Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
7th place is what we expect from a second or third Lady.

It is interesting that it was Mirai who has apologized for letting the medal streak end. She said she plans to start a new one in 2014.

in Racheal's defense she skated better than 7th place, her flips were fully rotated, but was held back for "political" reasons. 4th and 7th is nothing to laugh at considering both girls lack of experience and Mirai's downgrade history. They both skated very, very well ans should be proud.

The things Mirai says are just too cute:) I hope she can start her own streak in Sochi!

I think not just fans but also both former and present figure skaters have said or suggested that she deserved higher GoEs for the quality of those jumps. Of course, there seem to be others that want to deny that they were good triple-axels, but according to you, they were done 'perfectly'. If something's been done perfectly, might that be reason to give positive GOEs? If something's perfect, it can't be any better, right?

I think others have argued that she deserved positive GOEs because it was a historical feat, that it was the first time that a woman succeeded in executing three triple-axels, of which one was done in the short! That Mao is the only woman to be able to depend on the triple-axel as a point getter in competition is truly unique.

I know this could never happen, but I wish she could get GOEs for the fact that she perfected her triple-axel under a system that seemed to punish her for striving to bring the sport to another level. To me, that's what makes Mao so special, that's what makes her ability to do the triple-axel special in a way that no other triple-axel jumper's ability will ever be.
Thank you Hurrah. I have never understood the plus GoEs because they so vary when looking at protocols. They are not quantifiable and are a question of perceived quality, not unlike the 6.0 system. So be it. Of course, a good unusual transition into the jump and after landing a smart move to another element would change my mind somewhat.

janetfan

Match Penalty
A fair example:
Watch Yuna's 3Lz +3T. It is spectacular, by far the most impressive jumping pass by a Lady and truthfully it ranks up there with the Men.

Watch Mao's 3A - it is quite an accomplishment but can we compare it with the best Men's 3A jumps? No way, and not even close.
Truth be told people here make such a fuss about Evan's pre-rotation but Mao is doubling Evan's pre-rotation.

I am not all that picky about this stuff but +GOE means a reward for exceptional execution, and not just barely getting by.

Any doubters - I say watch Plushy's 3Lz and then watch Yuna. Yuna's 3Lz is far superior to Plushy and that is why Yuna gets big GOE for her Lutz jumps.

GOE is conceptionally a good idea but it should not be given out just for completing an element.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
Thank you Hurrah. I have never understood the plus GoEs because they so vary when looking at protocols. They are not quantifiable and are a question of perceived quality, not unlike the 6.0 system. So be it. Of course, a good unusual transition into the jump and after landing a smart move to another element would change my mind somewhat.

Thank YOU for hailing me, but I wouldn't take my explanation as sufficient to explain how someone goes about getting positive GOEs. Good height and width, speed into the jump, tight rotation, good air position, good flow out of the jump, as well as difficult transition before and after are what gets you positive GOEs, I believe.

lavender

Record Breaker
Mao please work on bringing back your triple/triple and bring one of the other jumps that you never do anymore back.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Interestingly i consider Mirai to be a worthier representative from the U.S. and better athlete than Rachael. She reverted back to her crappy lazy habits at the Oly. Crowning her as the US Champ was a huge mistake. I think she only bothered so she could get into the best college she could.

Please explain what crappy lazy habits she reverted back to? So people who trained full time to be at the elite level only did it to get into the best college? After skating, Rachael could do something with her life, the other girls? SOI for a few years and then?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
in Racheal's defense she skated better than 7th place, her flips were fully rotated, but was held back for "political" reasons. 4th and 7th is nothing to laugh at considering both girls lack of experience and Mirai's downgrade history. They both skated very, very well ans should be proud.

The things Mirai says are just too cute:) I hope she can start her own streak in Sochi!

Political reasons? Explain. If Rachael was held back for political reasons how come Mirai was not? - they represent the same country. I don't see why they couldn't have just ratified her triple flips and given her a similar score anyways....was her performance at the Olympics really much better than the one she did at SA where she got a 116? I thought they were about the same, the SA LP maybe even a little better, and that Rachael should have been given credit for all her triples and gotten a score of around 120. The placement would have been the same but less controversial.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Political reasons? Explain. If Rachael was held back for political reasons how come Mirai was not? - they represent the same country. I don't see why they couldn't have just ratified her triple flips and given her a similar score anyways....was her performance at the Olympics really much better than the one she did at SA where she got a 116? I thought they were about the same, the SA LP maybe even a little better, and that Rachael should have been given credit for all her triples and gotten a score of around 120. The placement would have been the same but less controversial.

