Men's Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

Germanice

On the Ice
OK, it's no secret; I don't like Chan. But he was quite good today and deserved to be 1st, but not by that margin. Glad for Oda, still prefer Dai over him, he was underscored ...

Depressing competition ...

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Glad that Ryan held his own. Top 10 finish likely if he doesn't totally fall apart on the fs.
Major dissapointment with the Swedes..especially Adrian...
:(
I hope he comes back fresh and ready to go next season. *hugs*

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thanks to Mirunna for posting the link again! So I could at least watch the last few skaters. Chan has such a big lead, but then it's very close.

lavender

Record Breaker
As long as Chan skates good the others are pretty much fighting for 2nd and 3rd. The American men are going to have to fight just to keep 3 places. I wonder if Bradley still thinks he has a shot at the podium.

herios

Medalist
First conclusion of the SP, Chan has blown away the field, for the next two medals lots of candidates.
The american trio will not be able to hang onto 3 spots for next year almost sure, unless many will meltdown ahead of them, same goes for Canada.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Oda just ahead of Takahashi, but not by much. Dai must have had a downgrade, there's no way that a flawed Nobu would have beaten him otherwise. It's so great to see the Japanese men doing well, though. I think that they are showing such strength by performing well here in the face of such tragedy in their home country. I wish them all the best in the FS. They're all beautiful skaters.

It'll be hard to beat Chan after this, but I wouldn't call him champion just yet. If he completely tanks, he could loose it. The lead, though, does allow for some mistakes on his part. I really hope that he can pull out a FS thats at least near the level with which he skated at Canadian nationals. (For those who didn't see that skate, he had a brilliant, clean FS with a 4/3 a 4 and a 3 axel in addition to everything else) If he does that, there can be no question that he will be the best. What a great start to worlds!

babayaga

On the Ice
I agree that Patric should be in first, but I disagree that he is ahead of Daisuke on Performance/Execution. Nobody can come close to Dai in that mark in my opinion.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Protocol time, people.

Takahashi: Not one thing did him in, but everything. His GOEs were low. No level fours. An edge call. AND they hit him on PCS. Not much to say here.

Amodio vs Gachinsky: The big difference comes from the combos. Gachinsky gets 4.3 more points from that. Knock off the points he lost from the loop. Recall that Amodio gets an edge call on his flip AND that the loop is only .2 less than the flip to begin with. So, is Amodio's PCS advantage that much higher over Gachinsky's TES? I don't think so, and neither did the judges.

Chan: Largely what Blades said. Generous GOEs. Level fours except for one spin.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocal time.

First of all, WHAT is up with all the edge calls on the flip? Seven of them.

One Judge gave Chan a 10s on the skating skills (probably deserved) and performance (uh, no.) But those GOEs are incredible. All postive, and mostly 2's and afew threes thrown in there.

Oda had some Negative GOE that lost him a few points. Also a level two on the Combo spin.

Daisuke, only had negative GOE on the 3F-3T, which got an edge call, but no level fours.

Richard Dornbush got one of the edge calls on his flip and negative GOE on his 3A and 3F. He would have led Bradley by about two points if not for those two negative GOEs.

Bradley actually got positive GOE (though not much) on everything. Good for him. He did get a level 2 on his step sequence, which is about right. One judge did give him a 7 for performance and another gave him a 7 for Skating skills, but mostly 6s for PCS.

Miner got Negative GOE on the 3F (another edge call) and a -0.01 on on his upright spin.

3 Spots for the Americans is really unlikely, but not impossible. But I think top 10 finishes for Bradley and Dornbush is possible.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's all the little things.

For example, I think we'd all agree Patrick's steps are awesome. But if you notice, he and Dai got the exact same GOES: three 3's, six 2's. Because Chan's are level four vs Dai's level three, however, his overall GOE is doubled: 2.29 to 1.14(528etc) While I'm fine with higher GOEs given for harder elements, I'd like to see a more direct progression (there's NO change in weighted GOEs awarded for levels one through three).

herios

Medalist
Protocal time.

First of all, WHAT is up with all the edge calls on the flip? Seven of them.

One Judge gave Chan a 10s on the skating skills (probably deserved) and performance (uh, no.) But those GOEs are incredible. All postive, and mostly 2's and afew threes thrown in there.

Oda had some Negative GOE that lost him a few points. Also a level two on the Combo spin.

Daisuke, only had negative GOE on the 3F-3T, which got an edge call, but no level fours.

Richard Dornbush got one of the edge calls on his flip and negative GOE on his 3A and 3F. He would have led Bradley by about two points if not for those two negative GOEs.

Bradley actually got positive GOE (though not much) on everything. Good for him. He did get a level 2 on his step sequence, which is about right. One judge did give him a 7 for performance and another gave him a 7 for Skating skills, but mostly 6s for PCS.

Miner got Negative GOE on the 3F (another edge call) and a -0.01 on on his upright spin.

3 Spots for the Americans is really unlikely, but not impossible. But I think top 10 finishes for Bradley and Dornbush is possible.

Both Canada and US will more than likely lose their 3 spots. For US to be able to qualify 3, their top 2 skaters will need to climb over 5 skaters each. So you may kiss goodbye to that.