Andrei Rogozine | Golden Skate

Andrei Rogozine

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Canada has had such a great history of producing astounding skaters... Then there's Andrei Rogozine. Who, for me at least, is very underwhelming. I'm still befuddled by his win at junior worlds last season. His basic skating is slow, labored and awkward. Calling the move preceding his 3a a spread eagle is a bit of an insult to the majestic bird of prey. Perhaps spread kiwi is more apt.

gmyers

Record Breaker
His whole team seems Russian too except for SLB. Him going to Cup of Russia being his first time there since his parents moved from there when he was 5 interesting. Very solid jumper and the SE to 3A seems good to me! I was surprsied at 2011 Canadian nationals - thought he was a lot better than that and he was as he proved at Jr worlds.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Russians skaters traditionally have very strong basics. Then again, so do Canadians. Maybe Rogozine is secretly American. :biggrin:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Canada has had such a great history of producing astounding skaters... Then there's Andrei Rogozine. Who, for me at least, is very underwhelming. I'm still befuddled by his win at junior worlds last season. His basic skating is slow, labored and awkward. Calling the move preceding his 3a a spread eagle is a bit of an insult to the majestic bird of prey. Perhaps spread kiwi is more apt.

He won because Richard Dornbush who won 2010 JGPF with a score of 219.56 over Rogozine's 3rd place score of 181.?? then went on to place 2nd at US Sr. Nationals & opted to compete at Sr. Worlds (finishing 9th with a score 222.42) rather than compete for the Jr. World title. But Good Luck to him in his Sr. debut.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He won because Richard Dornbush who won 2010 JGPF with a score of 219.56 over Rogozine's 3rd place score of 181.?? then went on to place 2nd at US Sr. Nationals & opted to compete at Sr. Worlds (finishing 9th with a score 222.42) rather than compete for the Jr. World title. But Good Luck to him in his Sr. debut.

:confused:

WTH has it to do with Rogozine's win in 2011? Patrick Chan could have stayed at junior till he was aged out. Does that alternate scenario invalidate Adam Rippon's Junior title? Good Juniors moved on to Senior, just as Rogozine is doing now.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Rogozine is much better live than he is on tv. He also seems to tighten up in competitions. He performed at my clubs ice show last year and his basics are pretty good, not spectacular, but above average. His upper body is a bit stiff however, but his jumps are really nice, good spring and power.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
:confused:

WTH has it to do with Rogozine's win in 2011? Patrick Chan could have stayed at junior till he was aged out. Does that alternate scenario invalidate Adam Rippon's Junior title? Good Juniors moved on to Senior, just as Rogozine is doing now.

No, it doesn't invalidate Rogozine's Jr. World title. I was just stating a few verifiable facts & replying to another poster. As to Chan & Rippon, who's the more successful Sr. competitor? Rippon with 2 Jr. World titles or Chan with none? Simply winning a World Jr. title doesn't automatically make you a future Sr. World Champion. It's great that you have faith in Rogozine & I'll repeat my previous statement : Good Luck to him in his Sr. debut.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's not about my faith in Rogozine. He deserves encouragement and recognition for what he's achieved thus far. He has to compete with the big guys and other very talented peers in the Senior rank now. The best of them will rise up.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I base my snarky and uncharitable appraisal of Rogozine based on the junior worlds competition last season, where I found him quite lacking just compared to the other top male skaters there, never mind senior skaters elsewhere. The results there befuddle me, and I find many other junior skaters there more promising. Maybe Rogozine will prove me wrong with his progress and success.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
According to what I saw from Thornhill Summer Skate, I was delightfully surprised by his improvement though his jumps were quite messy. I can see he is still growing, still getting used to the longer limbs and bigger body. His movement now ismore explosive and developing a personal style. However, the stroking, transition and stamina still need some work.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skate Canada brass to focus on newcomers

“It is good because we’re at home with a home crowd. It is like a bigger national championship, in a sense, because of the international flavour,” Slipchuk said. “The skaters we tend to bring here are the ones that are just on the cusp of pushing that top group.”

There are debuts in every discipline. Reigning world junior champion Andrei Rogozine, 18, of Richmond Hill, Ont., and former Canadian junior champion Elladj Balde, 21, of Pierrefonds, Que., are looking to become Canada’s second and third choice behind Chan.

Sounds like Kevin Reynolds should be worried. And poor J10 is finally coming back to skating after a series of injuries to find the landscape changed. He's so upbeat and has rekindled his love of skating, being very happy and greteful to be on the ice again.

I never noticed him until SC, but I was very impressed. He's a fighter for sure. That mentality could take him far.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was very impressed with how he fought and worked his program too. As we hear how impressed the commentators, who were compatitive skaters, were with Patrick's fight at SC, it was the same spirit Andrei displayed, one of the important attributes of champions. Kudos to him.

herios

Medalist
I predict for Andrei a bright future, after seeing him this week end. Artistry is not something I am looking for at 18y of age. Rather solid jump technique. And he's got it.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rippon and Dornbush both had artistry at the age of 18. So did (and does) Han Yan.

Rogozine is a jumper --- and his jumps don't get much height or ice coverage -- but he is lacking in artistry and musicality.

Reynolds doesn't have to worry about Balde, who still hasn't managed to meet the minimum score requirement. He missed it at Nebelhorn and again at Skate Canada. Rogozine may be a challenge to Reynolds if Kevin can't land his jumps, because Kevin is not exactly a model of artistry either.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But I see development in his artistry and musicality from Rogozine. But he needs a lot more development before I'm really impressed.

Not every skater has to be an artiste. You have the Takahashis and you have the KVDPs. I'm not saying Rogozine will be a KVDP, but you can go pretty far without being highly refined. I have a hunch he's something special with that intensity of his, that the audience clearly responded to. The word "champion" came to me too, skatefiguring.