2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Junior level skater. Training with Joanne McLeod. That is absolutely not representative from Canadian men skating that has brought in good PCS skaters in the past. The reality is that Canadian Nationals for men this year was the worst in years. Retirements, injuries, skaters not delivering. The podium was what it was.... two of these men were sent to junior worlds as a matter of fact... and Wesley was also age eligible for Junior worlds.. Wesley is improving in that sense. His skating quality is better than what he is credited for. He is quite light and smooth on the ice. There are a lot of areas needing development of course, but yeah... I feel he can get there. Aleksa, is talented but will not improve his PCS under McLeod. The only skater really that ever had anything to offer in that department coming from Champs (her training base) is Emmanuel Sandhu and I believe she cannot be credited for any of it... His dance training had to do with it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Obviously I brought him up in context of our discussion on PCS, :biggrin:and the reference to the PCS of Canadian skaters. Anthony is sui generis in that department:)
yes and no. Yes, he is unique. But here is what I would add : Anthony's coach is Yvan Desjardins. The last 3 men that reached higher level skating from his camp : Nic Nadeau, Jo Phan and Anthony. All 3 have great skating technique. All 3 are expressive skaters. They all have their own style. I value this very much in a coach : teach solid basics to allow your students to shine within their own personality. That's my philosophy with my kids too ;) Without a solid foundation, Anthony wouldn't be able to express himself on the ice nearly as well as he does now.

PS interesting to add that Anthony is the only one with a senior medal from this group... crazy stuff considering who the others are... but also showing the effects of retirements and injuries on the current field.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yes and no. Yes, he is unique. But here is what I would add : Anthony's coach is Yvan Desjardins. The last 3 men that reached higher level skating from his camp : Nic Nadeau, Jo Phan and Anthony. All 3 have great skating technique. All 3 are expressive skaters. They all have their own style. I value this very much in a coach : teach solid basics to allow your students to shine within their own personality. That's my philosophy with my kids too ;) Without a solid foundation, Anthony wouldn't be able to express himself on the ice nearly as well as he does now.

PS interesting to add that Anthony is the only one with a senior medal from this group... crazy stuff considering who the others are... but also showing the effects of retirements and injuries on the current field.

I agree, I am very impressed by Coach Yvan. I even started following Rosemère on IG (simple question, how close is the rink to Montreal proper?).

Anthony, Nic and Jo were indeed expressive skaters, Solid basics are absolutely key, too many people act as though "artistic" skaters jump out on the rink and freestyle, singing lalalala, instead of working hard to perfect their craft. (I can think of one skater, guess who :biggrin:who has gotten this inane criticism over the years. I don't mind criticisms, but inane ones make me crazy. ;) )

IMHO, and mine only, (and you know I was a big fan of Nic) Anthony has an extra spark, and I can't describe it. I hope that he does get the jumps that allow him to go to Worlds without patching ice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree, I am very impressed by Coach Yvan. I even started following Rosemère on IG (simple question, how close is the rink to Montreal proper?).

Rosemère is a fancy suburb just North of Laval which is the island north of Montreal. About 35 minutes driving I would say.
Anthony, Nic and Jo were indeed expressive skaters, Solid basics are absolutely key, too many people act as though "artistic" skaters jump out on the rink and freestyle, singing lalalala, instead of working hard to perfect their craft. (I can think of one skater, guess who :biggrin:who has gotten this inane criticism over the years. I don't mind criticisms, but inane ones make me crazy. ;) )

IMHO, and mine only, (and you know I was a big fan of Nic) Anthony has an extra spark, and I can't describe it. I hope that he does get the jumps that allow him to go to Worlds without patching ice.
He had better jumps before his ankle fracture. He is working on his 3a. If he gets it..it will at least makes it easier for him in juniors.

Another skater from Yvan's gang is Edward Vasii. He's been off the competitive ice all year with injury. Looking forward to him returning to competition. Edrian Celestino, I adore him, is also with Yvan now... But I believe he started somewhere else.. he was doing ice dance earlier on, hence his good skating skills.

At worlds, Yvan was there with Kelly Ann and Loucas if I am not mistaken.

Sorry for the off topic. The reality is that I do agree that the field needs a bit more spark. Lukas surprised me with his energy this time around.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It cuts both ways. The judges uphold Brown more than Malinin because crowd goes wild. At least crowd going wild when Malinin lands 4A is more attuned with correct judging than when crowd goes wild when Brown pops 2A. Seriously, that ovation for a popped 2A was the most face palming moment of the competition and the biggest argument in favor of discounting crowd's opinions as a popularity contest that has nothing to do with what is actually happening.

I just watched Jason's pop in the FS, seconds ago. There was no "crowd going wild" for Jason's pop, more of a hushed "oh" and little to no clapping. The only thing I can figure is you're talking about the end of his program and somehow actually believing that a quick pop that lasts a mere second should outweigh, and detract from, an entire program that lasts for minutes and otherwise skated well. If so, that's not logical. And, no, I am not a fan of his skating, so don't chalk up my comments to bias.

