Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 158 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Meoima

Match Penalty
Me eldest son is 183cm and he is only 16. I hope you right! I think my son is too tall for his skinny frame already.
Last year one of the former Japanese skaters told me that Yuzuru's height is one of the main reasons the Japanese fans attracted to him. He also said that Japanese consider tall as graceful, elegant and superior touch.
Most of my Japanese friends are 1m80. :laugh: Yet I don't find them handsome and elegant at all. Yuzuru is not tall if you compare him to other Japanese guys. He is just a little tall comparing to his teammates (Dai is just 1m65, Machida is just 1m62...)
Anyways, on a second thought, I think Yuzuru is just 1m72 at most. Look at him standing beside Alex Shibutani who is 1m80: http://instagram.com/p/nCaO5Twm1V/
I mean, the gap between Yuzuru and Alex seems to be more than just 10cm. :biggrin: Yuzuru is so tiny comparing to a 6 feet guy.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Anyways, on a second thought, I think Yuzuru is just 1m72 at most. Look at him standing beside Alex Shibutani who is 1m80: http://instagram.com/p/nCaO5Twm1V/
someone suggested he might not be wearing his skates in this picture

if you look at the pic from the Emperor's Garten Party
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/compliance/photos/140417/cpd1404171858013-p4.htm
he doesn't look much smaller than Kasai who according to wikipedia is 176cm
so I guess you might be about right :)
(could someone just get a measuring tape for heaven's sake :biggrin: )

lbc2138

On the Ice
But too tall is not good for quad, right? Look at Abbot or Lysacek jumps. Asian men sometimes get a few inches during early to mid twenties, I hope Yuzuru will stop before him being too tall. He might well end up having a successful career in modeling instead, since height is very rare in Japanese men.

True! Abbott is around 6 feet right? I don't think Yuzu will get up to that height, he will max out at 5'8 at the very very most so I think he won't be too affected by the change in his height.

Oh what I would do for Yuzu to do a spread in a magazine! Figure skaters make excellent models as seen by Mao, Yuna, Kanako, etc.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
can't. stop. giggling.

GIFs / Video

Notice how the other guy also does a quick bow after he sees Yuzuru do it? *stillgiggling* it's so adorable how he affects everybody around him (I'm guessing usually for the better)
And I love that he really doesn't seem to care who's watching or filming or whatever and just keeps singing :laugh:
(personally I try to avoid doing stuff like that in front of others, esp cameras... although I've been known to become a funny distraction for people waiting at pedestrian lights because I'm a fervent car-singer! :laugh:)

Esopian

Final Flight
someone suggested he might not be wearing his skates in this picture

if you look at the pic from the Emperor's Garten Party
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/compliance/photos/140417/cpd1404171858013-p4.htm
he doesn't look much smaller than Kasai who according to wikipedia is 176cm
so I guess you might be about right :)
(could someone just get a measuring tape for heaven's sake :biggrin: )

Yuzuru's height is indeed (kind of) a mystery. One thing is certain: he's definitely taller than 171 cm, the height listed in his profile. I've noticed this ever since the OGM ceremony in Sochi where all the medalists stood in the center of the podium and Yuzu was taller than Patrick Chan, who's height is listed as 168/173 cm (different in various sources).

During the small medal ceremony at Worlds 2014 (when he joked around with Javier), I noticed how Yuzu was practically the same height as Javier(173) when they stood on leveled ground. So I guess Hanyu is around 173 cm tall now; I think he appears taller than he actually is because he has a noodle build (skinnier than most male figure skaters) and since we see him in skates the most.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
can't. stop. giggling.

GIFs / Video

Notice how the other guy also does a quick bow after he sees Yuzuru do it? *stillgiggling* it's so adorable how he affects everybody around him (I'm guessing usually for the better)
And I love that he really doesn't seem to care who's watching or filming or whatever and just keeps singing :laugh:
(personally I try to avoid doing stuff like that in front of others, esp cameras... although I've been known to become a funny distraction for people waiting at pedestrian lights because I'm a fervent car-singer! :laugh:)

lmao, politeness before everything :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am just thinking, has the kid finished growing? I mean, most Japanese men finishes growing at this point. My friend in Japan told me so. My friends from high school only get fatter, not taller after 10 years. :laugh: and the kid is definitely not getting fatter.
If his body stays the same, it's a good for him. I hope he doesn't have to suffer from any growth spurt. Then again, his body has always looked like that from 16. So I guess his body will not change.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I am just thinking, has the kid finished growing? I mean, most Japanese men finishes growing at this point. My friend in Japan told me so. My friends from high school only get fatter, not taller after 10 years. :laugh: and the kid is definitely not getting fatter.
If his body stays the same, it's a good for him. I hope he doesn't have to suffer from any growth spurt. Then again, his body has always looked like that from 16. So I guess his body will not change.

