Shen/Zhao Skating Show Scheduled for August in China | Golden Skate

Shen/Zhao Skating Show Scheduled for August in China

chnh

Spectator
Wonder if anybody is interested in this, but I am excited about it.

In a recent interview with S/Z, they announced that they are organizing a skating event in China, and have sent out invitations (issued in their own names) to many international skaters, including Plushenko, Lysacek, Kim Yuna and Mao Asada, also Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue.
They also confirmed that they have received invitation to Festa on Ice in Korea, but were undecided whether or not to attend. However, they said if Yuna agreed to come to China, they would feel obliged to join Yuna's show.
The S/Z show will tour big Chinese cities such as Beijing and Shanghai, and in a form similar to Festa on Ice.

I will definitely fly to China for that show if they really manage to get those great ones together.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yu-na AND Mao in the same show? :O Oh daaaaang, that'd be awesome. And YES Shen/Zhao are holding a skating show; I will definitely be staying up to stream this heck yes :3

chnh

Spectator
Any news on coming to Guangzhou? What about HK?

Is there a ice rink in Guangzhou? I know that Chen Lu has a rink and runs her skating school in Shenzhen, so I am guessing perhaps Shenzhen will be included. Don't know anything about HK, except that they do have skaters.
Anyway, Shenzhen is a convenient stop from both Guangzhou and Hk, why not try there.

bibi24

Final Flight
Great news! Should be a real treat for skating fans :)

Even non-skating fans are usually touch by Shen/Zhao's performances.

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Translations:
Shen, Zhao organizing a star-studded Ice Show in China and, inviting Yu Na to "compete"

Zhao talks about how busy they've been participating in many interviews and that during their toughest times (I guess training?) before the Olympics, he told Xue that if they won the gold medal, they would sit at home resting everyday, drinking tea and doing nothing. However, resting is now impossible as their goal this year is to organize a skating exhibition cum competition (wouldn't this conflict with ISU rules? ).

Shen and Zhao, who finally achieved their dreams of winning an Olympic Gold Medal in Vancouver, revealed their post Olympics plans on their blogs days earlier: To organize an invitational competition and the most beautiful ice show in the world for figure skating fans. What's more exciting is that Shen Xue told reporters that they have invited skaters such as Kim Yu Na, Mao Asada, Plushenko etc to participate in the "Shen/Zhao figure skating stars invitational competition," scheduled to premiere in August 2010 in Beijing.

There's a chance that Yu Na will come to China in August

Time: August 2010. Venue: Beijing Gymnasium (don't know how to translate). "Beijing will be the first of many stops, multiple shows is of course a given. We have already sent an official invitation to Yu Na's managing company, and we're very touched and happy that there's a good chance Yu Na will be able to participate come August, based on her current schedule. Of course, the exact arrangements will have to respect the opinions of the sponsors, as well as the schedules of the skaters." Shen told reporters excitedly at yesterday's press session.

In fact, Yu Na's participation will certainly create a sensational wave of excitement and interest. Currently, she is preparing for the 2010 Worlds in Turin, Italy (Mar 23 - 28), where she will face off with Japan's Mao Asada in the Ladies event again in another epic battle. Previously, the Korean media has asked Yu Na about her retirement plans post Worlds, but she has said that she plans to compete in Sochi 2014. Regardless, her participation in the exhibition will be a dream come true for her Chinese fans.

Currently, the newest development is that Yu Na's managing company has also invited Shen/Zhao to participate in the annual Festa on Ice, which is themed "Mission Impossible" for this year, in line with Yu Na's Bond Girl SP. Yesterday, Shen said "Hongbo and I are still considering participating, but we feel that we should be polite and accept (since they're inviting her), hehe, hopefully Yu Na will also reciprocrate and participate in our show as well.

The show/ competition will cost sponsors $8 million RMB ()

Since winning Gold in Vancouver, Shen/ Zhao's future plans and return home have been a point of much interest. "Many were asking if we were retiring, and what was the next step" said Zhao. In reality, since returning to China, they have been patiently attending interviews with the various media; newspapers, television, magazines, online platforms etc. "Even though we're busy (to death), we will try to satisfy everyone and share our story and experience." Evidently, Shen/ Zhao will continue to be very good friends with the media. With regards to their future plans, Shen told reporters that their goal is to organize an ice show/ competition, and they will be inviting the World and Olympic champions to participate, bringing another aspect of figure skating to the masses (ie non competitive). It will follow a travelling format (a la SOI), beginning in Beijing. Stops include Shanghai and cities in the Northeast. Details are still being finalized with sponsors and organizers. They plan to include skaters from all over the world. The show requires sponsorship to the tune of $8 million RMB. Naturally, sponsors will receive benefits in return, such as choosing the cities they will perform in.

