Plushenko loses eligibility | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Plushenko loses eligibility

gmyers

Record Breaker
Late last night I was thinking of Zhenya and his skating, so I went to youtube (of course, lol) and immediately looked up two of the greatest events he did this past season (Cup of Russia/Rostelecom Cup & European Championships).

I hadn't rewatched the above at all until then, and I'm glad I didn't because rewatching them again gave me almost the same adrenaline rush, heart-pounding excitement (lol, Paul Wylie's commentary proved he's a fan of Zhenya too)! To see that first competition, after not seeing him skate competitively in four years, that was thee very best! Nothing compares to that first time, nothing (pulling an all-nighter and watching it live on IN and also posting at the same time on GS). And then to see him at the Olympics live for the very first time in my life was not only a miracle but honestly a joy beyond joy; I can still see it in my mind's eye, his standing tall & regal by the boards with all the rest of the top dogs, the King, warming up, practicing, and then him skating right in front of me at the Olympics. And then the jumps, like they were suspended in midair, time stood still, gasps all around me, miracle of miracles he landed them like a cat. Finally, history being made, to be a little part of it, to see Evgeni Plushenko become an Immortal on February 18th, 2010. Just thinking of it gives me shivers. :)

So of course after all that I dreamed about all the skaters that competed in 4 Olympiads ~ Elvis Stojko and Julia Sebestian two of the very few, in fact the only ones in recent history ~ and of course the great Gillis Grafstrom and Sonja Henie. And from there I dreamed of Evgeni Plushenko competing in his 4th Olympiad in Sochi, Russia, 2014. IF he can medal, that would tie him with Gillis Grafstrom as the greatest figure skater of all-time, man or woman. Because as it stands now, Mr. Grafstrom is the only figure skater to have medalled at Olympiads (1920, 1924, 1928, 1932). Zhenya will be chasing history...

This post gave me a little bit of a rush. Great description and just makes me worry about getting my hopes up for another return. I have watched his short program at Rostelecom cup at least a dozen times! I could repeat most of what Wylie said. I mean he has such command of the ice and I have never seen him live like you just on TV. He would just be 31. But people were saying "oh he is 27 the young men will beat him." Well that was not true in the GP or Russia or Europe and just by one point at the Olympics.

I think you've put your finger on something, Nadine. You mentioned that he looked "regal" by the boards. Yes, that's the impression he gives, and it's more than simple cockiness. I'm not really a fan of Plushenko's in the sense that I'm a fan of, say, Browning or Wylie. But even I am in awe of his talents. He may come across as though he's the greatest thing to hit skating since school figures, but he also delivers. When he started skating his short program at the Olympics this year, he looked so comfortable and dominating on the ice, not nervous or intimidated at all. That's immensely impressive in such a high-pressure situation. There's a saying that there are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. Plushenko disproves that. He's certainly old enough to have been knocked around by life, and yet he's as cool as those fifteen-year-olds who barrel ahead because they don't know any better. Nothing stops him. And, as you say, he lands jumps like a cat. He's also got his own brand of artistry, and the music and its interpretation are important to him. Again, his interpretation might not be your cup of tea, but it's emphatically there. He's like a Bartok or a Charles Ives in a world of Massenets and Puccinis.

So I do hope he's at Sochi. It would be great to see what he does in four years. What's so tough about thirty? Zhao was even older, and he had to do lifts and throws.

Ellen

Rinkside
This is my first post in the Forum :)

This is my view of Plyushenko's situation:
In one of his post-Olympics interviews shown on TV in Russia he said that to win at Worlds he must do 2 quadriple jumps. He also said that he had medical examination after the Olympics, and doctors proved that heavy physical loads that skaters have at competitions are very bad for his knee. In shows he did not need to do quads and very hard elements. His exhibition programs are technically easier and OK for his knee.

So he felt quite healthy for the shows but not enough for the competition. To go to Worlds in Torino and lose there - was not a variant.
That explanation was not enough for ISU, so he was disqualified.

In my opinion now he is not sure that he will ever return to the amateur skating, therefore he didn't file an appeal. Considering his age, his multiple injuries and surgeries, he will not compete at Sochi. Russia will have to raise another star to win in Sochi.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum, Ellen!

And thanks for the interesting information from the interview. I'd be sorry if things turn out that way, but certainly it will be great if Plushy continues skating as a pro, too. Can you imagine the appeal he'd add to any ice show or TV special. Also, he's a guy who will innovate as a pro skater, as Browning has done, or Underhill and Martini. Even if he can't do quads, he'll perform programs that are challenging and artistically impressive. He won't just skate around and smile.

Ellen

Rinkside
Thank you for this warm welcome!
I do not have much to add about Plyushenko to what was already written about him in this thread.
He once said that after he stops skating he wants to be coach. :) Not sure how serios he was then.
Yes, I think spectators all over the World will enjoy him in shows. I was in Moscow stadium on the 'Kings on Ice' show last March with him, Lambiel, Joubert and Weir. Plyushenko's energy, very high speed of skating, artistry was great as usual, even better than 4 years ago... But in that evening I was mostly impressed by Stephane Lambiel. He skated under very romantic French song and was fantastic. Everybody welcomed him better than the other skaters, and in the end of his performance the skating-rink was full with flowers from his fans-girls. :) Brian Joubert was also very good, he managed to land several quads, did his famous steps and every other elements very well and visually easy. I wish he skated that well at the Olympics. Johnny Weir was also the king, and in my opinion in Vancuver he deserved a higher place than 6th. I think he must had been put 5th. Sorry for this off-topic comment.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lambiel is in Russia what Plush is in Japan/Korea, the allien skater;)

To my jawdrop reaction Evgeni skated his old Nijinski in Japan upon request and he did catch his foot in a bileman attempt spiral, I would die to do this in Olympics:jaw: I dont know what he ll do in Sochi, i dont think he even concidered it before Vancouver and nobody really took it seriously but now I think he got pissed off in Vancouver and wants to go there..I see him maybe discouraged by new generation who will not be the transitioned one from 6.0 to CoP like after 2006, the new kids have grown completely into CoP.

