Blade advice needed for my 9 years old figure skater(Canada Star 5 Freeskate element level) | Golden Skate

Blade advice needed for my 9 years old figure skater(Canada Star 5 Freeskate element level)

viviennec

Spectator
Hello everyone
As a figure skater mom, with minimal knowledge about skating before she started, I’ve been researching everywhere and found this amazing forum😍

My skater is currently 9, She’ve been skating for roughly 5 years now(with Covid and injuries and etc)

She’s a competitive skater, She is currently in Canada Star 5 Freeskate elements.
currently she’s working on all her doubles(salchow, toe, loop, lutz), changing foot sequence and sit forward bullet spin and have all her single axel, camel sit and etc….

She’s a slow grow, She’ve been in her Jackson debut since Covid and been skating on her Aspire XP forever.

Since she finally outgrown her current Debut, we are changing her into Edea Chorus due to the manufacturer of Jackson Boot had changed and the leather quality had changed from my old one to the new version which she doesn’t like about it, that’s why we choose Edea. Pro shop was planning to mount her current Aspire XP onto her new boot since her coach said it’s still fine to go with her XP, but at the end pro shop said her current blade would be slightly longer for her Edea boot.

So my question is, since we need to change our blade anyways, I would like to get her a better blade to help her with her elements on the road (as per her current level and on)

We got the Aspire XP when she was doing all her singles before axel, and now feel like it’s struggling her a bit with her doubles and edges, she’s a fast spinner but I figured sometimes at the end she couldn’t smoothen her landing stretch at her current level with this blade.

I’ve heard about Coronation Ace/Coronation Ace Lite, MK Professional, Legacy 7/8.
I’m actually going to pick up her new boot tomorrow and we will go from there, so I would like to get some wise opinions from here which blades is more suitable for my daughter? She like the lite version better(I know because of the look, but I don’t know if it will benefit her. Edea boots are slightly heavier than Jackson debut and this is her first time in Edea ever, she will need more time to break into these new boots so I’m thinking If getting lite blade for her would get her easier for the weight and break in time but in a long run is the lite version better or no.

Thank you for your time and appreciate all the opinions🙇🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Coro Ace or MK Pro standard/traditional, not lite versions. Although I hear there is a pretty major shortage of the standards, depending on your size.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I got my blades from Boutique Step Up online in Canada. I was lucky to get my size and seems like they have a bunch of sizes left for Coronation Ace.

viviennec

Spectator
Thank you for all the response
Since my daughter’s size is WAY too small they don’t have much size for me at all at my local skate shop But at least got a blade they is right for her level😊😊

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for all the response
Since my daughter’s size is WAY too small they don’t have much size for me at all at my local skate shop But at least got a blade they is right for her level😊😊
It's not clear to me which blade you got.

viviennec

Spectator
Although I really wanted to get the Coronation Ace, but because they don’t have any stock for her size either for CA or MK PRO (blade size 8), the only one they had is legacy 8, I know it’s not the best but already better than her previous Aspire XP😅 she break in her skate in 1 day which I was surprised, she already able to do her axel on her first day, still working to smoothen her spins.
She’s complimenting her new skates so far on better edges and toe pick feels different but easier to control, and her jumps and rotations are faster than before she said, but need more time to better control her speed at it.

Still have another week before going back for regular lesson, but so far she’s happy with her new skates so far, hopefully legacy 8 can last for awhile before we need to change her blades again.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I’m located in Vancouver and we immediately needs to replace her current skate that’s why we got the legacy 8 for her
I've used Cyclone Taylor Figure Skating Skate Shop (they have two separate shops for figure skating and hockey) at 49th and Oak St for decades.

Just to cast a vote, the majority here seem to prefer Coronation Ace blades but I tried them once and they felt too bulky, which may have just been my imagination. I'm wedded for life to MK Pro.

viviennec

Spectator
I've used Cyclone Taylor Figure Skating Skate Shop (they have two separate shops for figure skating and hockey) at 49th and Oak St for decades.

Just to cast a vote, the majority here seem to prefer Coronation Ace blades but I tried them once and they felt too bulky, which may have just been my imagination. I'm wedded for life to MK Pro.
To be honest, I avoid going to cyclone Taylor for awhile coz they screwed up 2 of my skates/blades, we had a lot of parents having issues with this shop, I know their “google reviews” tends to be on the good side, and our club do have connections with them, but still a lot of parents and skaters have had issues with them, screwed blades, fitted a wrong boots for skaters and can only use for 3 months and said not all staff are capable and didn’t take responsibility for it…..not trying to badmouth them, maybe it’s just our club’s parents are unlucky…

There’s only 2 in lower mainland, I end up went to the one In poco and got my new skates and blades even though I still have sharpening pass with them but I just never went back there anymore.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
To be honest, I avoid going to cyclone Taylor for awhile coz they screwed up 2 of my skates/blades, we had a lot of parents having issues with this shop, I know their “google reviews” tends to be on the good side, and our club do have connections with them, but still a lot of parents and skaters have had issues with them, screwed blades, fitted a wrong boots for skaters and can only use for 3 months and said not all staff are capable and didn’t take responsibility for it…..not trying to badmouth them, maybe it’s just our club’s parents are unlucky…

There’s only 2 in lower mainland, I end up went to the one In poco and got my new skates and blades even though I still have sharpening pass with them but I just never went back there anymore.
Sorry to hear that! I've never had any problems with them at all. I guess I got the right people, particularly since I can go there on days and at times when they're not busy, and I always make an appointment beforehand even just to browse. Or maybe it helps to be an adult skater who knows exactly what she wants and can articulate when something doesn't feel right during fitting. I live in Richmond and usually skate at Arbutus, so the shop in PoCo has always been too far for me to get to. I just got new boots (Risport) and blades (MK Pro) earlier this year and I don't break them down quickly, so I hope I can continue having good luck with Cyclone Taylor's whenever I eventually need to go back.

viviennec

Spectator
Sorry to hear that! I've never had any problems with them at all. I guess I got the right people, particularly since I can go there on days and at times when they're not busy, and I always make an appointment beforehand even just to browse. Or maybe it helps to be an adult skater who knows exactly what she wants and can articulate when something doesn't feel right during fitting. I live in Richmond and usually skate at Arbutus, so the shop in PoCo has always been too far for me to get to. I just got new boots (Risport) and blades (MK Pro) earlier this year and I don't break them down quickly, so I hope I can continue having good luck with Cyclone Taylor's whenever I eventually need to go back.
That’s great to hear! I hope you continue to have the luck with them! I also book an appointment with them before I heads over and have someone to professionally fits my girl, but I guess you are right, being an adult knowing exactly how it feels makes a huge difference.
My case was her blade wasn’t even supposed to be fit as her boots size, which they already gave her a size bigger than her actual size as well…and the blade was 1.5 sizes bigger and as a mom not growing up with skating I had no idea until the time I changed her boot at Poco then I realized that.
But now we are all set, she changed into Edea chorus with Legacy 8 at the moment and it works pretty well for her.
We lived in Richmond as well, so Cyclone is always closer for us compare to PoCo, but I just don’t want anything to screw up with her skates anymore therefore I just rather heads to Poco or another Professional that’s currently working at our rink at the moment❤️❤️