Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: When will Fumie retire already?

Custom Title
    I'm not sure if the original question in this thread is still of interest; however, at Skate Canada Fumie said she would like to continue for as long as possible, and certainly beyond this season.

Custom Title
    My post #10 on the first page of this thread:

From an Icenetwork article dated 10/30 during Skate Canada:
    At age 29, Japan's Fumie Suguri soldiers on, despite slipping from second in the world in 2006 to seventh place at the Japanese Championships last season.

"I was not happy with how I skated at nationals, especially because I always want a good performance, not only results. I have been doing the sport for long years and that is not how I wanted to finish."

How long will she continue? "I don't know, as long as possible."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    You forgot one more point- he knows he will never win again.
    Yes, I think you are absolutely right. Male singles skaters who win the Olympics at the age of 25, would be really unrealistic to believe that they could do it again in next Olympics (at the age of 29).
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally Posted by gmyers
    But the judges knew what title they were giving out. If they didn't think Lysacek was great skater and just thought he was best on one night they wouldn't have given it to him of all people. There is no evidence of Lysacek reacihing his peak at the exact moment he would win olympic gold. He could reach his peak next year or the year after or 2014 if he might kept have competing.
    They do it all the time. Do you really think the judges think Sarah or even Tara were overall the best skaters. Sarah got lucky on one night imo. Tara had excitement imo Edited to add...Tara was really kind of a co favorite.

Michelle, Irina or even Sasha (2006) were the favorites at the Olympics.

As for your assertion the judges would only give the gold to someone they consider a legendary skater or one of the greatest skaters ever, not merely the skater they felt performed the best that night ever hear of the following skaters- Sarah Hughes, Annett Poetzsch, Alexei Urmanov. Nuff said. Evan won since he gave the best performance that night (arguably) not because he the judges or anyone considers him a historic great of the sport.
    ITA
    Last edited by lavender; 11-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Custom Title
    It's a shame she was in such poor form last week, because I liked the SP. It actually had choreography-- the best she's had in a long time.

The LP costume was a really unfortunate addition to a bad performance. But it could be a good program if she'd cut down on the faux-arabian stuff and just interpret the music, which has some dark and exciting moments.

Also, I wish she would bring back the scratch spin for at least one program!

Banned
    Next year she probably wont get any GP assignments after her 10th or 12 place finish at this years upcoming Nationals so where is her career going to continue. Regional events in Japan? Since she is delusional if she believes her international career is going to continue any longer. Japan isnt going to waste spots on skaters who could come last in their grand prix assignments.

I am pretty sure she will retire once she have to compete in regionals and sectionals and lose her sponsorships.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I am pretty sure she will retire once she have to compete in regionals and sectionals and lose her sponsorships.
    In that case this will be her final season after all.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Well, at one time it was not unusual to see Russian and European skaters still competing in their thirties. Our skaters (North American) usually moved on once they won the Worlds and Olympics because they could not afford to keep competing and also felt obligated to repay their parents. Usually in those days they would get a star role in an ice show like Ice Capades. Things are different again for each individual skater. Skaters seem to come and go in the competitive field - taking some time off to earn some money and then return for the Olympics. So in answer to your question - I would venture to say Fumie could be around for awhile longer. It also depends on the Japanese Skating federation. Skate Canada has criteria that skaters must meet over the course of the competitive season, I imagine Japan and other countries are the same with their skaters. If Fumie does dismally in the upcoming season, who knows? Maybe she will move on.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Suguri isnt a Lysacek-star but she certainly could have made a nice pro career for herself either in Asia or wherever she chose. If even Jennifer Robinson can.....
    Well ... She was to some extent, holding more titles but not that inflated one. The point does remain though ... go with your heart and I am not sure why that hasn't lead her to go "pro."???? She is very charming and has a GREAT sounding voice, there seems to be other options but your heart goes where your heart goes. I don't think it could be a matter of accomplishing anything she hasn't or needing to redeem herself - how could that happen? Just something she wants to do and is still good enough to stay in the pack.

Funny thing I remember saying similar things about the "Kween" that others are saying about the "Empress" yet that topic went away. Fumie cannot rid herself of these comments from the end of the 04-05 season, YET Fumie is still able to compete, qualify and place. Even with a scoring change. One can still rise to meet the challange but they are critisized (by SOME) for doing so when another was so sensationalized in treatment (although a phenomenal skater) that I was the only one who was saying something about Kwan (again I will state she is a favorite who is not only hanging on my wall but I an=m so taken by her I am still with a girl that at first reminded me of her) decorously I will add, and catching big heat for expressing it. All and all it had to do with an injury anyhow and that is something that is not compairable to Fumie. So I am with MikiAndoFan#1, just let her skate.

At first I defended Fumie's decision to stay in, but now I'm starting to see what a lot of other people are seeing. She doesn't even LOOK like she's into it anymore. If she wants to continue she'll have to make some changes unless she wants to keep falling down the standings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3