Is it really farfetched to say Flatt has a chance to medal in Vancouver? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is it really farfetched to say Flatt has a chance to medal in Vancouver?

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Is it really farfetched to say Flatt has a chance to medal in Vancouver?

Although anything is possible at the Olympics as we have seen in the past, Flatt's first obstacle is to make the U.S. team.

With the talented ladies throughout the world, I would be happy with a U.S. lady making top five at the Olympics.

Dizzy

silverlake22

Record Breaker
But it was the same thing in 2005 (although her strong finishes at SA and SC got her some media attention). Then it was all downhill from there. Wouldn't be shocked to see the old Alyssa show up again at this pressure-filled Nats, ESPECIALLY since she's defending champ. If she's not on she could take herself right out of the running. Same with Zhang, Wagner even.

I suppose you a right, I just feel like Alissa's gotten better about controlling her nerves since then. But being defending champ is a lot of pressure, and being defending champ during an olympic year is even more pressure, and being at the olympics is the most pressure of all. I don't know if she can keep it together but it would be nice to see her do it. Even if she can just make it through Nats and (fairly) go the Olympics, I wouldn't be that sad if she let her nerves get to her there b/c at least then she'd have made it to the olympics, her dream.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Mirai skated two clean programs I think she would win. Her spins, spirals and ice coverage is better than Rachael. I am really not that wild about the choreo for her LP. I don't mind the music so much, but don't think Lori did her best work on that program.

I would agree with you, but the thing is that currently Mirai only has 5 triples in her LP, and Rachael has 7. If she brings back her 2a-3t then that gets her to 6, but it might not be worth it if she can't rotate it. If Mirai even gets one triple UR and leaves out the 2a-3t, then she's down to 4, and even with her better PCS (which aren't even as high as they should be) Rachael will probably be ahead if she's clean

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I do believe Rachel has a chance to medal at the Olympics... The Olympics are strange and have a history of producing some surprising results... None, including Yuna, really are "unbeatable" like Irina was "unbeatable" in 2006. You just never know how the chips will fall and like RD points out: the GP series doesn't really tell you much, it just gives the fans something to discuss and snark about. From where I sit - I see skaters who might've peaked too soon and are now on "the other side," skaters who've struggled but have the potential to come back really really strong and the Rachels and MiRaisof the field who've been overlooked but continue to plug away and hopefully get stronger.

But again, for Rachel the challenge isn't going to be about earning a medal, regardless of color at the Games, her challenge is skating her best at Nationals and earning a spot onto the team. Two very talented US ladies are not making the trip and Rachel and her fans better focus on that reality and train and pray to the skate gods that she isn't one of them - because the field is tight.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But again, for Rachel the challenge isn't going to be about earning a medal, regardless of color at the Games, her challenge is skating her best at Nationals and earning a spot onto the team. Two very talented US ladies are not making the trip and Rachel and her fans better focus on that reality and train and pray to the skate gods that she isn't one of them - because the field is tight.

I have to agree, actually.

(except that I don't think Rachel's fans need any training :p ;) )

Two?
Et tu, Brute?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A skater who has done well this season with the pressure, Alissa. That's right Alissa. But honestly, as national champ right before an Olympic year, she's holding up well. No meltdowns. She only fell once at COR and twice at SC, but out of fairness to her, SC was a splatfest. Her SP has been great both times this season. She's kinda flying under the radar, because her LP scores are never that strong, but she is keeping it together and keeping the falls to a minimun.

Alissa may have kept the falls to a minimum (if you consider 1-2 falls per competition a minimum), but she has racked up 3 URs in every event this season. She can never be truly competitive with the top skaters as long as she can't rotate her jumps.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Two?
Et tu, Brute?

Mais, oui!!You and Dee of course!!!

Actually, unlike some I believe that the Mairai, Rachel, Ashley, Caroline and Alissa are the top five US skaters...in that order and that Ashley and Caroline won't make the trip. And that's too bad.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A skater who has done well this season with the pressure, Alissa. That's right Alissa. But honestly, as national champ right before an Olympic year, she's holding up well. No meltdowns. She only fell once at COR and twice at SC, but out of fairness to her, SC was a splatfest. Her SP has been great both times this season. She's kinda flying under the radar, because her LP scores are never that strong, but she is keeping it together and keeping the falls to a minimun.

It's because of Alissa's inability to perform well under pressure that the US has only two spots for Olympics and Worlds this year.

To me, there is something about Mirai that says "peaking at the right time." She is on the upswing while others are hanging on to what they got.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
It's because of Alissa's inability to perform well under pressure that the US has only two spots for Olympics and Worlds this year.

