Malinin's quad Axel at Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Malinin's quad Axel at Skate America

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What was interesting to me is that part of the reaction was sort of delayed, as if people did not realize what they had just seen and once it sunk in and/or the person next to them said hey, that was a quad axel, there was sort of a “second wave” of cheering :)

:)
Audience who are not familiar with the technique of figure skating don't always recognize the jumps at all, not even can apart singles from triples. There are people who don't watch much more than worlds.m, maybe for continents or but go to watch live when there is opportunity to watch something nearby they live. En example I remember from Worlds 2017, when Emmi Peltonen singled her solo jump. A lady, with whom I chatted a little bit, sitting next to me asked why she got so low scores and did not make it to free, I explained she should have done triple solo jump but still she did not understand why she got 0 points from the jump it even though she did not fall - I explained but she still did not see the difference. For her the most important thing was she did not fall and jumps were good in her opinion.
'
Without this forum, which I joined 2007, although I have watched figure skating since my childhood and I am born in the 60's, my knowledge about FS would be significantly less than it is today. Still I don't recognize always all the jumps, only axel and often loop are the ones I mostly recognize.

What I am trying to say, people don't know how historical it is. If I go to tell my boss, hey Ilia Malinin did quad axel at competition, he would ask, is it difficult or is it allowed, is it high or something like that, but probably would not understand at all what is worth mentioning in it.

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I made this slow-mo GIF. Enjoy!

4A-2.gif

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Honestly, with this layout—or whatever crazy changes Malinin is going to try—he achieves the main thing. He excites curiosity. And, in 2022, it’s more important than medals from profit pov. We are culture of notoriety, and Malinin is doing his best to make a splash. He’s miles ahead 2020 junior worlds he made as a S, where all that was noted about him was that he represented Team Second Generation with Naumov and Torgashev. He’s young, handsome and talented. So, go him!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The slow-mo gif does a good job showing the mechanics of how the rotation is achieved. Turn towards backward on the takeoff while not extending the arms, wrap the free leg into the circle rather than kicking through, and keep the momentum more one-dimensional (going up) so there isn't the difficulty of needing to contend with the horizontal plane of motion (distance).

In a way it's very nice looking how straight the rotational axis is.

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
On the ISU figure skating Instagram page, they have a post about this which states “Ilia Malinin lands the first 4A at an ISU competition“. I’m pretty sure that the US Classic where he first landed it last month is also an ISU competition. How can they not know that?

Amei

Record Breaker
Why is the ISU a failing organization, exhibit A your honor:

On the ISU figure skating Instagram page, they have a post about this which states “Ilia Malinin lands the first 4A at an ISU competition“. I’m pretty sure that the US Classic where he first landed it last month is also an ISU competition. How can they not know that?

Amei

Record Breaker
Probably they meant GP and got that wrong :drama:

Not sure what is worse: the international organization not knowing that he landed the first official quad axel in competition a few weeks ago at 1 of their events or that someone didn't take 30-60 seconds to proofread their tweet from the official account...both options are pretty bad

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I made this slow-mo GIF. Enjoy!

4A-2.gif
the height on this jump makes it truly astonishing ... on an axel, where you don't get the assist of the toe picking in with the other leg. And also, it's from the front. I wonder what Uncle Dick says about this -- he always marveled at people doing double axel.

ETA: Ilia's head reached the 6th row of spectators! :dbana:

thank you for making this slow motion gif, @AxelLover ! It really shows why, as I've already heard so many elite skaters say, "I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime."

I'm stunned by the sheer beauty of this.

@lariko :
He’s miles ahead 2020 junior worlds he made as a S, where all that was noted about him was that he represented Team Second Generation with Naumov and Torgashev.
What's interesting to me about this comment is that it demonstrates that Ilia and his parents took everything small step by small step, not trying to rush things.