:laugh: That's true of my high school classmates too, even if they are not Japanese. I guess whether Yuzuru will retain his sylph-like figure depends on his genes. Judging from videos I have seen, his mother, whom he resembles greatly, still has a girlish figure after all these years.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I know we can't get enough of this:

Ana@WhateverHime compiled into a video the reaction of various commentators (NBC, CBC, BBC, France2, and Sky Sport (Italy)) to Yuzuru's world record breaking SP score at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi:

http://www.tumblr.com/video_file/83541992290/tumblr_n4g6pvqzzO1s29fq9

For me, the French won for the highest level of excitement, beating out the Italians ;). Love most Sir Robin Cousins' comment just before the record score was flashed: "Oh my goodness me! Wait until you see this!"

Thanks again Ana for this!

arcticwolf

Rinkside

Ana@WhateverHime compiled into a video the reaction of various commentators (NBC, CBC, BBC, France2, and Sky Sport (Italy)) to Yuzuru's world record breaking SP score at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi:

For me, the French won for the highest level of excitement, beating out the Italians ;). Love most Sir Robin Cousins' comment just before the record score was flashed: "Oh my goodness me! Wait until you see this!"

Yeah the French were really the most excited. It is really interesting to hear different sport channels talk about Yuzuru's performance but my fave commentators would be the two men from British Eurosport - Simon and Chris. They've been fans of Yuzuru since 2009 Junior Worlds and even then they already predicted that Yuzu is going to be a big star someday.

Yuzusan

On the Ice

Thank You for video. I wasnt able to find french commentators for the short program. They have the vidéo but they cut it at the end .

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yeah the French were really the most excited. It is really interesting to hear different sport channels talk about Yuzuru's performance but my fave commentators would be the two men from British Eurosport - Simon and Chris. They've been fans of Yuzuru since 2009 Junior Worlds and even then they already predicted that Yuzu is going to be a big star someday.

They are mine too. They were already right about Yuzuru becoming a big star, now we will see whether they are right also in saying that he can be the finest figure skater in history.

Thank You for video. I wasnt able to find french commentators for the short program. They have the vidéo but they cut it at the end .

Welcome, Yuzusan. Can you please give us the translation of what the French commentators said when they saw Yuzuru's score (aside from the self-explanatory oohlala ;))? Thanks!

giulia95

Medalist
Info from the Major of Sendai about the sell of the tshirt

http://www.city.sendai.jp/kaiken/140422parade1.html

Source translation
http://seobiiiiieluv.tumblr.com/post/83540305867

If my maths are correct 28800000 yens have been rised what it will be US$280684.80

If someone can verified the translation

Many thanks for informations!

Yuzu loves Sendai, Sendai loves Yuzu!:)

I think it must be a big relief for Yuzu to know his hometown won't presumibily spend money for his parade!!

Paola D

Rinkside
Last year one of the former Japanese skaters told me that Yuzuru's height is one of the main reasons the Japanese fans attracted to him. He also said that Japanese consider tall as graceful, elegant and superior touch.

Generally being slim and tall, having a small and beautiful face and having long legs have become decisive factors for the definition of a good look now in Japan. I think these factors can be applied to both men and women. We can say Yuzuru perfectly fits this category. (Not very tall , but considerably tall for a Japanese man)
The other day I saw a news and entertainment show and one of their commentators (man) said about Yuzuru, "He is talented. He has a bright brain. He has a beautiful face and a good body structure (tall, slim and has long legs). Where does he have a fault? It's so unfair!!"
:biggrin:

roxella

On the Ice

What a nice video! And all the commentators were so happy for Yuzu! :yay::clap:

BusyMom

Medalist
Generally being slim and tall, having a small and beautiful face and having long legs have become decisive factors for the definition of a good look now in Japan. I think these factors can be applied to both men and women. We can say Yuzuru perfectly fits this category. (Not very tall , but considerably tall for a Japanese man)
The other day I saw a news and entertainment show and one of their commentators (man) said about Yuzuru, "He is talented. He has a bright brain. He has a beautiful face and a good body structure (tall, slim and has long legs). Where does he have a fault? It's so unfair!!"
:biggrin:
:laugh: yap he got it all. Just surprised some of western fans embraced his pretty boy typed too.

Yuzusan

On the Ice
They are mine too. They were already right about Yuzuru becoming a big star, now we will see whether they are right also in saying that he can be the finest figure skater in history.

Welcome, Yuzusan. Can you please give us the translation of what the French commentators said when they saw Yuzuru's score (aside from the self-explanatory oohlala ;))? Thanks!

The women : ... we wait (such a high)mark .... it is amaz.......
The man : This is a masterpiece.
The first man : Ohlalala, it is the new world record ! The new world record ......
The man on the same time : Ohlala it is the world record !!!! Yuzuru Hanyu is coming to give us ...... (so astonished that he has no words), it is amazing !
The woman : it is the first time that we witness someone over the hundred points !
The other man : ..... on a short program ......
The woman : yah, on a short program ...

For more precision : the man is Nelson Montfort, a well known sport commentator in the game since 90's, especially for figure skating and athletism. The woman is Annick Dumond, a figure skating coach, she trained Brian Joubert, Florent Amodio ... She adds technical point of view when skaters were performing. And the other guy who precise the "short program" is Philippe Candeloro, retired skater very popular in France and Japan (i'm sure you know him). Since 2000, they comment skating competition together.