I'm with you on that Chuck...I'm sick of hearing / reading about one or two falls being ok and that its great to keep them to a miminum...its so..."yah! you got all Cs!!! That's awesome!" Be great or stay home. That's my motto this season.

Mais, oui!!You and Dee of course!!!

Actually, unlike some I believe that the Mairai, Rachel, Ashley, Caroline and Alissa are the top five US skaters...in that order and that Ashley and Caroline won't make the trip. And that's too bad.
Kwanford, This is a quiz:
1. How many do you think are going?
2. Can you think of ANOTHER rather talented skater who belongs on this list, who might be just a little bit familiar to you and your diva?

To me, there is something about Mirai that says "peaking at the right time." She is on the upswing while others are hanging on to what they got.
I really hope you're right. Unfortunately I'm dubious about her nerves... for THIS Olympics. But I'd love to see her there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Frankly I don't think Nagasu will be any more of a risk to send than Wagner or Czisny...

In fact, in terms of pressure handling I'd have Wagner and Czisny on the bottom of the list (with all due respect) as far as the top 5 skaters go.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I doubt Sasha will show. And plus, if 1 or 2 falls is too much to make Alissa, who does flip and lutz, competitive, then Sasha with 1 or 2 falls doing a program consisting only of toes, sals, loops, and double axels will surely fall short of the mark.

Plus, her spirals won't even stand out that much as those of Alissa, Mirai, and Caroline are all equally good, at least I think so. Alissa is probably a better spinner than Sasha and Sasha's bielman position is awful compared to Mirai's and Caroline's contortionist pearl spin into a bielman shenanigan.

So basically, the only edge Sasha has is her success from 4+ years ago, not very convincing

inside edge

On the Ice
i doubt sasha will show. And plus, if 1 or 2 falls is too much to make alissa, who does flip and lutz, competitive, then sasha with 1 or 2 falls doing a program consisting only of toes, sals, loops, and double axels will surely fall short of the mark.

Plus, her spirals won't even stand out that much as those of alissa, mirai, and caroline are all equally good, at least i think so. Alissa is probably a better spinner than sasha and sasha's bielman position is awful compared to mirai's and caroline's contortionist pearl spin into a bielman shenanigan.

So basically, the only edge sasha has is her success from 4+ years ago, not very convincing

ita

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So if Mirai and Alissa (both of whom have big UR problems) go to Worlds 2010, we could be down to one spot for Worlds 2011.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ glad to hear it!

I said this before, but if Sasha is below 3rd in the short she will withdrawal because she won't be able to handle not winning a medal :laugh: (only joking, but it wouldn't surprise me).

I agree with whoever said Mirai was better at dealing with pressure than Alissa and Ashley. Mirai rarely falls, and at nationals last year when she REALLY did not want to do her LP, what did she do? Go out there and land every jump. And at SC when she got a 56 for her short program that deserved a 60 or more, what did she do in the long? Go out there, attack it, land all her triples, and not get any of the triples downgraded. Plus she seemed pretty motivated to keep working hard and not get her combinations DG after Laura Lepisto unfairly won the bronze over her after landing 2 clean triples.

The other thing is, I think Frank and Mirai have some plan up their sleve. Frank always seems very happy with Mirai even when she doesn't skate her best, I'm wondering if Mirai is working on some hard jumps or combinations or something to use at nationals to give her an edge. Just something I noticed. Either that or Frank has big plans for her to become the next big thing after this Olympics when many of the current big names will have retired

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Kwanford, This is a quiz:
1. How many do you think are going?
2. Can you think of ANOTHER rather talented skater who belongs on this list, who might be just a little bit familiar to you and your diva?

I think Rachel and MiRai are going with Ashley as alternate - leaving Alissa and Caroline at home on the couch. Unless Sasha shows up with a competitive skate and her star quality. But until I see her on practice ice, I am not convinced that Sasha will compete. Having said that - if she does show and she's in competiton mode, I'd be shocked if she wasn't sent.

Who do you see going?

I think Rachel and MiRai are going with Ashley as alternate - leaving Alissa and Caroline at home on the couch. Unless Sasha shows up with a competitive skate and her star quality. But until I see her on practice ice, I am not convinced that Sasha will compete. Having said that - if she does show and she's in competiton mode, I'd be shocked if she wasn't sent.

Who do you see going?

So sorry, I forgot about the alternate! :eek:

I can't begin to foresee what's going to happen at Nationals (or even who will make it there) and thus who will go to Vancouver. I hope it will be Sasha and Mirai or Sasha and Ashley. But then if we're counting the alternate spot all three can go. :biggrin: