2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
A little early I know but thought someone might know when the assignment meeting takes place.
Anyone please let us know.
Last year it was late May, IIRC.

Mid June. Last year was earlier than usual because of the Olympics.

I'm still a bit hazy on this Junior competition. Apparently, it has to do with the skater's age, but what other credentials does the skater need to qualify for Juniors? Are there tests to qualify for Juniors, and do they apply to all Federations??

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Interesting. When was the last time an Olympic champion skater or team took part in the Grand Prix?
Alexei Yagudin was going to continue after winning the OGM - and was leading after the SP at the 2002 Skate America, when his hip injury forced him to withdraw and eventually ended his competitive career.

With the possible exception of V/M, I don't expect to see any of the OGM winners in the 2010 GP series.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Other than Plush, you mean? He skated CoR last year? Yagudin arrived at Skate America for the 2002/2003 season, skated his SP to Racing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q70BbgHUIQ
but withdrew, I think, due to his hip problems? The last teams that seriously did a lot of Grand Prix's would be Grishuk & Platov, post 1994, and Urmanov skated GP events in the 95/96 and 96/97 and 97/98 seasons.

May 18 and 19 of this year? That's tremendous! I hope Kimmie is back to full strength. I hate to see a good skater fall out the bottom of the sport. I feel the same way about Caroline. I'll watch the video when I get a chance. Thanks!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
May 18 and 19 of this year? That's tremendous! I hope Kimmie is back to full strength. I hate to see a good skater fall out the bottom of the sport. I feel the same way about Caroline. I'll watch the video when I get a chance. Thanks!

Yeah, this year. She still looks like muscles Kimmie but the skating seems decent. Most importantly, she seems happy :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's Kimmie skating in Superstars on Ice which took place May 18 and 19 in Illinois. It's a fun routine, and she looks really strong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpe3qlVkPHE

Well, whadya know. The once plain, boring Kimmie now really letting her love for skating shine through. That performance reminded me almost of Emily Hughes

Take-home message:

You NEVER KNOW how a skater will turn out. Yes, I'm talking to you, Flatt critics:biggrin:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm still a bit hazy on this Junior competition. Apparently, it has to do with the skater's age, but what other credentials does the skater need to qualify for Juniors? Are there tests to qualify for Juniors, and do they apply to all Federations??

Internationally, junior is strictly an age definition. Nationally, that differs however. I do no in the USA it's a matter of passing tests, so someone might compete at the senior level nationally but junior internationally - that's quite common (Virtue/Moir did for two years, for example. Some skaters - like Denis Ten, will do both. You cannot do senior and junior GP events, except pairs as a host nation pick, I think)

sorcerer

Final Flight
Mid June. Last year was earlier than usual because of the Olympics.

A famous blogger here says he heard rumours that the assignment will take place on 10th or 11th.
No idea where he got that date, though.

If this is true, it'll be just before the ISU Congress opens.
Where will it take place then ??

Internationally, junior is strictly an age definition. Nationally, that differs however. I do no in the USA it's a matter of passing tests, so someone might compete at the senior level nationally but junior internationally - that's quite common (Virtue/Moir did for two years, for example. Some skaters - like Denis Ten, will do both. You cannot do senior and junior GP events, except pairs as a host nation pick, I think)
But surely, age is not the only requirement. Can a coach put her 12 yr old student into the Junior event for experience based on her age only? I would think the Junior Event would be flooded with contestants.

I think, but I am not at all sure, that only USFS skaters who have skated Intermediate or Novice would also be a requirement in addition to age. :confused:

It probably is "Open" for all international skaters. :scratch:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I have a feeling we will need a thread to argue if the skaters sent to Junior Worlds are really junior. :)