Kim optimistic about PyeongChang's chances | Golden Skate

Kim optimistic about PyeongChang's chances

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahead of PyeongChang's Olympic bid presentation in Togo this week, figure skater Kim Yu-na said Monday that she was optimistic about the South Korean candidate city's chances to host the 2018 Winter Olympics.

cooper

Medalist
I hope pyeongchang gets the bid for the sake of south koreans who really wanted this..

csunny7

Rinkside
I hope pyeongchang gets the bid for the sake of south koreans who really wanted this..

I hope so too. Yuna is working hard. :thumbsup: :)

an article on it: Yuna Kim "Working Hard" To Prepare For PyeongChang 2018 Presentationshttp://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/2018_bid_news/1216135760.html

The Olympic champion figure skater, television personality, pop singer and national superstar is taking her role seriously and trying to rally support behind her team's efforts.

"Please send your good wishes to all of our Pyeongchang bid team members so that we can bring back good results!!", Kim wrote on her Website.

"I’ll do my best so that I can bring back good news!!!"

Despite her busy career, Kim is taking the time to travel to Africa with the bid team for the next two weeks.

"There are only a few more days left until the results of the PyeongChang bid come out," she said.

"Nowadays I’m working hard on my training and presentation rehearsals

"I do feel a little less nervous thanks to my previous presentation experience. But I think that my heart will be pounding like crazy when I actually have to do it though."

She was very optimistic before he departure on Monday.

"We've all worked hard so far, and I am confident we will have good results in the end," she told Yonhap News.

Krislite

Medalist
Hope her hard work paid off.
But Is PyeongChang suitable for winter Olympic?

The IOC has clearly decided that question already. All three cities are suitable. It's just a matter of picking the best candidate at this point.

The final selection will be made on July 6th.

Robeye

Final Flight
Who are the finalists for this round?
Pyeongchang in Korea, Annecy in France, and Munich in Germany. Katarina Witt has been acting as the lead singer for Munich's bid ;), much like Yuna has for Pyeongchang.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Annecy, Munich, and Pyeongchang (trying for the third time).

Nothing against Sochi, but Pyeongchang should have won for 2014... Yuna going for consecutive gold medal to match Katarina Witt's record at her home country... that would have been the biggest sporting news in the history of Korea. :p

janetfan

Match Penalty
Annecy, Munich, and Pyeongchang (trying for the third time).

Nothing against Sochi, but Pyeongchang should have won for 2014... Yuna going for consecutive gold medal to match Katarina Witt's record at her home country... that would have been the biggest sporting news in the history of Korea. :p

Good luck to all three. As a three time bidder Pyeon Chang may be due to win.
Munich is hoping to make history by being the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Annecy is one of the most charming towns in all of Europe and has the best wine and cheese. :)

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
I would love it, if Munich won. I've been there and it's just beautiful. Not only is Katarina one of my all time favourite skaters, but Germany knows how to pull of major sporting events. They hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup and their also hosting the 2011 Women's FIFA World Cup.

cooper

Medalist
I would love it, if Munich won. I've been there and it's just beautiful. Not only is Katarina one of my all time favourite skaters, but Germany knows how to pull of major sporting events. They hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup and their also hosting the 2011 Women's FIFA World Cup.

South korea hosted the Summer olys in 1988 and co-hosted the FIFA World Cup together w/ Japan in 2002. The only hindrance for Pyeongchang's bid is the inexperience of hosting Winter games. I expect Munich will do great if they will get the bid, Annecy is a question mark for me because of the lack of support from almost everyone. I just don't want to see Pyeongchang failing again for the 3rd time. That will be hard to take.. they really wanted this.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I agree Germany is more than capable of pulling off major sporting events, German efficiency and reliability is world famous. I also enjoyed my time in Munich too (great beer and meat dishes yumm...) but that is not the point.

If the criteria for selection are to go to the most capable country, we might as well have the Olympic game in the same country All the time.

The Olympic is bigger than that. It can be something beyond. It bring new friends together, and it should be about the heart!

Having the most home support out of the three countries, 3rd bid, 3 times amount of passion, enduring 12 years marathon for an Olympic Dream. Yuna kim is a product of that Olympic dream that manifest itself in Vancouver. It would also be a great op to host in Asia, a non traditional winter sport continent. Wth the booming economy of Asia, and new waves of youth who are now in a position to afford and experiment in wintersport, what better ways to push it more globally.

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
Having the most home support out of the three countries, 3rd bid, 3 times amount of passion, enduring 12 years marathon for an Olympic Dream. Yuna kim is a product of that Olympic dream that manifest itself in Vancouver. It would also be a great op to host in Asia, a non traditional winter sport continent. Wth the booming economy of Asia, and new waves of youth who are now in a position to afford and experiment in wintersport, what better ways to push it more globally.

I can't agree with you more.:thumbsup:
"New Horizen" is what we need for Olympics. Despite two time failures, PyeongChang never gave up, and has prepared & kept all promises of improving facilities for more than 10 years. I think PC's changlleging sprit is a sort of great example of Olympic spirit. I am told it is a beautiful mountain city and now has the most convenient high -technology & compact venue for atheletes & visitors. I keep my fingers crossed for PyeongChang:)

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't like the idea of the 3d "Munich Olympics". Both the 1936 and 1972 ones (for different reasons) are not exactly the proud moments of the Olympic movement. Annecy would be nice, but I know it's not considered a front runner. So I guess I'll be rooting for PyeongChang as well!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Honestly, I don't like the idea of the 3d "Munich Olympics". Both the 1936 and 1972 ones (for different reasons) are not exactly the proud moments of the Olympic movement.
The world has seriously changed since 1972. It's time to forgive and be generous. I do think Koreans have more chances just because the IOC needs to switch the continents: 2014 in Europe, so the next OG must be not in Europe. But my heart and mind go with Munich, one of my favourite cities in the world. I have been there even more times than I have been to Paris! The winter Olympics there will be luxury.:thumbsup:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, Munich didn't host the 1936 games, Berlin did (Garmisch-Partenkirchen held the Winter Games, and are currently working w/ Munich this time). I think Pyeonchang has this one in the bag, to be honest, but I'm still irritated the London beat Paris for 2012, so I'll be happy in Annecy gets it this time. Or Munich.

YunaBliss, beyond Kim, why did you prefer Pyeonchang to Sochi?