Anyway this is his only interview about disqualification, among other things about shows etc and Japan open he said
You know, I'm an athlete, my job is to skate, to please the fans. I have a team, coach, and for the paperwork, bureaucracy there is a federation, it is their duty. I have no wish to enter into any debate, I have not filed an appeal, because I think I have been working with the ISU, and to fight with them - it wouldn't be to my favor. Wait and see, of course. My task is to train, my goal is to compete, and my dream to compete in Sochi in 2014. No one had tried to contact me, and I'm not eager to contact them either. But once again I want to say, we continue to work together, but the very least I can say, I'm going to fight for my spot in the team and I will make every effort to compete in Sochi-2014.

I think that my desire is not enough, because I'm not an ISU favorite and nobody really wants to see me at the international competitions too badly, because yes, I am uncomfortable, yes, I'm complicated, yes, I can sometimes skate well. Yes, many people don't really need that. Yes, we need new names. I understand it very well. But I intend to be in Sochi, and not as a tourist, I want to fight.
i feel like ages year old when he says this stuff, cause I remember the comments about the russian wonderboy from juniors like it was yesterday:unsure:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
OT - but what ever happened with Lutai? Is he still suspended or did they let him return?
I think his case in USA was probably thrown out so maybe he is back training with Mishin?

Ellen

Rinkside
OT - but what ever happened with Lutai? Is he still suspended or did they let him return?
I think his case in USA was probably thrown out so maybe he is back training with Mishin?

As far as I know, Lutai married Albena Denkova's sister and he is going to compete for Bulgaria :disapp:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lutai got married in Bulgaria with Denskova's sister, is expecting a baby (or it arrived i dont know) and it was said he would switch on ice dance for bulgaria

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the updates on Lutai. Good luck to him and his family.
If he skates for Bulagria - why would he switch to Ice Dancing? Surely he would be good enough to be a singles skater there?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanks for the updates on Lutai. Good luck to him and his family.
If he skates for Bulagria - why would he switch to Ice Dancing? Surely he would be good enough to be a singles skater there?
yes, there is always one possibility I have mixed the info together with the various splits and changes in pairs :eek:: ..or Khokhlova/ Andreev

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Good to see you here, Ellen. :)

I just came from IN (lol, almost forgot my membership; haven't been there since Euros) and had an enjoyable time watching Zhenya once again skate at Rostelecom Cup. The reception quality & clarity is much much better than on youtube, but unfortunately they don't have too many events taped for my viewing pleasure. In fact, I was hoping they were going to be covering the JGP, but doesn't look like it. I hope soon they release a newsletter about what they will be covering this season, as well as times, et al.

Back to Evgeni, as I stated with my initial post, I believe he & Mishin have a game plan. He can reinstate any time he chooses to do so per the ISU's rules & regulations. Now is not the time, rather before the next Olympics would be ideal. Until then, rest his body, take it easy with shows, et al, then get back in shape plenty of time before the next Olympiad.

The very best athletes know how to take care of their bodies, not overdo it, make them last longer. Otherwise they take themselves out of the game early on with groin injuries, hip surgery replacement, stress fractures, spinal injuries, broken bones, knee replacement, sprained ankles, and on & on & on. Though I have to concede 50% of it is luck, the other half is knowing how to maintain your body over the long haul.

Official retirement is really a thing of the past, it's best to keep all of one's options open, and that includes competing again. Just like this past Olympiad, we saw familiar names try to come back, with some successfully doing so (e.g. Evgeni and S/Z) while others faultered (e.g. Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert). Yet just making the Olympic Team is an accomplishment in and of itself (e.g. Julia Sebestian), so it's ALL good! :)

Ellen

Rinkside
As for Plyushenko's return to skating to compete in Vancuver - I think it was both: his will (and his wife's) to take this challenge to win Olympic gold again, and also Russian Figure Skating federation asked him to take part in the Olympics. The fact that he was given the most amount of money (compared to other skaters) for the preparation to the Olympics also sais something. He was the only hope for Russia to win Gold in FS.

I think that wether he will compete in Sochi or not will depend on his chances to win. He will go there only to win or at least to be on the podium. Also now his wife Yana said that she wants him to be in Sochi, but who knows how his private life may change in four years :)

I personally think that he already did very much for our country by winning three Olympic medals, many Worlds & Euro champion's titles, so really he has the right to skate for himself in commercial shows or do whatever he wants and earn money.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Tony Wheeler posted an article and wonders why ISU is ok with Plushenko skate in Japan Open, an ISU event and what this means but I dont understand his thought since there is not such thing as professional skating anymore..and accoring to same page Plushenko doesnt know either why he can go.
http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/09/japan-open-and-evgeny-plushenko-sealing.html

Thanks for the link. After reading Tony's comments and some of the replies all I can say is how confusing!
And this............ ISU = International Stupidity Union

seniorita

Record Breaker
And this............ ISU = International Stupidity Union
:laugh:
yes it is stupid for me, imagine if ISU invites Plushenko to JO and then tells him, Bravo Evgeni, thankyou, now you cannot compete in Sochi, or anywhere in ISU competitions because you broke the rules, voila, how arrogant of you....

although I think I agree with a user saying that PLushenko is already ineligible, what other punishment they will apply, cut his mullet? And for what reason anyway, JO is sactioned Isu event.Although there are many reasons to cut the mullet, but not JO participation I guess.