Domnina and Shabalin On the comeback trail | Golden Skate

Domnina and Shabalin On the comeback trail

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin are the reigning World Champions in Ice Dance, however, they have fallen off the radar this Olympic season after missing the Grand Prix series due to Shabalin's reoccurring knee injury.

More

KKonas

Medalist
Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin are the reigning World Champions in Ice Dance, however, they have fallen off the radar this Olympic season after missing the Grand Prix series due to Shabalin's reoccurring knee injury.

More
Obviously a PR piece to combat the negative reaction to their programs. No surprise that Gorshkov okayed use of ropes in their programs, he's Russian after all. It really is a shame about Shabalin's knee but I don't think Olympic gold should be given for sympathy. Too bad Canadian Ann Shaw was ousted out of the Ice Dance Committee when Gorshkov took over.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watch: for next season, the use of "assist devices" (such as the belts in DomShabs' FS) will be outlawed. Of course they will get away with it this year.

jcoates

Medalist
It's interesting to note that Tarasova seemed pretty peeved about the belts according to the translation of her commentary on Aunt Joyce's blog. She seemed to think they were already illegal.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think it will be interesting to see how these belt lifts are treated by the callers at Euros. I can believe that the belts are not forbidden, but I do not see how using one (as in the rotational lift in the FD) constitutes a difficult entry. Basically, it's just picking up a package by the handle. It's possible they may only get a level lower on some of the lifts due to the belts. Or not--I wonder whether there will be an emergency meeting of the ISU tech committee between now and Euros.

But I can well believe Oksana's dog chose the music for the OD :laugh:

Big Deal

Final Flight
Well, this report is just a part of the politic, to keep the impression up their chance is still there.
They have nothing else then using all of their possibility to do so with these (blah...) programes, even to medal at Oly.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GS doesn't do "PR" pieces unless I get paid....LOL! This was just simply a follow-up article for the winners of Dance at Russian Nats. Stay tuned next week for the ladies winner - Makarova :)

KKonas

Medalist
GS doesn't do "PR" pieces unless I get paid....LOL! This was just simply a follow-up article for the winners of Dance at Russian Nats. Stay tuned next week for the ladies winner - Makarova :)

Didn't mean to imply that you wrote this article - thought it was clear since Tatiana has the byline. However, it reads like a PR piece. Tatiana has worked for the ISU for years so I don't expect a negative article. She does all the ISU reports at GP Series and Worlds and will be at the Olympics as well. Although German, she speaks Russian and 4 or 5 other languages and almost always goes to Russian Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've read posts by Flade and she is always complimentary about Russian ice dance teams while finding flaws with the skating of their closest competitors. IMO, she is not the most unbiased reporter out there.

KKonas

Medalist
I think it will be interesting to see how these belt lifts are treated by the callers at Euros. I can believe that the belts are not forbidden, but I do not see how using one (as in the rotational lift in the FD) constitutes a difficult entry. Basically, it's just picking up a package by the handle. It's possible they may only get a level lower on some of the lifts due to the belts. Or not--I wonder whether there will be an emergency meeting of the ISU tech committee between now and Euros.

But I can well believe Oksana's dog chose the music for the OD :laugh:

Heard from a reliable source that despite Gorshkov's okay of the use of "belts" by Domnina & Shabalin in their routine, the Ice Dance Committee is meeting some time before Euros to discuss this issue as it relates to current rules.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Just watch: for next season, the use of "assist devices" (such as the belts in DomShabs' FS) will be outlawed. Of course they will get away with it this year.

Either that or they will win at the olympics and/or worlds and then evey team will use a "belt" next season. Remember the love affair with the Belleiman?

futureidol

On the Ice
I really pray they can right this ship, but I fear this quote from Oksana says it all: "There is so much work I don't even see the end."

They have so much to improve in such a short time and Maxim's knee is a serious issue. Their dance steps are seriously suffering and they look sloppy and slow. I love them to death, but their programs and injuries this year are a nightmare. Although I personally think the dance belt lift is cool and their FD is less frightening than the OD, although the FD was skated worse than the OD at Russian Nationals.

trinity90

Rinkside
Either that or they will win at the olympics and/or worlds and then evey team will use a "belt" next season. Remember the love affair with the Belleiman?

**Cringe** Yeah the beillman is being waaayyy too much in ladies skating and about 95% of them looked strained and very unattractive. I really dont see D/S "belt usage" has innovative and frankly, their lifts with it are very poor and not that difficult, but thats just me I guess...