Lysacek news story: Evan's changing his free skate program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek news story: Evan's changing his free skate program

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
That's good to hear Evan's challenging himself, but for nationals I feel like he really doesn't need to do all that. Johnny won't do a quad and even though Jeremy and Ryan are planning to I bet Lysacek will score higher than both regardless. At the Olympics, this new plan is a good idea, so I guess he can try it out at nationals first to see how it works.

I think it is an excellent idea to try out the programme with changes at the Nationals. It would be a great risk to go to the Olympics without a previous try-out, IMO.

I think that it is natural that Carroll speaks highly of Lysacek, that is how coaches do. Well, I felt sick as I read what Tarasova mentioned about Yagudin, ROTFL.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Maybe Evan's back to discussing the quad because he has decided that US Nationals is just a practice. Yes, he actually said that. I'll withhold comment and just share the link.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe Evan's back to discussing the quad because he has decided that US Nationals is just a practice. Yes, he actually said that. I'll withhold comment and just share the link.

I recall how Frank Carroll was full of similar praise when Caro decided to train with him.

But I don't remember any criticisms about Carroll's praise when it was for Caro.
Maybe because she is Euro certain posters here felt it was OK :)
More of the double standards ;)

Phoenix347

Final Flight
New York Times story on Lysacek

Link:

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/lysacek-not-taking-it-easy-at-nationals/

Quote:

But now, with a spot on the Olympic team on the line, Lysacek said he would try the quad in his long program Sunday at the U.S. Figure Skating national championships. He is removing a triple axel from his routine to fit in the more difficult jump, one that would give him a base score of 9.8. The triple axel has a base score of 8.2.

Lysacek said he only practices the quad about three times a day, to protect his left foot, which he injured last season. He said that he still had nerve damage in the foot and that the pain sometimes bothered him. Still, he is happy about his decision to try the quad, particularly as a run-through for the Olympics.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Now that I don't get. Why is he removing one of the 3A? Honey, you can do 2 3As, 2 3Lzs and a Quad - without breaking any rules.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Well, I felt sick as I read what Tarasova mentioned about Yagudin, ROTFL

what are you referring to?

I recall how Frank Carroll was full of similar praise when Caro decided to train with him.

But I don't remember any criticisms about Carroll's praise when it was for Caro.
Maybe because she is Euro certain posters here felt it was OK
More of the double standards

I don't get your last sentence (I should study more english!)

However, I think one thing his when a coach praise a skater he's just begin to work with (I mean, it was also an interview to Italians media about the best italian skater in recent years), another thing is to speak so about a skater with whom you've worked for a while and of which you're supposed to know well flaws and best....but in the end I think it's just pre-nats fireworks!

But I prefer too Mishin...he seems a kinda of more realistic..

janetfan

Match Penalty
:
I can't believe Evan would actually say that. It's a bit disrespectful of other skaters and USFSA.

I would agree with medusa - that it is basically truthful.

In the context of the article Evan is saying he is glad to have a chance to try out his revised program before Vancouver. It is mentioned he can finish fourth and still be selected to the Natl team.

Evan says he has no intention of finishing fourth. It is obvious his eye is on Vancouver and it feels like nitpicking to say he is being disrespectful to other USA skaters.

He is the WC, he hopes to do well in Vancouver and that is where his focus is.
I can see that with certain posters anything he says will get criticized.

On the Johnny thread - Johnny is getting criticized for what he didn't say. :)

Holy smokes! Give these skaters a break :laugh:

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I found to good the incipit of this article!!! "why isn't he lining up outside the stadium?" :biggrin::p
and...carroll is just another man! now I :agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Evan will make he team, no two ways about it. Why beat around the bush? He is just being honest and confident that he will skate well enough to earn a spot. He dosent have to win, just stay on the podium. No probelmo.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Now that I don't get. Why is he removing one of the 3A? Honey, you can do 2 3As, 2 3Lzs and a Quad - without breaking any rules.

The 3a is not a very strong jump for Evan, he does that weird pre-rotation thing. By doing a quad and a 3f-2a seqeunce, he can still increase his total base score by a bit, even with one less 3a. At the Olympics it will all depend on what everyone else does, as Joubert could do 3 quads between his two programs, Verner two 4-3s, and who even knows what kind of amazingness Plushenko will pull. Soo excited!!!:love:

moojja

Rinkside
I think I will withhold comment, too. ;) :rofl:

He's been saying that about every competition so far, even for the competitions he lost. He's viewing everything he does this season as practice for the Olympics. I don't think he's dissing anyone, just the Olympics means more to him than Nationals at this point.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Should i behold the comment too to make it three of us?:laugh:
Actually I found the interview fine, he knows he is going to Olys no matter what, why hide it? It would be false modesty. I didnt mind this part, it was fine.

What I found boring is the too much "I am" in this interview, too many declarations before competitions, I am better, I am smarter than before, me...he is the best skater in this competition..I was likee Ssss...just skate. :laugh: Even THE finger is less noisy declaration.
On the other hand Johnny at least makes interesting interviews, you learn something new like fur hats:biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The 3a is not a very strong jump for Evan

The technique may not be good but it's consistent enough that he should absolutely be doing 2 of them.

I think this layout would be ideal for Evan if he's going for the Quad:

4Toe
3Axel-2Toe-2Loop
3Sal
----------
3Axel
3Lutz-3Toe
3Loop
3Flip-2Axel
3Lutz