With regards to why they chose August, they say it's because that's the hottest period in the year and also the summer holidays. Hopefully, skating fans can get a little respite and enjoy themselves. Also, August is a comparatively less busy period for skaters, making it more convenient for them to participate.

Shen/ Zhao planning a major FS event? (As in the sense that it'll be a big thing)

"Besides inviting world-class figure skaters to perform, we also have another goal - to nurture the young, upcoming Chinese skaters. It's a long term project," an ambition and noble aim mentioned in Hongbo's blog. Yesterday, Shen told reporters that they hope more people will come to love figure skating through their show. "The stars we have invited include the Gold and Silver medallists in Singles - Yu Na and Mao, Plushenko and Lysacek, as well as Ice Dancing Gold medallists Virtue and Moir etc. We hope to bring the best possible performances to all. We have already sent out invitations personally to them." With regards to the costs of inviting these skaters, Shen has no comments, except that they will follow the views of the sponsors.

Shen/ Zhao's show will be the first in China to have multiple shows. According to plans, it can either follow the format of FOI or USA's Gymnastics and Skating spectacular, incorporating elements of pop music, inviting gymnasts to perform (not a bad idea, China has fab gymnasts), infusing pop culture, creating a totally different type of show. "We'll be pulling out all stops to showcase the very best on ice. If the response is good, we will turn it into an annual show."

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice shows in August should be done more often! It's lovely in July to go to Liberty when it is so hot, and even better to do Lake Placid International Dance Competition in August. And if you have kids, they are out of school.

I wonder why US shows do not do this.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation. It sound like it will be a fabulous show.

Basics

On the Ice
I don't think Shen & Zhao will show up for Fest on Ice. FOI line-up has already been announced, and instead of them zhangs are coming. Hopefully they come for Ice All Stars in August. I just can't wait for these amazng shows, more than worlds. lol

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Thank you for the translation, mishieru.
It's going to be a spectacular show, if everything on their wish list comes true!!
Also happy to see S/Z staying involved in the sport, rather than going off to have a baby right away. :D

aurora100

Final Flight
Translations:
Shen, Zhao organizing a star-studded Ice Show in China and, inviting Yu Na to "compete"

Zhao talks about how busy they've been participating in many interviews and that during their toughest times (I guess training?) before the Olympics, he told Xue that if they won the gold medal, they would sit at home resting everyday, drinking tea and doing nothing. However, resting is now impossible as their goal this year is to organize a skating exhibition cum competition (wouldn't this conflict with ISU rules? ).

Shen and Zhao, who finally achieved their dreams of winning an Olympic Gold Medal in Vancouver, revealed their post Olympics plans on their blogs days earlier: To organize an invitational competition and the most beautiful ice show in the world for figure skating fans. What's more exciting is that Shen Xue told reporters that they have invited skaters such as Kim Yu Na, Mao Asada, Plushenko etc to participate in the "Shen/Zhao figure skating stars invitational competition," scheduled to premiere in August 2010 in Beijing.

There's a chance that Yu Na will come to China in August

Time: August 2010. Venue: Beijing Gymnasium (don't know how to translate). "Beijing will be the first of many stops, multiple shows is of course a given. We have already sent an official invitation to Yu Na's managing company, and we're very touched and happy that there's a good chance Yu Na will be able to participate come August, based on her current schedule. Of course, the exact arrangements will have to respect the opinions of the sponsors, as well as the schedules of the skaters." Shen told reporters excitedly at yesterday's press session.

In fact, Yu Na's participation will certainly create a sensational wave of excitement and interest. Currently, she is preparing for the 2010 Worlds in Turin, Italy (Mar 23 - 28), where she will face off with Japan's Mao Asada in the Ladies event again in another epic battle. Previously, the Korean media has asked Yu Na about her retirement plans post Worlds, but she has said that she plans to compete in Sochi 2014. Regardless, her participation in the exhibition will be a dream come true for her Chinese fans.

Currently, the newest development is that Yu Na's managing company has also invited Shen/Zhao to participate in the annual Festa on Ice, which is themed "Mission Impossible" for this year, in line with Yu Na's Bond Girl SP. Yesterday, Shen said "Hongbo and I are still considering participating, but we feel that we should be polite and accept (since they're inviting her), hehe, hopefully Yu Na will also reciprocrate and participate in our show as well.