As for the crowd - they went crazy for several performances. So? I recall 2019 Skate Canada and saying: "These people are wild for skating!" It was like one giant party and it was a blast. It didn't matter who was on the ice, they cheered on everyone.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canadian skating fans love the sport and are vocal about it. Maybe it is because they have a big responsibility on their shoulders in a hockey nation.

Re the crowd for Jason... It was a "oh oups" moment for the pop. The cheering came at the end of the program and it was loud, at least in my section.

cailuj365

On the Ice
Junior level skater. Training with Joanne McLeod. That is absolutely not representative from Canadian men skating that has brought in good PCS skaters in the past. The reality is that Canadian Nationals for men this year was the worst in years. Retirements, injuries, skaters not delivering. The podium was what it was.... two of these men were sent to junior worlds as a matter of fact... and Wesley was also age eligible for Junior worlds.. Wesley is improving in that sense. His skating quality is better than what he is credited for. He is quite light and smooth on the ice. There are a lot of areas needing development of course, but yeah... I feel he can get there. Aleksa, is talented but will not improve his PCS under McLeod. The only skater really that ever had anything to offer in that department coming from Champs (her training base) is Emmanuel Sandhu and I believe she cannot be credited for any of it... His dance training had to do with it.

Totally, totally. I wasn't making a blanket statement about Canadian men as a whole over history, my goodness, hardly! We just saw the best of the best in the gala. I was just referencing this year and was thinking specifically the silver medalist when it came to actual junior level of presentation, without trying to name names (obviously backfired)... and in any case, that's not what Ilia puts out there. Agree Wesley could get there. I didn't know Aleksa was training with McLeod, but that makes total sense. He reminds me of Kevin Reynolds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Watching CBC TV coverage of the men with Meagan and Kurt. All praise for Yuma's musicality and skating skills. So there's that :)

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
I am fine giving ilia massive points for performance. There are two other components. Choreography. Very bland if you ask me. Skating skills. If you look at his basic skating, it is good, not as good as some others. Is he fast? Relatively speaking, he has improved his speed... But going faster when there are less steps and turns is easier. I find it interesting Corey had the impression Adam was slower.
Fair enough, but there is no way you can adjust his score enough to deny him gold, or put Jason Brown on the podium.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fair enough, but there is no way you can adjust his score enough to deny him gold, or put Jason Brown on the podium.

Wow, I can't think of one poster on this forum who said that?

I am a certified Jason fangirl and I have taken great pains to not say that.. I can't speak for every Jason fan, but I think I have a fair knowledge of many, and none of us are saying accurate scoring would put Jason on the podium. We are saying it would be accurate scoring. :)

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Lol, I knew someone would bring up Anthony Paradis as soon as I mentioned Canadian men's medalists. He has fabulous presence, but he's currently really technically limited. You could see Anthony in the front row audience during Ilia's 4A slow-mo. I wonder what was going through his head. But yeah, I was not thinking about Anthony, but Aleksa.
After watching Ilia's FS like over 20 times , I noticed Anthony sitting in the front row (with possible two girls). He was watching so intently. I did wonder what he was thinking too. I also noticed him during Yuma's too. I also observed up he didn't applaud nor stand up, as pretty much the others in the audience was doing after both of their performances. He doesn't have to do either, but, I wondered lol :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After watching Ilia's FS like over 20 times , I noticed Anthony sitting in the front row (with possible two girls). He was watching so intently. I did wonder what he was thinking too. I also noticed him during Yuma's too. I also observed up he didn't applaud nor stand up, as pretty much the others in the audience was doing after both of their performances. He doesn't have to do either, but, I wondered lol :)
Not standing up is not an offense. I remember when I was a teenager that I never stood up at concerts. I wanted to live the moment in a more interior manner. I was also analyzing deeply what I needed to do in my own craft if I were to one day, aspire to be a pro as well. I was lost in my thoughts and though I truly enjoyed the performances, I probably looked very serious while others were going wild. I have no idea if that is the same for Anthony but I don't think it is a good idea to project thoughts on a young skater based on whether or not they stood up at a skating competition.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Not standing up is not an offense. I remember when I was a teenager that I never stood up at concerts. I wanted to live the moment in a more interior manner. I was also analyzing deeply what I needed to do in my own craft if I were to one day, aspire to be a pro as well. I was lost in my thoughts and though I truly enjoyed the performances, I probably looked very serious while others were going wild. I have no idea if that is the same for Anthony but I don't think it is a good idea to project thoughts on a young skater based on whether or not they stood up at a skating competition.
I didnt project any thoughts at all, nor did i say it was offensive that he didn't stand up (i said he doesnt have to do either) something just i observed. I did state he was watching intently, which made me wonder what he was thinking. From how you described, i can believe he was possibly doing as you stated

Last edited: