Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Seems like typical sour grapes from Carroll. Didn't he work in Fratianne Wuzrobbed as well? (yeah I gotta quit mentioning that but he is just so predictable in speaking this way.)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I couldn't understanding why Frank was complaining about ET's PCS. She received PCS scores that were in the mid 6's. Her highest PCS score in the LP was 7.00 in Performance, and this for a LP program for which no judge gave -GoE on any element. Whistle clean, skated with speed and attack. Yes, she's "juniorish" because she is young and small and she's not down into the ice yet, but her basic technique is very sound, she's musical and she pays attention to her music and doesn't skate through it. When Michelle was this age, Carroll complained that they didn't give Kwan the title because they didn't want a "little girl" as world champion. When it's his skater who is young, small and lacking in maturity, it's a whole different story.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I couldn't understanding why Frank was complaining about ET's PCS. She received PCS scores that were in the mid 6's. Her highest PCS score in the LP was 7.00 in Performance, and this for a LP program for which no judge gave -GoE on any element. Whistle clean, skated with speed and attack. Yes, she's "juniorish" because she is young and small and she's not down into the ice yet, but her basic technique is very sound, she's musical and she pays attention to her music and doesn't skate through it. When Michelle was this age, Carroll complained that they didn't give Kwan the title because they didn't want a "little girl" as world champion. When it's his skater who is young, small and lacking in maturity, it's a whole different story.

One thing watching Tukt's exhibition I got is this is a kid who clearly adores performing and dancing. There was a moment where you could tell she was just completely having fun/dancing to her music in her exhibition that was nice to see. She's got loads of potential in that department. I'm hopeful that Frank will at least say kinder things about Elena and Tarasova's prodigy Adelina. This is the coach who discovered and developed his student Denis Ten, and did a fabulous job.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm waiting for his comments on Adelina Sotnikova!!!!:p:laugh:

He really can't (shouldn't?) say anything negative about her. To me, she is the FULL package; nothing juniorish about her at all. Even watching her at 2009 Russian Nats she looked mature.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I think I have seen Sotnikova. Is she 13 and she just won a JGP this season? Very polished and mature.

Sotnikova is very polished and mature but are you thinking of Lipnitskaya? AS will skate in seniors this year. Julia L is the bee's knees, but I wouldn't call her very polished and mature yet. But she will be!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think I have seen Sotnikova. Is she 13 and she just won a JGP this season? Very polished and mature.

No. She's 15 and is the Junior World and Grand Prix Final Champion. Also the 2 time Russian Senior National Champion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHLHx8AMpw

Adelina makes her debut at the Cup of China.

I really think in a lot of ways she's the best of the young Russians. Supposedly her skating skills are incredible for her age. (She skates with power/speed). But is graceful too. Many say Tukt's got the better jumping technique but Sotnikova's the better skater. Not that Adelina's a bad jumper or Tukts a bad skater. Adelina's jumps are HUGE.

To be frank its really a crying shame because she's one day two young to compete at worlds this year. Sotnikova could win.

Last edited:

doubleflutz

On the Ice
I think Adelina's SP from last years Nationals actually does the best job of showing off her skating skills, fall on the combo and all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9YpmHXwBC4&feature=related

She just has great speed and flow, and the program is a really excellent example of the difference between "youthful" and "juniorish". It's extremely youthful, but not juniorish in the least little bit. Her jumps don't have the technique of Liza, but they're still beautiful, and what impresses me the most about her as a skater is how much in both her stroking and her jump setup she uses the rhythm of her music. She listens to and waits for the music, especially in the footwork section. You can tell that with the right training she'd be fantastic at pairs and ice dance, too. Not a lot of kids these days you can say that about.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You can tell that with the right training she'd be fantastic at pairs and ice dance, too. Not a lot of kids these days you can say that about.

Well she does train at. where some of the greatest Russian female pairs skaters were developed. Her coach was trained by Zhuk. So I guess the great stroking makes sense. The only concern is her programs don't have a huge amount of content choregraphy wise. Although the new short this year is better.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
For those who asked, Tiffany was coached by practically everybody. Frank coached her to her junior world title. Her mother was at the center of the coaching changes and has an entire wing devoted to her in the Meddling Skating Mom Hall of Fame. However, the coaching changes, burnout and emotional issues were not the only problems she had. She did have physical issues between the 85 and 86 seasons that affected her jumps. She lost difficulty over time as a result.

I posted the link of the 3a to illustrate her enormous potential at a young age, not to imply the Frank taught it to her. He did however help develop her and witnessed her decline after she left him and later left Nicks. He's seen it all before with Chin and many other skaters, male and female. So hes not likely to get too keyed up about anyone at this point in his life unless he either sees them develop a track record of success or if he's directly involved in their training. Is he blunt and sometimes tactless? Of course. But that should come as a surprise to no one at this point. To some degree he's earned that right whether we agree with him on substance/approach or not.

BTW, his complaints re: Fratianne's Oly loss was centered around an accusation against Fassi of vote trading. He claimed Carlo bribed judges to give Cousins the gold over Hoffman in exchange for giving Poetzsch the gold over Fratianne. He reportedly had quite the argument with Carlo and their relationship (formerly closer) was frosty for some time afterward.

anyanka

Record Breaker
That's rich. Wasn't the same criticism leveled at oh, say, one Michelle Kwan, AKA his former student? Also, weren't the same comments made about Oksana Baiul and Tara Lipinski?

While I can see where he's coming from, that the presentation style isn't there yet, I think his contempt is evident by his carrying on about it.

Vash01

Medalist
I thought that after Frank finally got his OGM skater (Evan), he may become softer. Instead he comes across as a bitter old man. May be he has always been that way and finally getting that OGM gives him a free hand to criticize any skater whether she deserves it or not. His comments on Liza are not classy at all. People with true class acknowledge their competitors' talents and success, at least publicly, regardless of what they feel inside.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I thought that after Frank finally got his OGM skater (Evan), he may become softer. Instead he comes across as a bitter old man. May be he has always been that way and finally getting that OGM gives him a free hand to criticize any skater whether she deserves it or not. His comments on Liza are not classy at all. People with true class acknowledge their competitors' talents and success, at least publicly, regardless of what they feel inside.

To quote the late John Candy in Cool Runnings- If you're not enough without the gold medal, you'll never be enough with it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
BTW, his complaints re: Fratianne's Oly loss was centered around an accusation against Fassi of vote trading. He claimed Carlo bribed judges to give Cousins the gold over Hoffman in exchange for giving Poetzsch the gold over Fratianne. He reportedly had quite the argument with Carlo and their relationship (formerly closer) was frosty for some time afterward.
Here's what Sonia Bianchetti, who was the referee of the men's event in 1980, had to say about Carroll's theory. The most relevant part is near the end:
At the Lake Placid Olympics, Linda placed 3rd in compulsory figures, 1st in the short program but only 2nd in free skating, behind Denise Biellmann, who performed an outstanding program. We could say that Biellmann's free skating was the disturbing element that changed the expected order after the results of 1979 Worlds. With the factored place scoring system, Linda could not move up enough to win. Poetzsch was placed 1st overall by all the judges except the American judge, Charles Foster (as I said before: "natural") and the Japanese judge, Kinuko Ueno. Notably, the referee of the ladies. event was Ben Wright (USA) and the panel of judges included only two judges from Eastern Europe: Ingrid Linke (GDR) and Radovan Lipovscak (YUG). So no "bloc judging" this time, either.
And Bianchetti's concluding paragraph is spot-on.

I thought it would happen, too. It was the one thing I found to be happy about at the time... :biggrin: I really think he would have been better telling Beverly Smith that he was focused on Mirai and hadn't seen Liza's programs yet, or something like that.

To quote the late John Candy in Cool Runnings- If you're not enough without the gold medal, you'll never be enough with it.
Cool Runnings is fantastic. :)

burntBREAD

Medalist
I thought it would happen, too. It was the one thing I found to be happy about at the time... :biggrin: I really think he would have been better telling Beverly Smith that he was focused on Mirai and hadn't seen Liza's programs yet, or something like that.

I think Beverly Smith was trying to get her point across through Frank ;)

bsfan

On the Ice

I totally agree on this and your comment on FS site. Only I haven't registered on FS.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Cousin and Poestch's wins may be debatable but they were also perfectly justifiable in that sport. The idea that the East Germans who had a legit great shot all on their own for 2 Gold medals, would somehow sell out one is silly. Notice how there are no posts wuz robbing Hoffman. Nor do you see Hoffman and his coaches screaming crying about his loss 30 years later. He lost in a close one (and arguable one) it is what is. The man moved on. Something tells me if Annet had been American like (later on Tara) that Frank wouldn't have denigrated her win like that. This doesn't mean there wasn't politics etc. I'm sure there was. But most unbiased observers would say there was nothing wrong with Annet's win.

I read an article with Adelina's coach where she said her former coach Zhuk use to say, you want to win, be clearly better than everyone else. Stand Out. Linda was a very good skater but many would say she was not the great free skater of her generate. (That was Biellman or Adelina's coach!) Nor was she the best at figures, that was by all accounts Annet.

Its just bad form to not accept a loss when any reasonable person who does not have a dog in that fight, can say that the results are defensible. To be upset in the heat of the moment is one thing but to scream about 20/30 years later is another.

And I think Frank's history of this is why people are not wanting to particularly cut him slack when he starts out doing this with a 14 year old.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grumpy old man! Stop trash-talking the competition and concentrate on your own failures.

Whatever psychology he's using on Mirai isn't working; maybe he should take lessons from Mr. Nicks on how to handle his skaters.
The same John Nicks that couldn't get Sasha to ever skate a clean SP and LP in the same event?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks Bekalc you said it all! It is the length of time Carroll holds onto these issues, plus his continued comments like his current ones about Tuk, that make me feel he lacks class. And what he said didn't show any great discernment anyway. I think most of us can see for ourselves that a 14 year old is going to lack the maturity of an older person.