Tanith Belbin = America's Sweetheart | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Tanith Belbin = America's Sweetheart

I believe Victor did alot for Oksana and I remember hearing how he helped her with a lot of finanacial support.

It would be nice to hear more about this story from any who remember it and if anybody has the clip from the Olympic broadcast I wish they would post it.

The profile ended with something like," you're a good man Victor Petrenko,"
and the injured skater said Victor was her "hero for life."

As I recall, the profile didn't end with that quote about his being a good man. The entire skating coverage, when they were recapping, ended with that quote. In a context of competition and glory and the hope of cash rewards, this story stood out as an example of what "the best and brightest" really can mean.

I didn't know about the hospital in the Ukraine mentioned above by KKonas, but that surprises me less knowing the other story about Petrenko. And, yes, he did a lot for Oksana. He got his coach Galina S., later his mother-in-law, to sponsor her and take her in. I believe his reasoning was, "How much can one little girl cost?" Later, when she went a bit wild, I think she broke away from them rather abruptly, but I never heard him say a bad word against her.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I remember that story about Viktor. It was shown right before his SP in the 1994 Olympics broadcast by CBS. I remember the injured skater was a cute girl with short dark hair (like Dorothy Hamill). The following clip is of Viktor's SP, but if you listen closely, Verne Lundquist mentions Katie watching from Illinois. The piece would have been right before this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDFsgBppuII