice. If I'm Kim, I'm more scared of Ando than a lot of the others.

I agree. suzuki has had difficulty at nationals as well whereas miki is pretty strong at big competitions. it seems more of the matter of how she feels inside.

krenseby

Final Flight
I agree. suzuki has had difficulty at nationals as well whereas miki is pretty strong at big competitions. it seems more of the matter of how she feels inside.

Miki's performances at big competitions vary. Hasn't she had quite a few meltdowns over the course of her career?

janetfan

Match Penalty

Good question. I was going to answer "physical" but the mental aspect can be equally important.

Last season Jeremy Abbott had a good start and did very well in GP's and then followed up by winning US Natls.

In March he was one of the favorites for a World medal. But Jeremy did not skate very well and later commented that his legs were dead, that he had no lift in his jumps. A few weeks later he also had a subpar outing at the WTT.

He said he felt burntout from the wear and tear of a long season. It could be said that Jeremy peaked, physically atleast, too early last season.
I am not sure about his mental state, but it is possible his mental drive was effected as well.

Jenny noted a skating season is not a sprint. Athletes, especially in an Olympic year want to be in prime physical condition this February.

One of Orser's jobs handling Yuna goes beyond observing her and trying to spot any flaws or bad habits that might start to develope. He also has to be able to pace her training so she "peaks" the weeks she is competing - but always with a longterm eye on Vancouver. If he senses she is looking fatigued he will cut back her training, or change it up. His goal this season is to have Yuna like a fine tuned engine with all pistons firing come February.

The mental aspect can be just as important. It goes beyond the troubles Mao might appear to be having right now. Practicing the same elemnts over and over can get tedious. It can get boring which can lead to ineffective practices and result in bad performances at events,

Orser credits Wilson for his spontanous personality and constant good humor as being very helpful to his skaters at the Cricket Club. Wilson plays the clown to Orser's drill seargeant which helps to create an ideal practice atmosphere.

Being mentally stale or fatigued is different than suffering a loss of confidence, although the two could be related. Both can produce less than desired results for any skater or athlete.

I am sure others can offer more insight into this very important aspect of getting a skater ready for competition, particularly the importance of of peaking this February.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Miki's performances at big competitions vary. Hasn't she had quite a few meltdowns over the course of her career?

Yes, she did. But it just did not look like it was because of big competitions. But something else going on such as injury, quad attempt, burnout, bad communication with coach etc etc. It varies. She is not like Mao who does the best at Japan Open etc when pressures are all off and also good at competitions in Japan.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by krenseby

Yes but she's never had a meltdown at Worlds. She's given several great performances there. 2004-she landed 7 triples, I believe. (2005 I think wasn't great but was okay sixth isn't bad.) 2007-self explanatory. 2008-out with injury 2009 her best performance of the year.

She did have a meltdown at the Olympics but she was having issues with her jumps all season long-so there was clearly something else going on.

But Miki normally shows up very strong for competitions like worlds. She's clearly a late season skater.

I wrote Miki off as inconsistent too. But my opinion of her changed after 2009 Worlds. That is a girl who knows how to show up for the big competitions. It reminds me a bit of Yagudin-who for several seasons straight would lose to Plushenko throughout the season-only to win Worlds. Miki isn't as good as Yagudin, but the point I'm making is at the really important competitons-worlds. Miki normally shows up strong.

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Good overview.

I agree. I wouldn't bet on Yu-Na winning gold. I'd love her to and she is the archi-favorite, but when is the last time the favourite won gold and the ladies' event?
In the ladies' event any medla contender is a gold medal contender.

prettykeys

Medalist
I agree. I wouldn't bet on Yu-Na winning gold. I'd love her to and she is the arch-favorite, but when is the last time the favourite won gold and the ladies' event?

In the ladies' event any medal contender is a gold medal contender.

*nod* I believe Miki looks to have the best chance of upsetting YuNa so far, and I wouldn't put Gold out of her reach at all. I love YuNa too, but that's just how Figure Skating is.

cornell08

Final Flight
I agree. I wouldn't bet on Yu-Na winning gold. I'd love her to and she is the archi-favorite, but when is the last time the favourite won gold and the ladies' event?
In the ladies' event any medla contender is a gold medal contender.

I think this year is more like mens event 2006 Torino.

ae9177

On the Ice
I think this year is more like mens event 2006 Torino.

that's also how I feel, Kim is like the female Plushy now, none of the other ladies are even close. if she doesn't have a complete meltdown, she'll be invincible in Vancouver.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Good overview.

no, as a skater there is a period every year where everything usually comes together, the stamina, the jumps, the comfort level with the program. Some skaters work their butt off all summer and so enter the GP in top shape can't sustain that through March. We saw that with Jeremey Abbott last year. With others it is the other way around. Ideally you want to peak at Nationals/Olympics/worlds

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks for your comments, janetfan and Tinymavy. It's definitely a curious thing how some skaters are said to be the early-season-peakers and others are late-season bloomers.

Tangentially related is how I actually don't want YuNa to have a perfect or near-perfect performance just yet. This is related to the idea of being "mentally stale" that janetfan raised. I realize that Orser and Wilson are doing their best to keep YuNa sharp and interested on improving, but there are so many months to go until February.

Practice can make perfect, or practice can make boring. I'm kind of the latter type. *sheepish* And I know there are lots of people out there like me--once we hit a certain level of proficiency or satisfaction (or sometimes *gasp* perfection), we need something else to interest or motivate us. I'm glad that YuNa seems to be unlike me in that--and some other--regards, but I can't be sure.