The show/ competition will cost sponsors $8 million RMB ()

Since winning Gold in Vancouver, Shen/ Zhao's future plans and return home have been a point of much interest. "Many were asking if we were retiring, and what was the next step" said Zhao. In reality, since returning to China, they have been patiently attending interviews with the various media; newspapers, television, magazines, online platforms etc. "Even though we're busy (to death), we will try to satisfy everyone and share our story and experience." Evidently, Shen/ Zhao will continue to be very good friends with the media. With regards to their future plans, Shen told reporters that their goal is to organize an ice show/ competition, and they will be inviting the World and Olympic champions to participate, bringing another aspect of figure skating to the masses (ie non competitive). It will follow a travelling format (a la SOI), beginning in Beijing. Stops include Shanghai and cities in the Northeast. Details are still being finalized with sponsors and organizers. They plan to include skaters from all over the world. The show requires sponsorship to the tune of $8 million RMB. Naturally, sponsors will receive benefits in return, such as choosing the cities they will perform in.

With regards to why they chose August, they say it's because that's the hottest period in the year and also the summer holidays. Hopefully, skating fans can get a little respite and enjoy themselves. Also, August is a comparatively less busy period for skaters, making it more convenient for them to participate.

Shen/ Zhao planning a major FS event? (As in the sense that it'll be a big thing)

"Besides inviting world-class figure skaters to perform, we also have another goal - to nurture the young, upcoming Chinese skaters. It's a long term project," an ambition and noble aim mentioned in Hongbo's blog. Yesterday, Shen told reporters that they hope more people will come to love figure skating through their show. "The stars we have invited include the Gold and Silver medallists in Singles - Yu Na and Mao, Plushenko and Lysacek, as well as Ice Dancing Gold medallists Virtue and Moir etc. We hope to bring the best possible performances to all. We have already sent out invitations personally to them." With regards to the costs of inviting these skaters, Shen has no comments, except that they will follow the views of the sponsors.

Shen/ Zhao's show will be the first in China to have multiple shows. According to plans, it can either follow the format of FOI or USA's Gymnastics and Skating spectacular, incorporating elements of pop music, inviting gymnasts to perform (not a bad idea, China has fab gymnasts), infusing pop culture, creating a totally different type of show. "We'll be pulling out all stops to showcase the very best on ice. If the response is good, we will turn it into an annual show."

Thank you for the translations. Wow, this is yet another sign how figure skating is spreading in Asia. Japan has been a power house but limited largely to Japan itself now it's the entire region (at least the East Asia). With Shen and Zhao in China and Yuna Kim in Korea with their respective ice shows. Wonder what this means to SOI in the US and Europe. I'm sure SOI people hoping to have Shen and Zhao in the SOI, would they not have? Or do they have enough "stars"? I'm really dying to know what Yuna will do. If she retired would she join the US SOI?

chnh

Spectator
Ice shows in August should be done more often! It's lovely in July to go to Liberty when it is so hot, and even better to do Lake Placid International Dance Competition in August. And if you have kids, they are out of school.

I wonder why US shows do not do this.

Exactly,S/Z said they chose August because most skaters had little work to do in August, therefore will more likely be able to attend the one in China.

If there are more shows in August, skaters can find more job and income.l

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Is there a ice rink in Guangzhou? I know that Chen Lu has a rink and runs her skating school in Shenzhen, so I am guessing perhaps Shenzhen will be included. Don't know anything about HK, except that they do have skaters.
Anyway, Shenzhen is a convenient stop from both Guangzhou and Hk, why not try there.

Oh gosh I never thought about that :laugh: Is there one? I have no clue. All I know is that there's a tiny rink in Grandview Mall, but there's absolutely no way an ice show will be held there. I never knew Chen Lu had a skating school in Shenzhen! Would I be able to see her if I went there? Does she teach beginner lessons? :laugh:

bibi24

Final Flight
I never knew Chen Lu had a skating school in Shenzhen! Would I be able to see her if I went there? Does she teach beginner lessons? :laugh:

http://www.worldicearena.com/eng/world/world.aspx?ModuleNo=5501

http://www.isiasia.org/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=4
Lessons by all coaches are reasonably priced, but persons taking freeskating lessons from World or National coaches may pay a higher fee. Inquiries for lessons with Champion coaches should only go to Alex Yeung at [email protected]