Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
There are lions and then there are sheep.

I'm not someone who finds it intelligent to constantly agree with a group of people who have established their judging benchmark as being open to vote buying, ignoring better performances from skaters who aren't "the favorites", and often not even having a clear understanding of both artistry and the technical specifics of the sport.

Fair enough, but my point was about blind agreement. There's blind disagreement as well, based on those who conflate opinion and facts (I don't mean you, Blades, but in general), based on nationalism (check out Nadine's comments on Canada/Canadian skaters for an example). I don't think either of those things are worthy of praise. I'm speaking as someone who has fallen into both categories (blind agreement? Well, I didn't quite understand that result but I don't know enough, so I'll assume they're right; disagreement - see SLC Pairs competition)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was playing along! :laugh: come on girl give me some credit.

MM does my bidding because I blackmail him *evil laugh*

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ha, I thought You had said something bad about Michelle and he went and put Browning's house on fire:cool:

please dont ban me

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ha, I thought You had said something bad about Michelle and he went and put Browning's house on fire:cool:

please dont ban me

LOL :laugh:
thats true, though. The media never said who was to blame... And just who was that painter. Alright MM, fess up!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As to his Olympic placement, Weir shouldn't have finished behind Chan, and really that's all I can give him.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I honestly thought Johnny was better than Takahashi at the Olympics. Johnny skated clean, whereas Takahashi fell on his quad (and correct me if I'm wrong had a few other shaky landings).

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe not better than Daisuke (although that dazed look on his face after he fell certainly ruined the rhythm of his program), but certainly better than Stephane (worst landings by a former world champion ever - he was really off his game). Johnny flowed from beginning to end (except for small bobble caused by hole in ice).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Maybe not better than Daisuke (although that dazed look on his face after he fell certainly ruined the rhythm of his program).

Daisuke was smiling as soon as he got up from the Quad. It didn't really hinder the program much at all.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny flowed from beginning to end (except for small bobble caused by hole in ice).
No, in fs Weir also had a fault in 3flip, which cost him -1.20 and that spin -0.54 points (in sp Weir´s 3flip mistake cost him -2 points):

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Technically Weir was 4th best in fs (with only Lysacek, Plushenko and Oda ahead of him), but it was the PCS where many skaters were ahead of him (Lysacek, Plushenko, Lambiel, Chan, Takahashi and Abbott). AND in fs Weir´s performance / programme was immediately after Takahashi who rightfully got the best PCS of the evening....

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/SEG002.HTM

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Daisuke was smiling as soon as he got up from the Quad. It didn't really hinder the program much at all.

That's how I remember it - that and how well Dai performed both of his programs in Vancouver.

I enjoyed his skating the most of all the men. Without getting into the placement argument I thought Dai absolutely skated his heart out and earned a place on the Olympic podium.
His skating was so good - and even amazing coming off major knee surgery. :bow:

I absolutely agree, Janetfan. He's one of those "I'd watch if he skated the telephone book" guys, like Yagudin or Wylie, or Browning. Even just the way he moves across the ice pulls me in. I just hope he stays strong and healthy through to Sochi and that he tramples (in the nicest possible way) everyone else.