Yes, several posters have referred to a "political climate" that somehow mangaged to pass over Mirai and only effect Rachael.
Any explanations?
Let's consider this for a minute.

We can see how Rachael is hitting the ice like a ton of bricks after her jumps and Mirai is light and feathery on her landings with beautiful flow out and superb posture. This has to do with technique. Mirai has exceptional air position on her jumps. We have seen Rachael deteriorate and how many of her jumps are now off axis. Thus the hard landings and lack of a quality(GOE) finish on her jumps.

I am sure Rachael and her coach will work on this leading into Worlds and with a little adjustment hopefully Rachael will improve her jumps.

But is that really a "political problem" or just Intl judges rewarding Mirai for excellence (her TES and GOE were both better than Rachael) and deservedly so.

Once Mirai's pcs go up she will be a steady podium finisher.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, several posters have referred to a "political climate" that somehow mangaged to pass over Mirai and only effect Rachael.
Any explanations?
Let's consider this for a minute.

We can see how Rachael is hitting the ice like a ton of bricks after her jumps and Mirai is light and feathery on her landings with beautiful flow out and superb posture. This has to do with technique. Mirai has exceptional air position on her jumps. We have seen Rachael deteriorate and how many of her jumps are now off axis. Thus the hard landings and lack of a quality(GOE) finish on her jumps.

I am sure Rachael and her coach will work on this leading into Worlds and with a little adjustment hopefully Rachael will improve her jumps.

But is that really a "political problem" or just Intl judges rewarding Mirai for excellence (her TES and GOE were both better than Rachael) and deservedly so.

Once Mirai's pcs go up she will be a steady podium finisher.

Oh ok, I can see that. But if I'm going to be honest, Joannie's jumps are a lot like Rachael's and she didn't get punished for it. The other thing is that if Rachael hadn't been hit with downgrades, her score would have been about 8 points higher, meaning 125ish which is nearly identical to Mirai's score, so I'm not sure how much her jump technique and landings are really hurting her. I watched her flips in slo-mo and they appeared to be right on the quarter, so I wouldn't say the downgrades were completely bogus, I'm just surprised she didn't get docked for them in the SP, where her toe and lutz were more under-rotated than both flips in the LP, considering it was the same technical caller...

sunrock

Rinkside
"lotto triple axel":rofl:

It is a gamble, but you got to give respect to that determination and refusal to be ordinary.

☆Genie

Rinkside
A fair example:
Watch Yuna's 3Lz +3T. It is spectacular, by far the most impressive jumping pass by a Lady and truthfully it ranks up there with the Men.

Watch Mao's 3A - it is quite an accomplishment but can we compare it with the best Men's 3A jumps? No way, and not even close.
Truth be told people here make such a fuss about Evan's pre-rotation but Mao is doubling Evan's pre-rotation.

I am not all that picky about this stuff but +GOE means a reward for exceptional execution, and not just barely getting by.

Any doubters - I say watch Plushy's 3Lz and then watch Yuna. Yuna's 3Lz is far superior to Plushy and that is why Yuna gets big GOE for her Lutz jumps.

GOE is conceptionally a good idea but it should not be given out just for completing an element.

But not all men have triple axels... 20 of the men in the Vancouver Olympics never had one..

janetfan

Match Penalty
☆Genie;482685 said:
But not all men have triple axels... 20 of the men in the Vancouver Olympics never had one..

The point is that +GOE is given for good execution. Just doing an element does not earn a skater +GOE.

I really don't have an opinion on this but can see how Yuna has exceptional jumps with fast clean entries and good landings.

Maybe Mao deserves a bonus for her 3A's. Others here are more qualified to answer that than me.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

You realize that political reasons are not country-based, but skater-based, right? Frank and Evan worked the circus to get his gold medal. Evan was at Nobunari level throughout the season and suddenly got to Plushenko level in the span of a month?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao's 3A has great height and tight rotation. Her solo 3A at Games had a good flow, too. So I wondered why she didn't get higher GoE on that.

miki88

Medalist
Mao's 3A has great height and tight rotation. Her solo 3A at Games had a good flow, too. So I wondered why she didn't get higher GoE on that.

Preconceived notions of what an axel should look like? I.E. Midori Ito style?