Breakthrough season for Makarova | Golden Skate

Breakthrough season for Makarova

N

n_halifax

Talk about excellent timing. Ksenia Makarova has had a breakthrough this season when she made the Olympic team after being crowned the new Russian Ladies' Champion. [More]http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/010810.shtml

Great article! I knew very little about this new faced and was very surprised that not only had she represented the U.S. in the past but that her parents are Selezneva and Makarov. It's not often both parents and children are National champions! I wish her the very best at Europeans. :) Hopefully she continues her success!

champs

Final Flight
Thanks for the article.

I'm really impressed with her skating at JGPF and Russian Nationals, I'm wishing her luck at Euros. I don't do prediction but I will not be surprised and will be happy if she skates well and wins there.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Just went to youtube and watched some clips of her. I REALLY like her skating, much more than Leonova's. Could it be possible she will eclipse Leonova? Guess the wild card is what the intl judges at Europeans will do...

ankka

Rinkside
I think she is definitely a great talent but will need a couple of years still to make it to the very top of the world. In my opinion her arm movements need polishing and she would benefit from a better flow through her programs. But I do like her a lot and hope she will get to the very top eventually. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just went to youtube and watched some clips of her. I REALLY like her skating, much more than Leonova's. Could it be possible she will eclipse Leonova? Guess the wild card is what the intl judges at Europeans will do...

Well she beat Leonova at Russian Nationals where Leonova was the favorite, so I wouldn't be surprised if she beat her again at Euros. I think she has a good shot at winning Euros, the field seems pretty weak this year unless Kostner, Leonova, and Lepisto bring it, and I think if she performs well she will medal.

Love her skating though, it's very smooth and lyrical :agree:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Well she beat Leonova at Russian Nationals where Leonova was the favorite, so I wouldn't be surprised if she beat her again at Euros. I think she has a good shot at winning Euros, the field seems pretty weak this year unless Kostner, Leonova, and Lepisto bring it, and I think if she performs well she will medal.

I don't think Ksenia could beat Alena if Alena will skate clean or almost clean. First of all, Ksenia's PCS were close to Alena's at Russian Nationals, it will be different at Euros. Her LP not as difficult as Alena's, she doesn't have lutz and has only one flip, which is not her best jump, when Alena has lutz, flip and 3F-2A+Seq. Anyway, good luck to them both!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Ksenia could beat Alena if Alena will skate clean or almost clean. First of all, Ksenia's PCS were close to Alena's at Russian Nationals, it will be different at Euros. Her LP not as difficult as Alena's, she doesn't have lutz and has only one flip, which is not her best jump, when Alena has lutz, flip and 3F-2A+Seq. Anyway, good luck to them both!

Ksenia does have a 3t-3t in the SP and LP though to make up for her lack of a lutz (3t-3t = 8 points) (3lz-2t = 7.3 points). I think it will come down to who does better, Alena tends to step out of her jumps but Ksneia sometimes has hers DGed. I think they both have a great shot at being on the podium though!